Building a wheel with a S-A AW hub for a frame with 126mm spacing

Luigi de Guzman

Guest
Quick question:

What would be required to build a wheel with a Sturmey-Archer AW hub for a
frame with 126mm rear dropout spacing? Would it be possible to build the
wheel symmetrically (no dish at all)?

-Luigi

I'd venture to say that it wouldn't be all that hard from the looks of
it. If it's a couple mm off, some spacers should center the hub right
up. That said, it's been a while since I messed with one, so I might be
talking out my butt, have a look at the picture and specs and see for
yourself:

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/hubs_3spd_AW.php

"Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Quick question:
>
> What would be required to build a wheel with a Sturmey-Archer AW hub for a
> frame with 126mm rear dropout spacing? Would it be possible to build the
> wheel symmetrically (no dish at all)?
>
> -Luigi

What would be required? I assume you mean spacers?
You can either:
Bend the frame a little closer
Squeze the frame each time you fit the hub
Use spacers between the OLNs

A standard SA hub will be just a little off center, not enough to note
though. If you go with the spacers and a 126 you can get it in the middle.

Dave
Noblesville IN

Dave Reckoning wrote:

> You can either:
> Bend the frame a little closer
> Squeze the frame each time you fit the hub
> Use spacers between the OLNs
>
> A standard SA hub will be just a little off center, not enough to note
> though. If you go with the spacers and a 126 you can get it in the middle.

Are the spacers easily-available? Would I need to add them on one or
both sides?

-L

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
> Dave Reckoning wrote:
>
> > You can either:
> > Bend the frame a little closer
> > Squeze the frame each time you fit the hub
> > Use spacers between the OLNs
> >
> > A standard SA hub will be just a little off center, not enough to note
> > though. If you go with the spacers and a 126 you can get it in the middle.
> >

> Are the spacers easily-available?

Yes

> Would I need to add them on one or
> both sides?
>
> -L

You might not need any. Mount the naked hub in your drops first and see
how far the flange to dropout spacing is to begin with.

On Wed, 10 May 2006 23:25:33 -0400, Luigi de Guzman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Quick question:
>
>What would be required to build a wheel with a Sturmey-Archer AW hub for a
>frame with 126mm rear dropout spacing? Would it be possible to build the
>wheel symmetrically (no dish at all)?

If my recollection is correct, it would be easiest to respace the rear
and build the wheel normally. The axle length of the SA hubs isn't
something that you can fiddle with, and they didn't give you loads
more of it than you need. There's not a tremendous amount of dish in
a wheel built for an SA hub anyway.

Before you get carried away, make sure the dropouts are angled enough
that you'll be able to adjust out the play in the chain.
Near-vertical short dropouts just won't do; they need to be horizontal
or long and angled so that the slack can be removed.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

There are 6.25" long axles available through certain retailers (harris
cyclery). (As opposed to 5.875" I believe)
This may be needed if you want to leave the rear triangle spacing
alone.

Also consider that the SA hubs need to have the hub axle locked to the
frame, usually with special flatted washers that prevent the axle from
rotating. If you are mounting the hub in new-ish dropouts the axle may
be able to rotate.

I love these hubs and have about 4 of them. Let me know if I can
provide any more help,
Mord