building your own wheels, not merely assembling them

"Cane" wheels are mentioned in some land speed records, so I googled
for cane wheels and learned that they were actually bamboo, which was
interesting, but then, well, the blind hog found a very tasty acorn:

http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/cyclingprelycra/racing/woodrims.htm

The UK page shows how Sergio Servado, who somtimes posts on RBT, built
and rode a pair of laminated wooden tubular (naturally) wheels with
short-life leather brake shoes.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Carl Fogel writes:

> "Cane" wheels are mentioned in some land speed records, so I googled
> for cane wheels and learned that they were actually bamboo, which
> was interesting, but then, well, the blind hog found a very tasty
> acorn:

http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/cyclingprelycra/racing/woodrims.htm

> The UK page shows how Sergio Servadio, who sometimes posts on RBT,
> built and rode a pair of laminated wooden tubular (naturally) wheels
> with short-life leather brake shoes.

The way you say that one might suppose that conventional brake pads
would not have worn out as fast. From riding on wooden rims over the
Alps, I can assure you that conventional brake pads wear even faster
and that they have the uncomfortable effect of melting and burning the
legs with bits of molten elastomer. Aluminum rims, besides being
lighter and less fracture prone, conduct heat excellently.

Brake heat is generated in the brake pads (the softer medium) and
because they are generally a non metal and non conductor, heat must
transfer to the rim to be dissipated. Matthauser put fins on the back
of his pads, possibly to make them look "scientifical" or because he
believed they would dissipate heat. Next time you make a hard braking
descent, feel the backs of the brake pads. You'll find they are cool
and the rim too hot to touch. As I have related, I generated steam
from water in my rims when descending a mountain pass.

Jobst Brandt

a noob (<[email protected]>) wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Carl Fogel writes:
>
> > "Cane" wheels are mentioned in some land speed records, so I googled
> > for cane wheels and learned that they were actually bamboo, which
> > was interesting, but then, well, the blind hog found a very tasty
> > acorn:

> http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/cyclingprelycra/racing/woodrims.htm
>
> > The UK page shows how Sergio Servadio, who sometimes posts on RBT,
> > built and rode a pair of laminated wooden tubular (naturally) wheels
> > with short-life leather brake shoes.

> The way

Don't feed the trolls k thx.

Paul Borg wrote:
> a noob (<[email protected]>) wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

Jobst Brandt is a "noob"? Seven (7) decades of riding experience,
10,000+ posts to this newsgroup alone, starting more than a decade ago
is hardly a "noob".

By the way, your "followup to alt.troll" ain't foolin' nobody.

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.