Built my first wheel!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard Goodman, May 31, 2003.

  1. Ok, I know lots of you have done it, and it was only a front wheel, and actually I was only
    replacing the rim by taping it next to the old rim and swapping the spokes over, so I didn't really
    have to worry about the lacing or dishing, so it's nothing really to shout about; but still I feel
    like marking the occasion. Thanks to Pete Biggs who suggested it and gave me the confidence to do
    it, and thanks to whoever it was (sorry, I forgot) who first mentioned the discounted truing stands
    at Halfords (there's still one available at Tottenham Hale if anyone's interested).

    Rich

    Tags:

  2. Well done!

    Vernon has a wheel on Nathan's bike to sort out :)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Richard Goodman wrote:
    > Ok, I know lots of you have done it, and it was only a front wheel, and actually I was only
    > replacing the rim by taping it next to the old rim and swapping the spokes over, so I didn't
    > really have to worry about the lacing or dishing, so it's nothing really to shout about; but still
    > I feel like marking the occasion. Thanks to Pete Biggs who suggested it and gave me the confidence
    > to do it, and thanks to whoever it was (sorry, I forgot) who first mentioned the discounted truing
    > stands at Halfords (there's still one available at Tottenham Hale if anyone's interested).

    You're welcome and well done

    I do like that moment of swapping the final spoke over then realising you've got a complete wheel
    which seemed to have laced itself!

    ~PB

  4. "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Ok, I know lots of you have done it, and it was only a front wheel, and actually I was only
    > replacing the rim by taping it next to the old rim and swapping the spokes over, so I didn't
    > really have to worry about the lacing or dishing, so it's nothing really to shout about; but still
    > I feel like marking the occasion. Rich

    I haven't done it yet - but am getting psyched up to have a shot (was amazed to get my truing stand
    for £10 in Edinburgh Halfords - priced at £19.99 but I must have arrived on their final reductions
    day and the computer knew.)

    Even if the hub is just transplanted from one rim to another don't you have to worry about getting
    the dishing right ?

    And where do you get a cheapo dishing stick/gauge/tool..... or is there a home build alternative ?

    Regards, Tim

  5. Phileas

    Phileas Guest

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Phileas wrote:

    >> And where do you get a cheapo dishing stick/gauge/tool..... or is there a home build
    >> alternative ?
    >>
    > To check dishing, just flip the wheel round in the jig .

    A gauge is more precise because wheel won't necessarily sit in the dropouts precisely the same way
    each time. It's more satisfying to use a gauge.

    ~PB

  7. "Tim Henderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message ..

    > Even if the hub is just transplanted from one rim to another don't you have to worry about getting
    > the dishing right ?

    The reason I said I didn't have to worry too much about the dishing was because, as I saw it, on
    the front wheel I only had to centre the rim between the flanges of the hub, which is quite easy
    to do by eye. On a rear generally the rim has to be offset from the centre line between the
    flanges because of the freewheel body, and perhaps that's more difficult to judge - at least
    that's what I thought.

    Rich

  8. Bob Flemming

    Bob Flemming Guest

    On 31 May 2003 23:26:40 -0700, [email protected] (Tim Henderson) wrote:

    >"Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Ok, I know lots of you have done it, and it was only a front wheel, and actually I was only
    >> replacing the rim by taping it next to the old rim and swapping the spokes over, so I didn't
    >> really have to worry about the lacing or dishing, so it's nothing really to shout about; but
    >> still I feel like marking the occasion. Rich
    >
    >I haven't done it yet - but am getting psyched up to have a shot (was amazed to get my truing stand
    >for £10 in Edinburgh Halfords - priced at £19.99 but I must have arrived on their final reductions
    >day and the computer knew.)
    >
    >Even if the hub is just transplanted from one rim to another don't you have to worry about getting
    >the dishing right ?
    >
    >And where do you get a cheapo dishing stick/gauge/tool..... or is there a home build alternative ?

    Ironically enough, I've just built one out of wood this morning - so basic it's not true, and yet
    still very accurate. Sadly I have no digital camera, or else I'd take a few snaps just to show you
    what I did - which amounted to nothing more than three strips of wood<two long pieces to touch the
    rim, and a shorter one for the measurement> held by a small bolt with a wing nut. Works fine.

    Interesting to test it too, since I re-built a wheel yesterday and gauged the dish by flipping it
    round in the frame. I was pretty convinced I'd got it right, but this morning I was about 1/8-1/4 of
    an inch out!!! Not the end of the world for the sort of bikes I tend to ride, but enough to feel
    pleased I'd been bothered to made a single gauge. This was a front wheel, but on a rear wheel, that
    kind of error might be very significant in relation to general strength too.

    If you're going to all that trouble to build a wheel, might as well get it as good as you can.

    bob

  9. Bob Flemming <[email protected]> writes:

    > Ironically enough, I've just built one out of wood this morning - so basic it's not true

    That sounds less useful than it would be if it _were_ true ...

    :)

    -dan

    --

    http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources

  10. Richard Goodman wrote:

    > Ok, I know lots of you have done it, and it was only a front wheel, and actually I was only
    > replacing the rim by taping it next to the old rim and swapping the spokes over, so I didn't
    > really have to worry about the lacing or dishing, so it's nothing really to shout about; but still
    > I feel like marking the occasion. Thanks to Pete Biggs who suggested it and gave me the confidence
    > to do it, and thanks to whoever it was (sorry, I forgot) who first mentioned the discounted truing
    > stands at Halfords (there's still one available at Tottenham Hale if anyone's interested).

    The Halfords' lead was very useful; no truing stands left in Orpington (sadly) but I picked up a
    nice pair of 14" wheel trims for a grand total of GBP 3-98!!!

    ** Phil.