bulk performance nutrition

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by jhsbaker, Jun 5, 2005.

1. jhsbaker

jhsbaker New Member

Anyone that read my last post can see I'm getting a bit jeeped at buying overpriced energy bars. Yes, they are an efficient and convenient energy source while riding, but they are also EXPENSIVE!!!!!

Does anyone know of any websites that sell powerbars, etc cheaply in bulk quantities?

Tags:

2. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

i would imagine many places will sell anything at a reduced rate when purchasing in bulk. of course, it will depend on what you mean by "bulk", which bars etc you want, and where you might be located. i sell some of the energy products at a reduced cost, but it depends where you're located (as shipping could counter the reduced cost).

ric

3. Orange Fish

Orange Fish New Member

You could make your own energy-type bars in bulk and probably save money on shipping, etc. by just buying the ingredients you want/need and making as much as you need.

4. lumpy

lumpy New Member

5. FastFly

FastFly New Member

If you live near a GNC. Become a Gold card member and the first week of everymonth gets you I think 20% discount on anything you buy.

6. buzznet

buzznet New Member

have you tried: http://samsclub.com/

If you have a Sams locally, they might have more variety of bars in the store than they show on their site.

7. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

8. wilmar13

wilmar13 New Member

I just don't understand why everyone wants those ridiculous protein bars... every site I go to for energy bars, all they have is high protein-low carb, high protein-med carb, high protein-no carb... WTF do none of the people that buy this crap know anything about nutrition?

I am quite partial to Cliff Bars, but here in Brasil they are 5USD per. Does anyone have a recipe they use to make "homemade" bars that works out pretty well... I should also say that has a good blend of simple and complex carbs... you know like your body needs for ENERGY :D

9. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

dunno, complete waste of time and money.

not sure about home made bars, but i've used cereal bars, museli bars, breakfast bars, and fig rolls (newtons). also used jam and cornflake sandwiches. :)

ric

10. wilmar13

wilmar13 New Member

Yeah I am somewhat of a scrounger as well, but the portabilty leaves something to be desired... fig rolls do work though I didn't think of that... they are somewhat pure without a lot of crap (overprocessed carbs hydrogenated oils, etc.) are they not?

11. vlad

vlad New Member

Please tel lme the brand name and price of the "power bars" you use.

here is result google search
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Power+Bar+contents

third item down on the page "Power Bars"
    each Power Bar 2.3 oz has 45 grams carbo, 45grams protein
    it consists largely of several kinds of sugars and peanut butter.

you want proteins? 6 oz StarKist tuna in oil has 32 grams protein, zilch carbs and cost 50 cent.

one oz Planters peanuts has 7 protein grams, 6 carb grams

One solution to low cost protein is eat lots of tuna, and one Power Bar for dessert. Or buy a jug honey. it is sweet and relatively cheap compared to Power Bars.

......................................................................................................

12. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

My wife is the chief creator of these things in my house so I don't exactly what all the ingredients are but I do know she grinds flax seeds in a coffee grinder, adds some crushed granola and other cereal mixes with molasses & honey and bakes cookies/bars.

13. vlad

vlad New Member

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94464&highlight=adelle+davis

excerpt

proteins and fats fuel and repair the body.

page 22 Let's eat right to keep fit by Adelle Davis
    A similar study at Harvard University by Dr Thorn and co-workers who determined blood sugar levels for six hours after meals high in carbohydrates.
    A high-carbohydrate breakfast consisted of orange juice, bacon, toast, jelly, a packaged cereal and coffee, both with sugar and milk. The blood sugar rose rapidly but fell to an extremely low level, causing fatigue and inefficiency. A packaged cereal eaten only with whipping cream for the high-fat breakfast, after which the blood sugar inceased slightly, then remained at the fasting level throughout the morning.
    The high protein meal consisted of skim milk, lean ground beef, and cottage cheese; the blood sugar rose to the high level of 120 milligrams and remained there throughout the entire following six hours.
    To determine the effects of different types of food on energy production, metabolism tests were taken at frequent intervals. The metabolism, or energy production, increased only slightly after the meals high in fat or carbohydrate. After the high-protein meal, however , the metabolism rose more quickly than did the blood sugar and stayed high throughout the entire six hour study period.
    p 23 sugar, cereals, hotcakes fruit, fruit juice quickly changes to sugar during digestion . in minutes blood sugar may increase from 80 to 155 milligrams ..stimulates pancreas to pour forth insulin; the insulin in turn causes the liver and muscles to withdraw sugar and store it as a form of sugar, or glycogen or change it into fat, thus preventing it being lost in urine. The tremendous amounts of sugar defeat the purpose for which sugar is needed -- to produce enegy efficiently. Too much sugar is withdrawn due to the oversupply of insulin; the result, ironically, is fatigue