Building a standlight lamp

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by MSeries, Sep 23, 2005.

  1. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    I'd like to make use of some cheap 6v lamps I have, with my dynamo. It
    will be possible to build a switch box so that I can manually switch
    from dynamo power to battery power when I stop. It would be cooler if
    this was done automatically as the voltage dropped, does anyone have a
    circuit that I can use to build such a device. I am not knowledgable
    eough to design such a circuit but I am skilled enough to follow the
    instructions to build such a device. Maybe one of the electronics mags
    has published it or maybe someone has put it on the web in the past.

    Tags:

  2. bin

    bin Guest

    Hi

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 03:11:56 -0700, MSeries wrote:

    > I'd like to make use of some cheap 6v lamps I have, with my dynamo. It

    [snip]

    Cycling Plus did a howto for what you're after several years ago and I had
    a go at building it. I can't find the article at the moment (if I
    locate it I'll let you know) While it worked it was very effective.

    The circuit had some gizmo for switching to my rechargeable bateries when
    the dynamo current dropped. The whole unit fitted inside a seven inch
    length of two inch plastic pipe.

    After several months it started to fail from corrosion. I found it
    difficult to seal the unit from condensation effectively. I then abandoned
    it for the German manufactured led Standlicht which worked very well and
    was much neater.

    I've since abandoned dynamos in favour of leds and a twin halogen headlamp
    and lead acid rechargable batery pack.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1386

    These have served me well for many years now.

  3. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    bin wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 03:11:56 -0700, MSeries wrote:
    >
    > > I'd like to make use of some cheap 6v lamps I have, with my dynamo. It

    > [snip]
    >
    > Cycling Plus did a howto for what you're after several years ago and I had
    > a go at building it. I can't find the article at the moment (if I
    > locate it I'll let you know) While it worked it was very effective.

    > After several months it started to fail from corrosion. I found it
    > difficult to seal the unit from condensation effectively. I then abandoned
    > it for the German manufactured led Standlicht which worked very well and
    > was much neater.

    I have B&M lights mit standlicht on my tourer and can't afford to buy
    another set. I don't want the hassle of swapping them (as well as the
    wheel) should i decide to take the fixed to work one morning. I have a
    rear lamp that will work, can get a Basta front for £10 and want the
    satisfaciton of building my own system.

    If you can find the article I'd be very grateful.

  4. bin wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 03:11:56 -0700, MSeries wrote:

    > I've since abandoned dynamos in favour of leds and a twin halogen headlamp
    > and lead acid rechargable batery pack.
    > http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1386

    Funny. I abandoned a very similar setup from CatEye after 3 years of
    use as it vibrated itself into bits for a dynamo. Good though the
    rechargable was and I had no complaints about it falling apart after the
    miles I had done with it, I would not go back.

    The whole thing of "did I remember to turn on the timer last night to
    charge the battery" was just to stressful. I never did forget but I
    never stopped worrying about it.

    Dynamo is just hop on and ride. It even turns itself on when it is dark.

    --chris

  5. MSeries wrote:
    > I'd like to make use of some cheap 6v lamps I have, with my dynamo. It
    > will be possible to build a switch box so that I can manually switch
    > from dynamo power to battery power when I stop. It would be cooler if
    > this was done automatically as the voltage dropped, does anyone have a
    > circuit that I can use to build such a device. I am not knowledgable
    > eough to design such a circuit but I am skilled enough to follow the
    > instructions to build such a device. Maybe one of the electronics mags
    > has published it or maybe someone has put it on the web in the past.

    The 0.6V diode drop is going to hurt with any naive design.

    http://www.nscl.msu.edu/~daniel/sreg.htm

    Might give you some ideas (includes the ability to charge batteries)

    Looks like he is using a dpdt relay to avoid the diode drop to the
    lights

    You might be able to achieve something similar using a spdt reed switch
    (does such a thing exist?) with two coils, one high resistance directly
    across the dynamo and one low resistance in series with the dynamo and
    lights but it's going to take a lot of fiddling to get it just right.

    Tim.

  6. jtaylor

    jtaylor Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Looks like he is using a dpdt relay to avoid the diode drop to the
    > lights
    >
    > You might be able to achieve something similar using a spdt reed switch
    > (does such a thing exist?) with two coils, one high resistance directly
    > across the dynamo and one low resistance in series with the dynamo and
    > lights but it's going to take a lot of fiddling to get it just right.

    (KO) DRR-DTH-445

    http://www.surplussales.com/Relays/REReed-1.html

  7. The problem with this project is that after all that work you will have
    a single light that ,when it goes wrong, will leave you entirely in the
    dark.If you bought a cheap clip-on led you have a stand light and,
    having two units, some confidence that you will never be without light.
    TerryJ