shimano xlr m950 36h
mavic ex721
dt spokes

drivetrain
shimano slx
crank 44/32/22T
F/R derailleurs
cassette 11-34

my question is can i use shimano 105 shifters with this set up?
If not point me in the right direction please.
want to use standard road bars.

if this set up seems kinda wack to you for a tour like this let me know
i would like to enjoy it with the least amount of problems.

thank you for your help
domino

You are talking about 105 brifters? As long as you match the number of gears in the drive train to the capacity of the shifters, you shouldn't have any problems, at least not up through the 9-speed group. I am not sure about the 10-speed SLX Dyna-Sis system.

One big consideration that you need to look into is the compatibility of the brake handles to the type of brakes that you are using. I would be reluctant to try using brifters with hydraulics or v-brakes unless I knew beforehand that they were compatible.

so i can use road bike shifters with mtb derailleurs.
didnt think that would work for some reason.

havent chose what brakes ill be using.
any sugestions?

For the rear you can use 9-speed mtb derailer and cassette with a road shifter, but not for the front. Road and MTB front derailers have different cable pull.

For brakes you'll need cantis, calipers, mini-Vs or Avid road-specific disc brakes. A Travel Agent will let you use regular V-brakes. There are wire-to-hydraulic adapters available for those insisting on running drop bars together with hydraulic discs, see: http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/eurobike-2010-trickstuff-cyclo-cross-disc-brake-converter-27723?CPN=RSS&SOURCE=BRROADNEWS But I guess they are likely to be a tad pricey.

for road levers/shitfers you need Cantilever brakes, V-brakes will have a funny pull. If not, the Avid road specific disc brakes suggested above.
for your triple crank and 11-34 cassette setup you need a Long Cage rear derrailleur.
if it is a truly off-road tour you will be better off with a mountain bike, its eaiser to handle at low speeds while loaded, less prompt to flat tires, suspension forks needed for the combination of bad roads and speed (specially when the road looks like a tin-roof, something to blame on trucks, cars or other heavy users of the country road). If you insist on a road setup at least put on some pretty wide tires, 700-28 or 700-30, they are also a good match for cantilever brakes anyway.
Also true for harsh roads and fully loaded; your rack could break because of the extra stress even though you were respecting its weight limit,
p.s. i have seen guys with the simplest of setups making it all the way, just driven by their enthousiasm and some good luck... so happy holidays :)

I think that the RAPID RISE rear derailleur is a good choice to mate with a Shimano ROAD shifter to compensate for what I perceive to be as balky down shifting when the drivetrain is under load ([COLOR= #808080]others do not recognize the less-than-immediate shift as a problem[/COLOR]) ...

FWIW. I "love" Shimano components, but I will say without equivocation that I think that Campagnolo shifters are superior ... and, Campagnolo's non-QS, 10-speed are almost universal -- you can mate them with 8-/9-speed Shimano shifters to achieve 8-or-9-speed Shimano indexing by a normal connection (for 8-speed indexing) or with the hubbub.com connection (at 3 o'clock to achieve 9-speed indexing)..

The "left"/ (front) Campagnolo shifter has enough indents to allow it to work with ANY front derailleur from any era.

A pair of alloy handled, non-QS (i.e., non-Xenon based) 10-speed shifters will cost less than a pair of 105 shifters.

Another option would be to use BAR END shifters.

BTW. You can use regular ROAD brake levers with MINI V-brake calipers ...

While not ideal, you can use regular ROAD brake levers with a "standard" V-brake caliper on the REAR ... a travel agent should probably be used on the front when using standard brake levers.

In the past (prior to the advent of Mini V-brakes), standard ROAD brake levers are usually paired with cantilever calipers.

So-called "regular" V-brakes require levers designed for V-brakes -- Tektro makes a pair or ROAD levers designed for use with "regular" V-brakes.

--​

Do you know how much gear you are planning to carry? A trailer may be worth considering.

You may want to get a 48t outer chainring ... Shimano makes 48t 104BCD chainrings in both alloy & steel. A 46t for the outer chainring should probably be the smallest size you consider for the outer chainring.