Building up

fuzzybuddha

Jun 2, 2019
I am having a little problem breaking through the wall. I max out at around 23 miles, on the trail. about 20 on the road. I am going to be doing a 30 mile charity run in November. I want to try and build up my endurance. Should I just push through and steadily increase my distance like every week? Or is it better to do it more gradually?

Last edited:
You shouldn't have any problem if you are already doing 20. If you are maxing out at 20, you may be pushing too hard. Figure out heart rate zones and stay in your Zone 2, which is an effort where you could speak a full sentence without have to take a breath. Then, increase you mileage by between 5% and 10% a week. You should always alternate "hard days" and "easy day" and at least a day in between rides. I also do hard weeks and easy weeks. This periodicity is one of the secrets of building strength, speed and endurance. Good luck! P.S. I'm 70 y/o with heart attack at 43 and quad bypass at 64. Since then I've ridden about 8,000 miles with no illness or injury. After about 2 months this season, 30 mile rides with 1,000 ft. of climbing are very easy. My goal is ride my age this year, which will be 71 miles. I may do that in August at an organized event or September on my lonesome.

Reactions: fuzzybuddha
I am having a little problem breaking through the wall. I max out at around 23 miles, on the trail. about 20 on the road. I am going to be doing a 30 mile charity run in November. I want to try and build up my endurance. Should I just push through and steadily increase my distance like every week? Or is it better to do it more gradually?

As long as you are making progress that's all that matters. Before you know it you'll reach your goal. Focus on the progress not on the 'problems'.

Hey, totally agree with you! It's all about that progress, no matter if it's on the trails or in life. Keep pushing forward and you'll smash those goals ‍♂️