Built up a bike for my mom (pics)



D.F.L.

New Member
Aug 17, 2007
18
0
0
43
Here's what I started with:

An "schwinn" ATB bike that I stripped apart. This is the pee yellow frame. I had wrap electical tape around the pedals before painting because I couldn't get crank off. This thing had been sitting in my parent's backyard for years.
imgp1408vy4.jpg


And here is the fork and a bunch of parts. I actually salvaged some stuff like the shifters and levers.

imgp1414dk8.jpg

imgp1415wj3.jpg
 
Ready for puttin' together
imgp1441xj3.jpg



New grips, cables, housing, handlebars, and bag. Old shifters. Ya can't see it here but I put on a new chain, new brakes, new cages, and new tires.

imgp1470da1.jpg
 
And here's the new beach road cruiser for the lady with an artificial hip.
imgp1467be1.jpg


imgp1472av6.jpg
 
Nice job. Always nice to salvage a bike. Of course, it probably would have cost less money, time and effort to just get a new bike, but the satisfaction of 'saving' an old bike is wonderful.
 
D.F.L. said:
And here's the new beach road cruiser for the lady with an artificial hip.
Dude, that's a nice thing to do for your mother. The bike looks good too BTW. Nice colour and nice paint job.
 
Powerful Pete said:
Nice job. Always nice to salvage a bike. Of course, it probably would have cost less money, time and effort to just get a new bike, but the satisfaction of 'saving' an old bike is wonderful.
Had a regular bike heaven going for a little while. A buddy of mine had a month off from the military and crashed at my place for a while with his Cannondale MTB. I had a Masi and a Trek in the garage. All while salvaging this thing.

The cars weren't allowed in the garage.
 
D.F.L. said:
Had a regular bike heaven going for a little while... Cannondale MTB. I had a Masi and a Trek in the garage...

The cars weren't allowed in the garage.
Ahh... the way it should be.
 
JTE83 said:
If it's a mom's bike shouldn't it be pink instead of blue?
I had to go to work every day with paint still on my hands. If I painted it pink, it would look like I tried to put on nail polish on a roller coaster. She'll probably only keep it till the Spring when she'll go get a decent WSD from Trek or something.

Then I'll put the flat handlebars back on it, put a rack on the back with a cooler, take it with me on football weekends, and get some excercise during my beer run for the the tailgate.
 
Very nice and a good deed for your mother's health and happiness. I assume you used over the counter spray paint, what brand? I did a similar job for my girlfriend but found the spray paint (rustoleum metal) doesnt hold up too well, chips and such. Nontheless, seven bucks in spray paint is a bargain over 300 plus for a pro paint. It will be interesting to see if certain brands are hardier.
 
WIGGUM1 said:
Very nice and a good deed for your mother's health and happiness. I assume you used over the counter spray paint, what brand? I did a similar job for my girlfriend but found the spray paint (rustoleum metal) doesnt hold up too well, chips and such. Nontheless, seven bucks in spray paint is a bargain over 300 plus for a pro paint. It will be interesting to see if certain brands are hardier.
Yeah, that's what I used. Definitely not the strongest stuff, and it took a hell of a long time to dry well. It's really humid where I live, I don't know if that may have hurt it. It served it's purpose though.

It was cheap, somebody else is into cycling, and I learned a lot about working on a bike. Already dreaming up how to build my own tri-bike. Now I just have to find a Felt frame lying around somewhere.
 
that's a nice bike. you did a great job with it! not to metion what a kind act that was.
 

Similar threads