Building a Trials course from scratch...need ideas...

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by trials_uni, May 9, 2006.

  1. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

    while scootin around on my uni yesterday i noticed this old abondoned
    tennis area behind my building...i had seen it before but it never
    clicked till now. ive decided to create a trials course in there. i
    just need some ideas(maybe even pictures) of what to put in there...ive
    never seen a real trials course. i have a way to get some cheap pallets
    and theyre doing construction to my building so getting some wood
    shouldnt be too much of a problem but i just need to kno what i should
    put in. if anyone has any ideas please reply.

    thanks
    -Phil

    --
    trials_uni

    TRIALS 4 LIFE !

    koebwil wrote:
    > I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
    > letters I don't want

    w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR

  2. unisteez

    unisteez Guest

    build some skinnies, some sandwich boards, and then get some pallets.
    then you have a course that you can switch up.

    personally i have 4 sandwich boards, 2 of them are a foot tall when
    they are set up and the other ones are about 2 feet tall when they are
    set up. i have a few skinnies built out of 2x4s and then i built some
    boxes to jump around on. but pallets will work just as well(if not
    better) if you can get em.

    --
    unisteez
    unisteez's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11988

  3. muzzle

    muzzle Guest

  4. unitoon

    unitoon Guest

    gapping bars

    --
    unitoon

    > Unicycling -- the great gender equalizer. - Bmemike

    > I've always wondered what it would be like to beat someone to death with
    > a unicycle. Then again, I don't want to damage any of my unicycles. -
    > Unisteve

    unitoon's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12011

  5. manon1wheel

    manon1wheel Guest

    go grab/steal some pallets from random grocerie stores

    go to construction sites and take trash wood/steal wood.

    thats what i do :) accept i dont steal.

    --
    manon1wheel

    Riley
    James_Potter-
    I fall with my upper body travelling backwards and my lower body
    travelling forwards from 5' up and hit the concrete with my tailbone
    and right elbow. It hurt, but I found it quite funny.
    manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

  6. Jerrick

    Jerrick Guest

  7. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

    as much as i would love to have a course like in love 99 i dont have
    quite that much room...thanks all for the help but i dont really need a
    portable course...this is gonna be pretty permanent.

    --
    trials_uni

    TRIALS 4 LIFE !

    koebwil wrote:
    > I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
    > letters I don't want

    w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR

  8. darchibald

    darchibald Guest

    The idea is not to make a permanent course vs. non-permanent course. You
    want to make a course that you can switch up. This week I think you
    said you are gapping 2.5 feet, so you build a course with say a 2.5 ft
    gap. Next week that will be easy and boring, so you don't want
    permanent. Get/make stuff you can move around.

    Just get wood and make stuff that'll look interesting to ride on then
    use more wood to make it stable. Start off little maybe with a couple
    pallets or whatever (though they are good for working on hop heights
    they can get a bit boring) then just keep adding and use your
    imagination.

    Make something like skate ranch from Tony Hawks American Wasteland.

    David

    --
    darchibald

    ' Album 481' (http://tinyurl.com/ey2qj) - My Gallery

    'A small pay rise this week, and I decided to, er... what do you young
    people say, er... pimp my ghetto uni, or something.' - Mikefule

    'You guys aren't thinking this through. "Hey, where's your other" BANG'
    - Brian McKenzie
    darchibald's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6240

  9. manon1wheel

    manon1wheel Guest

    yeah, just go to some grocery stores and ask the manager if they can
    spare some pallets. (usually they will throw them in your face) they
    are stackable and they are easy to move around

    --
    manon1wheel

    Riley
    James_Potter-
    I fall with my upper body travelling backwards and my lower body
    travelling forwards from 5' up and hit the concrete with my tailbone
    and right elbow. It hurt, but I found it quite funny.
    manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

  10. Spudman

    Spudman Guest

    If you want to make it interesting, then get random junk that people
    have thrown out, like water heaters, car seats, swamp coolers, broken
    windows, etc. I find that jumping from one pallet to another gets
    pretty boring after a while.

    --
    Spudman

    Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752

  11. zippy

    zippy Guest

  12. manon1wheel

    manon1wheel Guest

    you can do alot of things with pallets. you can make giants sawndwich
    boards. just use you imagination

    --
    manon1wheel

    Riley
    James_Potter-
    I fall with my upper body travelling backwards and my lower body
    travelling forwards from 5' up and hit the concrete with my tailbone
    and right elbow. It hurt, but I found it quite funny.
    manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

  13. maestro8

    maestro8 Guest

    Most of the pallets I've put in my course have either broken or flex
    like crazy... pallets are generally only good for stacking to make a
    taller object. What you need to get are some good 2x4's, 2x6's, 4x4's,
    etc. if you want to make something permanent and reconfigurable. If
    you do end up using pallets, make sure to put some braces (small blocks
    of wood inbetween the slats) to strengthen them a bit. Put a piece of
    plywood on top of your pallet stack if you want it to really last.

    If you can score some wooden cable reels or shipping crates, those make
    good bases for skinnies and ramps. Bend a piece of rebar into a
    little L and drive it into the ground, through a reel or crate, to
    stabilize the obstacle. Nothing sucks quite like your obstacle
    toppling underneath you after landing a gap onto it!

    I've also picked up some tree rounds (1 - 3 foot sections of tree
    trunk) and they make very stable bases... no rebar needed in most
    cases... unless you put them on their side. It's interesting to have
    some round and off-camber obstacles on your course... gapping from flat
    to flat isn't quite as challenging.

    As for connecting your obstacles, head to the hardware store and pick
    up some nails and deck screws. Get nails around 2 1/2" long (to
    connect 2x4's together) and others that are 4-4 1/2" long to connect
    fatter stuff. Make sure and get nails with fatty heads on 'em so they
    don't poke into your tire. Use the nails to connect things that you'll
    want to reconfigure. Get some nice 3" - 4" deck screws to make more
    permanent connections... the heads tend to get ground to sh*t when
    screwing things together. Keep a hammer handy near the course as nails
    tend to work their way out of "wobbly" obstacles.

    What I find works best is making one long trials line that's kinda
    circular in nature so that I can hop into and out of it at any point...
    when I get good enough to do the whole loop, it's time to reconfigure.
    I also put some posts / gapping bars inside and outside the loop to
    give me entry / exit obstacles.

    Let us know how your course shapes up!

    --
    maestro8

    Groucho Marx

  14. zippy

    zippy Guest

  15. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Tue, 9 May 2006 16:41:05 -0500, trials_uni wrote:

    > if anyone has any ideas please reply.

    See http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/props.htm

    for some suggestions on how to build simple trials stuff.

  16. unijesse

    unijesse Guest

  17. sparrowhawk

    sparrowhawk Guest

  18. wadebrothers

    wadebrothers Guest

    We heat our house with wood so we usualy have a lot of split wood laying
    around. I like to stack it up and nail boards to it to make ramps and
    jumps. We also have a pedal grabbing plank. Your course could be
    epecially cool if you could build a rock pile for gapping.

    --
    wadebrothers
    wadebrothers's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11968

  19. dan de man

    dan de man Guest

    my mum ripped my pallets apart after I had a bad stack
    use ramps and mabey support a plank w/ rope maby (an idea i had for
    ages now)

    --
    dan de man

    Jethro wrote:
    > Welcome to Hotel Unifornia. You can check out, but you can never leave.
    >
    > Help yourself to anything in the fridge.
    >
    > And please don't feed the clowns.

    dan de man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11403

  20. tomtrevor

    tomtrevor Guest