Building up an old Merckx frame

Fletch1

Jul 26, 2004
Hey all. Got a deal on an old Merckx Columbus SLX frame and trying to figure out what I need to build it up. I had one a long time ago and loved it. This one will need new paint but is sure to be a beauty

I already have a Campy Daytona grupo on a Cannondale that I am going to switch over. I will have to get an Italian thread BB I suppose.

Anything special I should consider?

DiabloScott

May 15, 2003
Fletch1 said:
Hey all. Got a deal on an old Merckx Columbus SLX frame and trying to figure out what I need to build it up. I had one a long time ago and loved it. This one will need new paint but is sure to be a beauty

I already have a Campy Daytona grupo on a Cannondale that I am going to switch over. I will have to get an Italian thread BB I suppose.

Anything special I should consider?

I'm guessing you'll need a different stem for threaded headset.
If it's older than ~1989 you might have rear axle spacing issues.
May also have to resolve the downtube cable stop problem.

And it's GRUPPO.

boudreaux

Oct 16, 2003
DiabloScott said:
I'm guessing you'll need a different stem for threaded headset.
If it's older than ~1989 you might have rear axle spacing issues.
May also have to resolve the downtube cable stop problem.

And it's GRUPPO.
It's called a quill stem and isn't considered 'different' or an issue. If the spacing is 126 the stays can be spread by hand and a wider hub just dropped in and ridden. Cable stops for STI/Ergo mount on the downtube bosses,and lacking them, a clamp on stop is used.

Fletch1

Jul 26, 2004
boudreaux said:
It's called a quill stem and isn't considered 'different' or an issue. If the spacing is 126 the stays can be spread by hand and a wider hub just dropped in and ridden. Cable stops for STI/Ergo mount on the downtube bosses,and lacking them, a clamp on stop is used.
The spacing is wide enough for my rear hub to fit with an 8 speed cassette. One thing I noticed though, is that looking at it from the back, the rear wheel seems to be offset over toward the gear side and the rim is not centered under the brake bridge screw hole. Will this cause a problem with the brakes? Do I need a differently dished rear wheel?

John M

Jun 21, 2005
Fletch1 said:
The spacing is wide enough for my rear hub to fit with an 8 speed cassette. One thing I noticed though, is that looking at it from the back, the rear wheel seems to be offset over toward the gear side and the rim is not centered under the brake bridge screw hole. Will this cause a problem with the brakes? Do I need a differently dished rear wheel?
If the frame spacing correctly fits an 8s wheel, it is 130mm and will fit all current standard road rear wheels.

As for why the rim is not centered, there are several possibilities including:
1. The wheel may be dished incorrectly. Check the dish with a dishing tool and re-dish if necessary.
2. The dropouts may not be parallel. If so a correctly dished wheel will not be aligned between the seatstays and chain stays.
3. The wheel is improperly installed. If that frame is old enough, it has horizontal dropouts and you must be careful to properly center and align the rear wheel prior to tightening the skewer. There may or may not be small screws to assist in aligning the rear axle.

There could be other possibilities that escape my mind at this moment.

And yes, if the wheel is not centered between the stays, it will cause the brakes to engage the rim asymmetrically.