Building a touring bike - need help

xxamr_corpxx

Mar 16, 2006
Recently picked up a columbus frame on the cheap, and am now planning to build her up. Wheels are chipped, so I'll probably get some new rims. What I've done so far is:

1. Replace Shimano 600 cranks (double) with Shimano Acera triple.
2. What I'm planning next will need some expertise. The bike originally had a six speed cassette on the chipped wheel and seeing as I'm getting a new rear wheel, may as well upgrade to an 8 speed cassette at the same time (so no issues with the freewheel). I am concerned about two things -

a) The Shimano 600 derailer was quite a short reach one. Any way of upgrading it to "long reach" without buying a new derailer?

b) Spacing - Do I have to spread the dropouts?

And finally, will the Shimano Acera triple (from a 6 speed MTB) be compatible with the new 8 speed chain?

Thanks for the assistance, will keep you all posted as time goes.

1. The 8s chain should be alright with with the crank set.
2. You could try to track down a set of long cage plates for the RD, but it would be cheaper and easier to just buy a new one.
3. To start with, you'll be fine just jamming the new wheel into the current rear dropouts. If you start running into handling or shifting problems you may have to have it cold set and re-aligned.

xxamr_corpxx said:
Recently picked up a columbus frame on the cheap, and am now planning to build her up. Wheels are chipped, so I'll probably get some new rims. What I've done so far is:

1. Replace Shimano 600 cranks (double) with Shimano Acera triple.
2. What I'm planning next will need some expertise. The bike originally had a six speed cassette on the chipped wheel and seeing as I'm getting a new rear wheel, may as well upgrade to an 8 speed cassette at the same time (so no issues with the freewheel). I am concerned about two things -

a) The Shimano 600 derailer was quite a short reach one. Any way of upgrading it to "long reach" without buying a new derailer?

b) Spacing - Do I have to spread the dropouts?

And finally, will the Shimano Acera triple (from a 6 speed MTB) be compatible with the new 8 speed chain?

Thanks for the assistance, will keep you all posted as time goes.
http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html
is a good place to get answers on your frame spacing situation.
I suggest a 9 speed cassette unless you already have a suitable 8 speed indexed shifter. 9 speed is the current MTB standard.
Get a long cage derailer.
If you are going to cold set the drop outs have a person who is knowledgeable about your frame evaluate it for the possibilities of 130 or 135 mm OLD. If 135 mm is safely within reach, go for that and use a Shimano MTB rear 135 mm OLD hub for your rear wheel. They are stronger and more well sealed than road hubs.