Bulging inner tube

Euan

Guest
I've got an old Conti inner tube which bulges in one section when pumped
up outside the tire. It's been patched a few times, is it worth keeping
or should is it a blow out waiting to happen?
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

"Euan" wrote in message ...
> I've got an old Conti inner tube which bulges in one section when pumped
> up outside the tire. It's been patched a few times, is it worth keeping
> or should is it a blow out waiting to happen?

er.. simply throw it and get a replacement, they aint the most expensive
part of your bike... inner tubes are like undies - if you keep using your
old ones you'll get caught out one day..

cheers,
GPL

In article <[email protected]>, Euan <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I've got an old Conti inner tube which bulges in one section when pumped
> up outside the tire. It's been patched a few times, is it worth keeping
> or should is it a blow out waiting to happen?

It shouldn't matter -- tubes tend to do that if they are of uneven
thickness. Tyres stop it from being a problem.

--
Shane Stanley

wrote:

> I've got an old Conti inner tube which bulges in one section when pumped
> up outside the tire. It's been patched a few times, is it worth keeping
> or should is it a blow out waiting to happen?

It shouldn't matter -- tubes tend to do that if they are of uneven
thickness. Tyres stop it from being a problem.

--
Shane Stanley

"Euan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've got an old Conti inner tube which bulges in one section when pumped
> up outside the tire. It's been patched a few times, is it worth keeping
> or should is it a blow out waiting to happen?

All inner tubes will do this if pumped up enough outside the tyre. No
problem at all - when I use my tubes they're securely held inside the tyre
:) The blow out warning siren should go off if it is a bulge in the tyre
however.

Cheers
Peter

Euan wrote:
> I've got an old Conti inner tube which bulges in one section when
> pumped up outside the tire. It's been patched a few times, is it
> worth keeping or should is it a blow out waiting to happen?

If you put enough air into any tube they will all do that. If patched, they
will do it right next to the patch. It's not a problem. How much air are you
putting in and why?

Theo

Theo Bekkers said:
If you put enough air into any tube they will all do that. If patched, they
will do it right next to the patch. It's not a problem. How much air are you
putting in and why?

Theo

About 20psi, checking for leaks.

I've got two spares, this would make a third. After the boss started talking about punctures I'm getting kinda paranoid 'cause we *don't* talk about punctures!
--
Cheers
Euan

EuanB wrote:

> About 20psi, checking for leaks.
>
> I've got two spares, this would make a third. After the boss started
> talking about punctures I'm getting kinda paranoid 'cause we *don't*
> talk about punctures!

Way more than you need but bulging wont hurt the tyre, nor is it an
indication of impending failure.

Theo
The puncture gods are out to get you.

EuanB said:
About 20psi, checking for leaks.

I've got two spares, this would make a third. After the boss started talking about punctures I'm getting kinda paranoid 'cause we *don't* talk about punctures!
--
Cheers
Euan
I just bought some thorn tubes and they bulge outside the tyre, when pumped up, so just put your bulging tubes back in.

Yes we must not talk about punctures but I have had my quota for the month. Three last Sunday after the rain came down. I am better equiped now, thorn tubes and conti gator skin tyres on my training bike.

Dancier said:
I just bought some thorn tubes and they bulge outside the tyre, when pumped up, so just put your bulging tubes back in.

Yes we must not talk about punctures but I have had my quota for the month. Three last Sunday after the rain came down. I am better equiped now, thorn tubes and conti gator skin tyres on my training bike.

I haven't tried Thorn Tubes, what are they like?

I've recently switched from Conti's to Tiogas. Much thicker and, I think, more robust. Had a nick in my tire which caused a most unsightly bulge. Covered the last 5k just fine and replaced the tire. I reckon if I'd been on the conti inner tubes it'd have gone pop in short order.

I do like Conti gatorskins though :)
--
Cheers
Euan

"EuanB" wrote in message ...

> I do like Conti gatorskins though :)
> --

I'm with you on the Gators for an awesome training tyre.. get the kevlar
bead ones to save 50-60g per wheel (goorrnnn... get out of it you 'weight
doesnt count' people! (says me in a shooing off a dog voice))...

I've been using a Gator on my indoor trainer and have not had an issue with
wear... never punctured one on the road either.. except for when Ess
encouraged me to remove the staple from my tyre at Kangaroo Ground.. :)

cheers
GPL

GPLama said:
inner tubes are like undies
GPL

what brand ARE you using?

