building the ultimate wheel???

moggy

Nov 17, 2005
Lets forget about all the pre-built wheel sets available for a moment

if you had a gun wheel builder.....what would your choice of parts be to build the ultimate all round wheel????

I would be interested to hear what some of the gear junkies out there come up with.....:D

Im building up some ambrosio crono f-20's with 240s dt swiss hubs, black Dt revolution spokes and black alloy nipples, goin for the stealth look. sould be fairly light too.

IEatRice4Dinner said:
Im building up some ambrosio crono f-20's with 240s dt swiss hubs, black Dt revolution spokes and black alloy nipples, goin for the stealth look. sould be fairly light too.
Those sound very nice. Congrats! :cool:

IEatRice4Dinner said:
Nice choice.....;)

moggy said:
Lets forget about all the pre-built wheel sets available for a moment

if you had a gun wheel builder.....what would your choice of parts be to build the ultimate all round wheel????

I would be interested to hear what some of the gear junkies out there come up with.....:D
how much do you weigh?
what type of riding?
what budget?

My next set is probably going to be Record hubs and IRD Cadence rims laced up with Wheelsmith AE 14/15 spokes. As Dave said, weight and riding conditions matter a lot. At 150 lbs, I'm probably at about the limit to confidently take those rims out on Vermont roads.

daveornee said:
how much do you weigh?
what type of riding?
what budget?
205 pounds
road riding/racing
big budget

p.s. I am very hard on wheels!!!:eek:

I'd build it up with some deeper dish zipp rims. They should be pretty tough considering CSC uses them in the classics and such. Maybe even try the 'cross rim if you are that hard on wheels.

For hubs I would go with something pretty strong like a some record hubs. Maybe even use a powertap SL if you don't use power some other way.

I'd go with any DT spokes

Me too - Zipp 404/808 rims on Record hubs.

I lucked into a set of 404's on ebay last year for not too much, and it's hard to take them off of the bike. Smooth ride, and definitely quicker on the downhills.

if u want some strong hubs get somethin like chris king :) or for somethin u can use for the rest of your life phill wood