Bulging veins on the sides of my head??

JungleBiker

May 17, 2004
I recently noticed that after a hard ride the blood veins on the side of my head (temples) tend to swell/bulge. Is this anything to worry about? I am aged 45 and feel okay, but I am curious to know why they bulge like that? :confused:

JungleBiker said:
I recently noticed that after a hard ride the blood veins on the side of my head (temples) tend to swell/bulge. Is this anything to worry about? I am aged 45 and feel okay, but I am curious to know why they bulge like that? :confused:
Doesn't sound like anything bad, but there's an episode of Star Trek you should watch!

JungleBiker said:

The same thing happens to me. I never noticed it before but recently I took my bike to work with me and rode afterward. When I got back and was getting ready to leave a girl I work with told me I had 2 big veins on either side of my head. I checked it out in the mirror. 20 minutes later they were gone.Doesn't seem like anything to worry about. Nick

Uh, it's called (blood flow). It's when your body gets to doing strenuous exercise, that your blood flow increases significantly. See, the harder you work, the faster your heart pumps blood throughout your body. The faster the blood flows, the more pumps through your veins, increasing the size of them to compensate for the increased blood flow. It's crazy!

I wonder if it is it also related to age (like grey hair, balding, wrinkles, sagging skin, etc)? I never noticed it when I was younger, but then I didn't ride as much as I do now. The dehydration comment makes sense because sometimes it seems more prominent than other times and I know I do get dehydrated sometimes.

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
Uh, it's called (blood flow). It's when your body gets to doing strenuous exercise, that your blood flow increases significantly. See, the harder you work, the faster your heart pumps blood throughout your body. The faster the blood flows, the more pumps through your veins, increasing the size of them to compensate for the increased blood flow. It's crazy!

Do you have a link to info on this or have info you can post regarding this?

thanks.

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
Sticks and stones... No medical documentation, just common sense.

A person with common sense would have just said this the first time.

Zascar/Nascar....whatever: Fine, let's fight. But as soon as you get worked up and veins start bulging, you had better quit so you don't hurt something.

JungleBiker said:

Common sense tells me that as you get more fit, you will have less fat on your face. The fat masks the veins, but when it's no longer there, you have more vascularity (visible veins). The same will be true on your legs and arms.

People lose fat differently. Some people lose it from all over their bodies evenly, and others lose it more from more localized areas.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the veins showing. It's kind of a badge of honor betraying your fitness level.

you likely have less subcutaneous fat in your face then when you were younger which hides the veins.

no issue really

That's all true. Remembering that I knew lots of young men who bench pressed and popped veins on their faces (figuratively). We called such visibility of the veins, if apparent on the torso, arms, legs, as evidence as being ripped, as fat free as possible and with muscle.

Older guys, or classical dancers, or rickshaw drivers, bodybuilders, etc,
may show extreme hose-like veins in relief on the legs, or anywhere,
"like a race horse".

Are race horses in any way blemished by fitness? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif
http://tinyurl.com/64jrype

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 128)]Whoa! Spark Plug![/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)][SIZE= 9px]=origin for the word, and inspiration for the name, "Google"[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)][SIZE= 9px]=Billy closed his eyes when I opened mine in '54[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= rgb(105, 105, 105)][SIZE= 9px]=thanks to z[/COLOR]efrenm for the record presentation[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 9px]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Murray_%28singer%29[/SIZE]

when you watch pros TTing, the viens in their necks are also bulging. Looks like their heads are going to explode...