Remember that flat i got on BR a couple of weeks ago and you lent me that CF pump?

i relaised afte rfixin it and halfway up the hill that i had left the tube hangin off that streetworks post but there was NO WAY i was gonna go back down and get it :D

I did however contemplate telling you i had left your pump down there tho :D:D:D

Flying"you-gotta-be-a-schemer-to-win"Dutch

"flyingdutch" wrote in message ...

> GPLama Wrote:
>>
>> inner tubes are like undies
>> GPL

> what brand ARE you using?

I find the materials used in the Elle MacPherson range to be of superior
quality to any others that I have tried before.. oh.. did you mean tubes?

> Remember that flat i got on BR a couple of weeks ago and you lent me
> that CF pump?
> i relaised afte rfixin it and halfway up the hill that i had left the
> tube hangin off that streetworks post but there was NO WAY i was gonna
> I did however contemplate telling you i had left your pump down there
> tho :D:D:D

heh... I was nice enough to remember your sunnies that you left hanging on
the fence..

Everyone up for the Clintons Rd route this Sunday? Col de MOO!!

cheers,
GPL

GPLama wrote:

> Everyone up for the Clintons Rd route this Sunday? Col de MOO!!

I may even give that a crack this week, assuming I get a long run in
tomorrow and not Saturday. Is anyone gonna go slow enough to give me
directions? I feel like such a newbie.

DaveB "probably requiring 2 muffins this week"

On 2005-08-11, GPLama (aka Bruce)
> "flyingdutch" wrote in message ...
>>
>> GPLama Wrote:
>>>
>>> inner tubes are like undies
>>> GPL

>> what brand ARE you using?

> I find the materials used in the Elle MacPherson range to be of superior
> quality to any others that I have tried before.. oh.. did you mean tubes?

And what does your girlfriend prefer?

:)

> Everyone up for the Clintons Rd route this Sunday? Col de MOO!!

I'm doing the BR on Saturday for MBTC, but I'll try to be alert enough
to do it again on Sunday, in which case, yeah, as long as FD doesn't
wimp out of the clintons road, I'll do it. :)

FD: Don't get a hangover this time!

--
TimC
Sorry if there are error (factual or otherwise) in transmission - I'm

On 2005-08-11, DaveB (aka Bruce)
> GPLama wrote:
>>
>> Everyone up for the Clintons Rd route this Sunday? Col de MOO!!
>>

> I may even give that a crack this week, assuming I get a long run in
> tomorrow and not Saturday. Is anyone gonna go slow enough to give me
> directions? I feel like such a newbie.
>
> DaveB "probably requiring 2 muffins this week"

I'll be slow enough!

And If I'm there, I'll put my coffee order in now, before I forget:

latte and blueberry muffin thanks! :)

--
TimC
"32-bit patch for a 16-bit GUI shell running on top of an

I haven't tried Thorn Tubes, what are they like?

I've recently switched from Conti's to Tiogas. Much thicker and, I think, more robust. Had a nick in my tire which caused a most unsightly bulge. Covered the last 5k just fine and replaced the tire. I reckon if I'd been on the conti inner tubes it'd have gone pop in short order.

I do like Conti gatorskins though :)
--
Cheers
Euan
EuanB

I have been using thorn tubes in my mountain bike for about four years now with only one puncture in about 8000K.

I have not used them on a road bike as yet. Specialized make a special composite thorn tube but you cannot get them in Australia so I went to the traditional type made by Tioga, they cost $12.50 each.

I have only put one on the rear tyre, they are fairly hard to fit because they are so thick. I will just have to wait and see how it goes over a period of time.

"Dancier" wrote:

> I have been using thorn tubes in my mountain bike for about four years
> now with only one puncture in about 8000K.
>
> I have not used them on a road bike as yet. Specialized make a special
> composite thorn tube but you cannot get them in Australia so I went to
> the traditional type made by Tioga, they cost $12.50 each.
>
> I have only put one on the rear tyre, they are fairly hard to fit
> because they are so thick.

Ahah! You mean thornproof tubes. That's tricked people, who thought they
were a new manufacturer - I'd heard of Thorn bikes from the UK but knew
nothing about their tubes :)

Thornproof tubes are a type of tube made by several manufacturers designed
for puncture protection. Generally not recommended unless you ride in a very
thorn-prone area due to the heavy weight of the tubes. You can get better
puncture protection with less weight from most of the new tyres designed
with puncture protection layer, variously named as kevlar, double defense
etc.

Cheers
Peter