Building Wheels with Mavic Open.......

gregoreo22

Mar 26, 2004
I am a novice in bikes. I own an '87 Peugeot and I work on it often, trying to upgrade, and in the process making many mistakes, but eventually I get them figured out. I just got a pair of NOS Mavic Open SUP Rims. They were cheap, so I got them. I'm trying to build a wheelset (first time), and they're both 28 holes. Can anyone recommend hubs that I could buy (old or used) that would work with these rims????:confused:

They didn't set me back much, and the hard thing is that I'm on a strict budget. I'm beginning to think that this is a bad idea... Any advice would be wonderful!!

greg

Originally posted by gregoreo22
I am a novice in bikes. I own an '87 Peugeot and I work on it often, trying to upgrade, and in the process making many mistakes, but eventually I get them figured out. I just got a pair of NOS Mavic Open SUP Rims. They were cheap, so I got them. I'm trying to build a wheelset (first time), and they're both 28 holes. Can anyone recommend hubs that I could buy (old or used) that would work with these rims????:confused:

They didn't set me back much, and the hard thing is that I'm on a strict budget. I'm beginning to think that this is a bad idea... Any advice would be wonderful!!

greg

how much do you weigh
how many cogs do you have
what are you tring to do to your bike

Originally posted by limike
how much do you weigh
Add.... what is the rear dropout spacing, and frame material?

Originally posted by limike
how much do you weigh

Well, I'm a real thin guy 6' , 135 lb. I'm trying to replace the sew-up wheels that came with the bike. They're descent, but I hate to have to rely on them. It's a 2 x 6 bike, and it has a freewheel on it. The tubing is HLE (steel), so I know I can get a 130 spaced wheelset into, but I'd rather not. I guess I would like to stick to a freewheel, because the availablitiy of 6speed cassette hubs is not there at all. My components are shimano. I thought it would be an adventure to try to build a wheelset, but again...I'm on a limited budget.

thanks for your help
greg

Originally posted by gregoreo22
Well, I'm a real thin guy 6' , 135 lb. I'm trying to replace the sew-up wheels that came with the bike. They're descent, but I hate to have to rely on them. It's a 2 x 6 bike, and it has a freewheel on it. The tubing is HLE (steel), so I know I can get a 130 spaced wheelset into, but I'd rather not. I guess I would like to stick to a freewheel, because the availablitiy of 6speed cassette hubs is not there at all. My components are shimano. I thought it would be an adventure to try to build a wheelset, but again...I'm on a limited budget.

thanks for your help
greg

what i would do is get a pr suzue track hubs
from harris cycles and build a fixie they have
them for 70 $ a pr in 28 hole even though
your not heavy 28 holes is not that much
imo when there is dish built into the rear
wheel by going fixed you can get rid dish
and of parts that you may need replacing
in the future and fixies are cool good luck