Building my own bicycle

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by John Y, Sep 4, 2004.

  1. John Y

    John Y Guest

    Please could you advise where to obtain a list of the parts, tools and
    skills needed to build my own racing bike. Details of problems faced
    by others would also be most useful! Thanks

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] (John Y) writes:

    > Please could you advise where to obtain a list of the parts, tools and
    > skills needed to build my own racing bike. Details of problems faced
    > by others would also be most useful! Thanks

    I am presuming here that you are not actually going to build the frame from a
    tubeset and lugset; nor are you contemplating building the wheels yourself.

    Even so, correctly determining bottom bracket, headset, seatpost and stem
    type and clamping diameter might be somewhat daunting for a novice.

    I don't mean to be negative here, but would suggest that you rely on a
    reputable dealer to guide you in your choice of components.

    Might I be permitted here to recommend Bulltek Sports?

    If you find the ``Frames'' link on the site, I would suggest that you
    investigate the ``Leader`` bicycle. It comes complete with everything you will
    need and the sizes of the various components will all be matched. The bike
    does _not_ come assembled although assembly is not difficult. It comes
    Campagnolo equipped antd there are choices of three different Campag grouppos.

    I have know Xavier Cintron for years and he is totally trustworthy. You will
    be allowed to specify, within reasonable limits, alternative parts and
    Xavier's after sales service is second to none. Plus he knows a few tricks if
    you live in a jurisdiction where taxes might be superimposed on your purchase.

    http://www.bullteksports.com/

    Also you might look at Vecchio's in Boulder as Peter Chisholm is also a
    thoroughly reputable dealer with whom I have had nothing but totally
    satisfactory dealings.

    http://www.vecchios.com/

    --
    le Vent a Dos, Davey Crockett
    Six Day Site: http://sixday.741.com/

  3. crit pro

    crit pro Guest

    [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]rs.com>...
    > [email protected] (John Y) writes:
    >
    > > Please could you advise where to obtain a list of the parts, tools and
    > > skills needed to build my own racing bike. Details of problems faced
    > > by others would also be most useful! Thanks

    > I am presuming here that you are not actually going to build the frame from a
    > tubeset and lugset; nor are you contemplating building the wheels yourself.
    >
    > Even so, correctly determining bottom bracket, headset, seatpost and stem
    > type and clamping diameter might be somewhat daunting for a novice.
    >
    > I don't mean to be negative here, but would suggest that you rely on a
    > reputable dealer to guide you in your choice of components.
    >
    > Might I be permitted here to recommend Bulltek Sports?
    >
    > If you find the ``Frames'' link on the site, I would suggest that you
    > investigate the ``Leader`` bicycle. It comes complete with everything you will
    > need and the sizes of the various components will all be matched. The bike
    > does _not_ come assembled although assembly is not difficult. It comes
    > Campagnolo equipped antd there are choices of three different Campag grouppos.
    >
    > I have know Xavier Cintron for years and he is totally trustworthy. You will
    > be allowed to specify, within reasonable limits, alternative parts and
    > Xavier's after sales service is second to none. Plus he knows a few tricks if
    > you live in a jurisdiction where taxes might be superimposed on your purchase.
    >
    > http://www.bullteksports.com/
    >
    > Also you might look at Vecchio's in Boulder as Peter Chisholm is also a
    > thoroughly reputable dealer with whom I have had nothing but totally
    > satisfactory dealings.
    >
    > http://www.vecchios.com/

    Wrong newsgroup for this subject. End this thread now.

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Please could you advise where to obtain a list of the parts, tools and
    > skills needed to build my own racing bike. Details of problems faced
    > by others would also be most useful! Thanks

    Assuming you really mean you want to build your own bicycle,
    <http://www.phred.org/~josh/build/build.html> is a basic introduction to
    brazing steel frames, the most popular approach for amateur builders.

    --
    [email protected] is Joshua Putnam
    <http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

  5. [email protected] (crit pro) writes:

    > [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]rs.com>...
    > > [email protected] (John Y) writes:
    > >
    > > > Please could you advise where to obtain a list of the parts, tools and
    > > > skills needed to build my own racing bike. Details of problems faced
    > > > by others would also be most useful! Thanks

