Bulk export of WKO data

liversedge

Jun 28, 2004
Hi Everyone,

After a couple of months of intense activity and testing I am now releasing my wko to csv converter to the world. Pre-compiled binaries for Windows, Linux and OS X are available and the program has been tested on over 1,200 files from users of Powertap, SRM, Garmin, iBike, Ergomo, Polar, Computrainer and Velotrons and it succesfully extracted all graph data from all files parsed.

It is an open-source command line tool and available from https://sourceforge.net/projects/wko2csv

I do hope you find it useful, and if you find it doesn't work for your files then pm me and I'll take a look.

Thanks,
Mark

SolarEnergy said:
Wow great. Thanks a lot for sharing this as an open source project.

What does it do?

Because WKO stores data in a proprietary format you need to export it to an open format to use in other programs. The WKO+ export function will only let you do one file at a time. In addition, the output files it creates are less than ideal since they reduce completeness, accuracy or fidelity in one way or another.

My program allows you to convert WKO binary files in bulk (i.e. lots of files at a time) to a text based Comma Separated Variable format. It exports ALL data and does not lose fidelity or accuracy during the export.

If you have a large amount of historic data or you coach athletes who use WKO this tool may be very useful. Its also useful to have a backup of data in a format you know will be readable by any program.

liversedge said:
Because WKO stores data in a proprietary format you need to export it to an open format to use in other programs. The WKO+ export function will only let you do one file at a time. In addition, the output files it creates are less than ideal since they reduce completeness, accuracy or fidelity in one way or another.

My program allows you to convert WKO binary files in bulk (i.e. lots of files at a time) to a text based Comma Separated Variable format. It exports ALL data and does not lose fidelity or accuracy during the export.

If you have a large amount of historic data or you coach athletes who use WKO this tool may be very useful. Its also useful to have a backup of data in a format you know will be readable by any program.

I am very glad. I will give it a try soon and reply back.

Congratulations for the new baby boy !

liversedge said:
Hi Everyone,

After a couple of months of intense activity and testing I am now releasing my wko to csv converter to the world. Pre-compiled binaries for Windows, Linux and OS X are available and the program has been tested on over 1,200 files from users of Powertap, SRM, Garmin, iBike, Ergomo, Polar, Computrainer and Velotrons and it succesfully extracted all graph data from all files parsed.

It is an open-source command line tool and available from https://sourceforge.net/projects/wko2csv

I do hope you find it useful, and if you find it doesn't work for your files then pm me and I'll take a look.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark

I'm trying your wko 2 csv and i wonder if I'm asking too much.
I want to take the directory and the 255 WKO files to get 255 csv's
will you tool do that?

I'm using Ubuntu Linux and it appears that I dont have the syntax correct for the app.
do you have a "terminal command" line for me to try? does the app also out put a log when done? (if errors occur.)

Thank you for your hard work on this It's exactly what I was looking for!
Marc :)

liversedge said:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Mark

Mark

I'm trying your wko 2 csv and I wonder if I'm asking too much.
will you tool do that?

I'm using Ubuntu Linux and it appears that I dont have the syntax correct for the app.
do you have a "terminal command" line for me to try? does the app also out put a log when done? (if errors occur.)

marc66thomas said:
Mark

I'm trying your wko 2 csv and i wonder if I'm asking too much.
will you tool do that?

For sure.

I would create a new directory and copy all the wko files you want to convert into it, cd to it and then

wko2csv *.wko

should run through each wko and create a .csv file. You might want to download the latest stable binary distribution since I recently fixed support for more device types.

Regards,
Mark

liversedge said:
For sure.

I would create a new directory and copy all the wko files you want to convert into it, cd to it and then

wko2csv *.wko

should run through each wko and create a .csv file. You might want to download the latest stable binary distribution since I recently fixed support for more device types.

Regards,
Mark

So here is where I admit I'm over my head with Linux (Ubuntu).
I created a directory named "csv" used your suggested commands (next line)
" marc@ubuntu:~/csv$ wko2csv *.wko "
" bash: wko2csv: command not found "

I must have not installed the application correctly as it's not a recognised command.

I tried to put the app in the same directory too. no luck.
I'm back to the "read me.txt" for another read through.

marc66thomas said:
So here is where I admit I'm over my head with Linux (Ubuntu).
I created a directory named "csv" used your suggested commands (next line)
" marc@ubuntu:~/csv$ wko2csv *.wko "
" bash: wko2csv: command not found "

I must have not installed the application correctly as it's not a recognised command.

I tried to put the app in the same directory too. no luck.
I'm back to the "read me.txt" for another read through.

You were sooooooo close. If you put the program in the same directory then when you ran it you just needed to use "./wko2csv *.wko" (the PATH environment variable does not include the current directory, use "echo $PATH" to see where it does look for programs. If there is a /usr/local/bin or similar then copy wko2csv into that directory and the "./" will not be required.

Let me know how you get on?

Cheers,
Mark

liversedge said:
You were sooooooo close. If you put the program in the same directory then when you ran it you just needed to use "./wko2csv *.wko" (the PATH environment variable does not include the current directory, use "echo $PATH" to see where it does look for programs. If there is a /usr/local/bin or similar then copy wko2csv into that directory and the "./" will not be required.

Let me know how you get on?

Cheers,
Mark

That hand holding was what I needed. Thank you it worked. Saying good bye to vista hello to Ubuntu. Nice. Might you comment on this error? I got a few files with errors. "ERROR: T_marc_11_20_2008a.wko contains no GRAPHS"

marc66thomas said:
That hand holding was what I needed. Thank you it worked. Saying good bye to vista hello to Ubuntu. Nice. Might you comment on this error? I got a few files with errors. "ERROR: T_marc_11_20_2008a.wko contains no GRAPHS"

The file in question is almost certainly a manual entry and contains no data to export. Glad you got it working in the end.

Hello - I'm trying to use your software and I have a couple questions. #1 - I can get the program to load. I'm using Windows XP v.5.1. I browse from the command line (Run) and the program just 'blips' up for a fraction of a second the disappears. Any ideas?

#2 - I'm hoping that when I export to excel I will get these data fields: Date / Distance / Time / Energey (kj) / Avg Pwr / Comments. Will I get these fields?

Thanks!
David

Hey,

Thanks for this, I notice you are also a contributor to GoldenCheetah. I ran your wko2csv program and then realized GoldenCheetah has this same program built in.

My issue is that a vast majority of my .wko files are being Skipped when I run wko2csv in command prompt. So far the only way for me to covert each file is to individually export each file from TrainingPeaks WKO+ as a .csv file.

Any help on this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!!
Gavi

Thanks, this sounds incredibly useful. One quick question, does it also export the workout notes and workout goals fields?

Thanks,
rob