Building CTL vs. Building FTP: A Perspective Change

otb4evr

Apr 22, 2005
So, with the release of the PMC and all of the chatter on the blogs, Topica and here, I have had a change in perspective when it comes to training.

Let's see if I can make any sense...

My main goal of training has switched to building CTL. It used to be building FTP. I think that building FTP will be a by-product, but the main priority will be to build and carry a high CTL through the first part of the season and let it slowly drift down during racing.

This differs from this past year, when I tried to get FTP as high as humanly possible and tried to keep it up with intense workouts during the racing season. This year, I will try to rest more during heavy racing weeks.

When looking at race files this past year, I would make a judgement call concerning an area where the cyclist was dropped/having difficulty that they needed specific work to build their FTP.

Now, I am wondering what a higher CTL would have gained them. I think they might have hung on if their CTL, hence fitness, was higher. Regardless of FTP...

Does this make sense?

Am I looking at things all wrong?

Has anyone else started looking at things differently recently?

Jim

otb4evr said:
Yes, I have had many of the same thoughts that you have expressed here, but I have stopped short of your conclusions (or my interpretation of them). It's still power that wins races, and the goal of training is to build power. I do intend to (macro-)structure my training differently this year, using the performance manager, but remember that while evaluating the training load, it's assumed that the training composition is suited to the rider and the event. I don't believe that just doing sweet-spot training (SST) all year and modulating the number of hours to produce high TSB scores, will produce my best performances. I need to train for those hard-climbs, repeated surges, sprints, long breakaway efforts, etc. in order to race well, and I don't see Performance Manager being the answer for that (although the power profile may be a big help again this year).

Bottom line: I'll be looking for SST early in the program to build CTL and hopefully FTP. After that, it'll be intensity and racing to build shorter-term power while CTL probably drifts slowly downward. If that looks remarkably like the programs that Beerco and others (who've had access to the PMC beta, lucky bastards :p ) have hinted at this year, congratulations - you've been paying attention. OTB, sorry if that's pretty close to what you had in mind, it was hard to tell how far you were taking it with PMC. :)

otb4evr said:

Jim

Funny, I was coming to the opposite conclusion. :)

I got my CTL up to 125-130 and was fit as I have ever been and was only doing OK in races as my FTP was still my limiter. I had plateaued FTP-wise and figured I would try to add as much volume as possible to see what would happen - not much change.

I haven't yet played with Performance Manager, but, while one can certainly argue that a high FTP opens the door to winning certain races, I can't see how the same could be said of CTL. In fact, can't one have a truly pathetic FTP and still have a high CTL?

In some cases, the trees are more important than the forest. ;)

otb4evr said:
So, with the release of the PMC and all of the chatter on the blogs, Topica and here, I have had a change in perspective when it comes to training.

Let's see if I can make any sense...

My main goal of training has switched to building CTL. It used to be building FTP. I think that building FTP will be a by-product, but the main priority will be to build and carry a high CTL through the first part of the season and let it slowly drift down during racing.

This differs from this past year, when I tried to get FTP as high as humanly possible and tried to keep it up with intense workouts during the racing season. This year, I will try to rest more during heavy racing weeks.

When looking at race files this past year, I would make a judgement call concerning an area where the cyclist was dropped/having difficulty that they needed specific work to build their FTP.

Now, I am wondering what a higher CTL would have gained them. I think they might have hung on if their CTL, hence fitness, was higher. Regardless of FTP...

Does this make sense?

Am I looking at things all wrong?

Jim
CTL is generally considered a measure of your fitness. But fitness for what? If you have built CTL through lots of Z1/2 work, then that's predominantly what you are getting fitter for. That wouldn't necessarily help you in a points race or a track TT or pursuit where FTP, VO2 Max and AWC play a large part. What goes into making up CTL (your fitness) needs to be ultimately specific to your target event*.

* Since CTL is derived from daily TSS and TSS is a function of duration and intensity, then CTL doesn't distinguish lots of long steady miles from stacks of standing starts, sprints and anaerobic efforts.

The biggest mindset change I think many will see is that they don't train enough (or consistently enough). The PMC is kind of scary like that...
wink.gif

Alex Simmons said:
The biggest mindset change I think many will see is that they don't train enough (or consistently enough). The PMC is kind of scary like that...
wink.gif

For sure that's one very important aspect of it.

The other is to look at your goals, limiters, and CTL, building carefully with a mix of intensities and volume that will help you reach your physiological goals. If you just focus on getting CTL really high, or FT, or MAP really high it's unlikely you'll do as well as you want.

ric

What is CTL?

Do you want to start training for a high number which your computer calculates? Or do you have a real training goal? Improving your maximum lactate steady state (MLSS) or VO2max?

Well, I still believe in Reverse Periodization. I think that hammering out the VO2Max work in the early stages of the year makes a lot of sense to me. I also still believe in “blocking” my intense workouts. I have seen great gains in FTP from doing so. I also believe that having a good anaerobic capacity is what is needed to do well for mass-start races.

I think this has more to do with making sure that I still do the SST work. Previously I have backed off the moderate work when the intensity has picked up. So, it has been either hard or easy.

This is where I have seen a lack. 1 hour easy is about 30 TSS, where 1 hour SST is 80 TSS. Over the course of a season, 75 – 125 TSS / week makes a huge difference.

Alex and Ric make great points related to the mix of what makes up CTL. I completely understand how you must do specific work related to your goals, but I think more importantly was the comment how the PMC will show you if you are not training enough.

I think that it has come down to the fact that I was not training long/hard enough. I feel that when racing season came about, I was spending quite a bit of time doing zone 6 workouts or doing easy rides. I was still getting about 10 hours a week, but my weekly TSS was low compared to the beginning part of the season. So, the change will be that I swap one easy and one hard day for 2 SST days. I will also start racing twice per event vs. once. This should keep me a bit fresher for the weekend, while keeping my CTL where it needs to be.

Woofer, could you elaborate on your statement about having a high CTL and still not doing well in races? Were you rested enough for your peaks? Did you modify your ATL to take into account such a high CTL? Did you allow enough specific rest for your ‘A’ races? You mentioned that FTP was your limiter. How did you know this?

You mention that your FTP plateaued, so you started kicking up the volume. This is where I feel I am, however, a 125 CTL is waaaay above where I think I will be able to be. I was looking at 90-ish…

Well, we were told that the PMC would change the way we trained, and it has for me…

Thanks AC…

Jim

otb4evr said:
I think that it has come down to the fact that I was not training long/hard enough. I feel that when racing season came about, I was spending quite a bit of time doing zone 6 workouts or doing easy rides. I was still getting about 10 hours a week, but my weekly TSS was low compared to the beginning part of the season. So, the change will be that I swap one easy and one hard day for 2 SST days. I will also start racing twice per event vs. once. This should keep me a bit fresher for the weekend, while keeping my CTL where it needs to be.
Personally, I think counting TSS from easy days or JRA towards training is a waste to begin with. I guess I'm not seeing how a ride can be both rest/recovery and training at the same time, or why someone would try to make it so.

The SST graph makes a lot more sense when viewed from the PMC perspective. The reason it's the sweet spot is because the body can tolerate a lot of it, and the gains are good with respect to FTP. IOW, you can generate tons of *useful* CTL in that area. Once you start into the harder stuff, CTL will certainly drop because the body will need more time to recover. IMO, riding easy during that needed recovery time isn't *useful* CTL, it's just wasting hours trying to keep the numbers up.

During race season, I'm expecting to get most of my SST during races or spirited group rides, which will allow me to add some intensity during the week. Races just don't have the sustained intensity to call them an 'intensity workout.'