    > > I am presuming here that you are not actually going to build the frame from a
    > > tubeset and lugset; nor are you contemplating building the wheels yourself.
    > >
    > > Even so, correctly determining bottom bracket, headset, seatpost and stem
    > > type and clamping diameter might be somewhat daunting for a novice.
    > >
    > > I don't mean to be negative here, but would suggest that you rely on a
    > > reputable dealer to guide you in your choice of components.
    > >
    > > Might I be permitted here to recommend Bulltek Sports?
    > >
    > > If you find the ``Frames'' link on the site, I would suggest that you
    > > investigate the ``Leader`` bicycle. It comes complete with everything you will
    > > need and the sizes of the various components will all be matched. The bike
    > > does _not_ come assembled although assembly is not difficult. It comes
    > > Campagnolo equipped antd there are choices of three different Campag grouppos.
    > >
    > > I have know Xavier Cintron for years and he is totally trustworthy. You will
    > > be allowed to specify, within reasonable limits, alternative parts and
    > > Xavier's after sales service is second to none. Plus he knows a few tricks if
    > > you live in a jurisdiction where taxes might be superimposed on your purchase.
    > >
    > > http://www.bullteksports.com/
    > >
    > > Also you might look at Vecchio's in Boulder as Peter Chisholm is also a
    > > thoroughly reputable dealer with whom I have had nothing but totally
    > > satisfactory dealings.
    > >
    > > http://www.vecchios.com/

    > Wrong newsgroup for this subject. End this thread now.

    Oh. I'm so frightfully sorry. Could you please dircet me to the correct
    newsgroup?

    --
    le Vent a Dos, Davey Crockett
    Six Day Site: http://sixday.741.com/

  6. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    in article
    [email protected]rs.com,
    [email protected] at [email protected] wrote on 9/4/04 9:34
    PM:

    > [email protected] (crit pro) writes:
    >
    >> [email protected] wrote in message
    >> news:<[email protected]rs.com>

    >>> I am presuming here that you are not actually going to build the frame from
    >>> tubeset and lugset; nor are you contemplating building the wheels yourself.
    >>>
    >>> Even so, correctly determining bottom bracket, headset, seatpost and stem
    >>> type and clamping diameter might be somewhat daunting for a novice.
    >>>
    >>> I don't mean to be negative here, but would suggest that you rely on a
    >>> reputable dealer to guide you in your choice of components.
    >>>
    >>> Might I be permitted here to recommend Bulltek Sports?
    >>>
    >>> If you find the ``Frames'' link on the site, I would suggest that you
    >>> investigate the ``Leader`` bicycle. It comes complete with everything you
    >>> will
    >>> need and the sizes of the various components will all be matched. The bike
    >>> does _not_ come assembled although assembly is not difficult. It comes
    >>> Campagnolo equipped antd there are choices of three different Campag
    >>> grouppos.
    >>>
    >>> I have know Xavier Cintron for years and he is totally trustworthy. You will
    >>> be allowed to specify, within reasonable limits, alternative parts and
    >>> Xavier's after sales service is second to none. Plus he knows a few tricks
    >>> if
    >>> you live in a jurisdiction where taxes might be superimposed on your
    >>> purchase.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.bullteksports.com/
    >>>
    >>> Also you might look at Vecchio's in Boulder as Peter Chisholm is also a
    >>> thoroughly reputable dealer with whom I have had nothing but totally
    >>> satisfactory dealings.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.vecchios.com/

    >> Wrong newsgroup for this subject. End this thread now.

    > Oh. I'm so frightfully sorry. Could you please dircet me to the correct
    > newsgroup?

    (psst, lock the door behind him)

  7. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BD5FE7C3.915C%[email protected]
    > in article
    > [email protected]rs.com,
    > [email protected] at [email protected] wrote on 9/4/04

    9:34
    > PM:
    >
    > > [email protected] (crit pro) writes:
    > >
    > >> [email protected] wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]rs.com>

    and

    from

    yourself.

    stem

    you

    bike

    You will

    tricks

    > >> Wrong newsgroup for this subject. End this thread now.

    > > Oh. I'm so frightfully sorry. Could you please dircet me to the correct
    > > newsgroup?

    > (psst, lock the door behind him)

    Looks like he took up one of Pappys old broom sweeping jobs but much more
    forceful. That's actually funny, nothing intended to Pappy, he usually meant
    well.

  8. "John Y" wrote:
    > Please could you advise where to obtain a list of the parts, tools and
    > skills needed to build my own racing bike. Details of problems faced
    > by others would also be most useful!

    Many of us have bought frames and built them up into complete bikes. But
    doing that for a first bike is not a good idead economically or aany other
    way.

    The usual progression is to buy a complete bike, and then gradually buy some
    tools and acquire the skills to maintain it. Only then does it really make
    sense to build your next bike up from a bare frame. Even then, the main
    advantage is not saving money, but getting the exact component mix you want.

    Art Harris