Building Road Bike From Mtb

JudeChow

May 4, 2006
Hi, everyone, this is first post, I just got interested into Cycling, after I bought a 6-speed Folding Bike. I biked quite a ways in the small 16", and thought I could get into Cycling as a sport/hobby, and hopefully I can race one day. I am turning 20 soon, and don't have much money. I want to know if it is possible to convert a mountain bike into a road bike. I just got a free bike this morning, it is old, but it rides decent, and I was looking at rebuilding the bike using its frame. I would like to build a road bike, just wondering if that is possible, and how abouts would I go ahead with this? I want something really cheap, I don't want to spend a fortune until I know for sure this is a sport I am serious about. I was thinking getting road rims and tires, and road bike handle bar, new brakes, I think the bike has side pull brakes, and maybe a cheap crank set etc. Furthermore, What do I use to clean, lubricate, the bike to make it work smoother, Thanks!!

By the time you spend all that money, you could have bought a lower level road bike. You can't put road wheels on that frame if it is a mountain frame. Mountain bikes use 26" wheels and tires and road bikes use 700c wheels and tires. I recommend that you just put slicks on the wheels you have and ride the bike. If you find that you really like riding then buy a road bike. But I would not invest all that money in the bike you have just to see if you like riding.