bulging rear tire - safe for riding on?

wolfpack95

May 23, 2007
I've got Maxxis Detonators with almost 1000 miles on them. After my ride today, I noticed the rear tire was bulging kinda bad. I've already ordered two new ones on-line but it will be a couple of days for them to get here.

Am I taking a huge risk by riding while waiting on the new ones to arrive? I was hoping to get 50 more miles out of them but don't want to end up as road kill.

wolfpack95 said:
I've got Maxxis Detonators with almost 1000 miles on them. After my ride today, I noticed the rear tire was bulging kinda bad. I've already ordered two new ones on-line but it will be a couple of days for them to get here.

Am I taking a huge risk by riding while waiting on the new ones to arrive? I was hoping to get 50 more miles out of them but don't want to end up as road kill.
Don't ride farther away from your home or car than you're willing to walk back.

That sucker is going to blow. The only question is how soon.

I agree, home time!

Buy some Contis with a higher thread count. :cool:

You may have been running the Maxxis a bit high in pressure. :eek:

gclark8 said:
I agree, home time!

Buy some Contis with a higher thread count. :cool:

You may have been running the Maxxis a bit high in pressure. :eek:
Rats, I figured this was the case but was hoping someone would lie and say I'd be fine :D

I keep the Maxxis at the max of 120 psi. Shouldn't I be ok at the max?

wolfpack95 said:
Rats, I figured this was the case but was hoping someone would lie and say I'd be fine :D

I keep the Maxxis at the max of 120 psi. Shouldn't I be ok at the max?
NO WAY! :eek: Normal is 95-105 for a 75kg rider!

wolfpack95 said:

Sometime buying tires locally is worth the few bucks extra - you get to ride again right away. Just a thought.

1000 miles is not very much for a set of tyres. If not the pressure, there must be something else wrong. What surface are you riding on?

rdk said:
1000 miles is not very much for a set of tyres. If not the pressure, there must be something else wrong. What surface are you riding on?
I'm closer to 90 kg (200 lbs). I ride with a guy close to my size and he's always put 120 psi in his bikes (similar tires with same 120 psi max) and never had a problem (he's been riding for 3-4 years).

I ride on asphalt roads (Georgia, USA) and there are a few places that need repair but it's by no means Paris-Roubaix cobblestone bumpy.

Now that I think about it, there is one stretch that may have caused this. Not sure if other countries do this but at some obscure stop signs here in the US, they put 3 sets of ruts in the road to warn approaching cars. We typically swerve over to the left to avoid these but could not yesterday due to traffic. They bounce you around pretty good and can't be good for the bike. Maybe this added stress plus tire age finally did me in. Sounds like I better get my rims checked out too.

they sound like a gun shot when they blow too...
eek.gif

Maybe you could try the Bouncy Balls from Vlad's post in this section of the forum.

wolfpack95 said:

If you really can't wait for your replacements before riding again, pop the tyres off, line the problem area with duct tape, reinstall and ride(with care - bring your cell phone or a pair of comfortable walking shoes).

I was looking forward to the prospect of sliding across the asphalt at 20 mph :) but instead, decided to play it safe. I purchased and installed a new tire from a local bike store before yesterday's ride.

I would have gone this route originally if they still carried the tire that came on my bike. Thanks for the replies.