building dirt jumps

begina_rider_14

Aug 16, 2005
hi, i found a great site for a nice jump, today i went and started digging there only to find ants and large spiders pouring out from rotting logs:mad: . Should i find a new place or will they clear out when we start jumping it:confused: . Any advice would be great.:)

Can't we all just get along? Run them over, either they will clear out or they will all gang up on you and kill you. It's worth it, for a good jump.

KennyO said:
Can't we all just get along? Run them over, either they will clear out or they will all gang up on you and kill you. It's worth it, for a good jump.
Haha thanks for that.

If you can, soak the ground before you do any work, as it will flush them out. They are likely not burried too far into the ground, since the wood was likely their base.

Conniebiker said:
If you can, soak the ground before you do any work, as it will flush them out. They are likely not burried too far into the ground, since the wood was likely their base.
Thanks for that and yes they are just living in the rotten logs:rolleyes:

and...why are you building on rotten logs?? your jump is gonig to collapse and your gonna do a sweet endo.if i were in your position, just build a jump to bridge the log, cause log gaps can go to pretty mighty extents, i jumped a 15 footer(5m) once.

FSRXCRIDER said:
and...why are you building on rotten logs?? your jump is gonig to collapse and your gonna do a sweet endo.if i were in your position, just build a jump to bridge the log, cause log gaps can go to pretty mighty extents, i jumped a 15 footer(5m) once.
yeh your probably right i poured petrol down the ant holes that got em out of there before i even lit the match

When building jumps I like to use a log base,preferrably cedar it will last for ever,I live in an area with an abundance of trees and tough to find good dirt.Just lay the logs in with two wedges pounded in the front,the logs allow you to adjust your pitch a little before covering in dirt,pack with water and remember you can never pack it to much.This whole deal saves alot of time moving dirt which means more time to ride. Good luck