Building DREAM bike around Klein frame

blingUK

Oct 25, 2006
Hi everyone im new here! :):):)

I'm in the process of building a DREAM bike with no budget. I would like recommendations from you guys for components. Been away from the mountain bike scene due to my road bike, now I'm ready to splash the dosh and get a stunning MTB. Have already bagged an awesome Klein frame.

The parts I've chosen so far are......

Stem – Thomson Elite X4

Steatpost – Thomson masterpiece

Handlebar – Easton EC90 XC

Headset – Chris king

Saddle – WTB pure V black

rear mech – XTR

front mech – XTR

Crank – XTR

V-brakes – Avid Ultimates

Please help me with other recommendations and finish off the list? I'm gonna stick with V brakes to keep weight down. Also can't decide on a fork, leaning towards a PACE fork. No idea on wheels too.......help help help?? :confused::confused::confused:

blingUK said:
Hi everyone im new here! :):):)

I'm in the process of building a DREAM bike with no budget. I would like recommendations from you guys for components. Been away from the mountain bike scene due to my road bike, now I'm ready to splash the dosh and get a stunning MTB. Have already bagged an awesome Klein frame.

The parts I've chosen so far are......

Stem – Thomson Elite X4

Steatpost – Thomson masterpiece

Handlebar – Easton EC90 XC

Headset – Chris king

Saddle – WTB pure V black

rear mech – XTR

front mech – XTR

Crank – XTR

V-brakes – Avid Ultimates

Please help me with other recommendations and finish off the list? I'm gonna stick with V brakes to keep weight down. Also can't decide on a fork, leaning towards a PACE fork. No idea on wheels too.......help help help?? :confused::confused::confused:

My recommendation would be to ditch the v brakes and go with some Formula Oro Puro discs. They are probably just as light as the v-brakes, and the ride quality will be much more on par with a 'dream' bike.

Pace fork - Do it.

Ditch the rear XTR mech and go with x.0 with matching shifters.

wheels - stan's notubes olympic wheels are light and foolproof with tubeless. Get them with some DT 240 hubs...

evanhyde said:
My recommendation would be to ditch the v brakes and go with some Formula Oro Puro discs. They are probably just as light as the v-brakes, and the ride quality will be much more on par with a 'dream' bike.

Pace fork - Do it.

Ditch the rear XTR mech and go with x.0 with matching shifters.

wheels - stan's notubes olympic wheels are light and foolproof with tubeless. Get them with some DT 240 hubs...

Pace fork, DONT do it. They have a tendency to leak and for seals to be dodgy. I would also avoid fox forks as the quality is not what it was 2 years ago. Look at some of the top end rockshox forks (Reba) as they have come on leaps and bounds since sram took over. Just because they are not the most expensive does not mean they are not the best.

Cranks wise I would avoid shimano and have a look at some of the top end race face stuff. Its better, and stronger although not necessarily lighter and the chainrings are not made out of butter.

Agree about ditching the Vees, get hydro disks, check out hope mono minis/m4s depending on the power you need. By no means the lightest but definitely offers the best feel and modulation.

Wheels wise, I would say either Hope or Chris King depending on where you are in the world. Hope if UK, CK if states based. Another option if you are uk based (assuming so from the name) would be to import some spinergy wheels from the states and although you may have trouble getting spares/ repairs, providing you arent too heavy on equipment they should do a great job for you.

i agree about switching from xtr rear der to a SRAM setup. i did that and will never look back.

btw, which klein did you get? i sold my attitude when i got my ellsworth.

This is what i'd do:
XO rear der with XO gripshifts
SRAM chain
'07 XTR crank & front der
Wheels - Stan's olympic rims, WTB hubs, with whatever tyres work for your conditions
Forks - Manitou R7
Stem - Ritchey WCS
Discs - Formula Oro Puro
Bars - not the Easton's since you can't run them with bar-ends. So either Maxm or Ritchey WCS.

no budget, huh?

lose the xtr -- x.0 rear de & TRIGGERS!

r7 is a good choice; consider a minute 4:00, too

mavic crossmax, check weights, they have a variety of models of 'max; i saw 200g+ diff between SL & enduro models

go disc -- the right set will stop you if you roll down a wall. hope, formula, magura, avid are all good hydros -- avid or ird double-bangers for mechs, giving you some weight savings