Bull Run Run 50 Miler

The Trailrunner wrote:

> Doug Freese wrote:
>
>> What I saw yesterday was many with trail shoes that seemed to be
>> slipping a lot more than I did. Of course I did not ask what shoe they
>> were wearing or if the bottoms were worn out.

> In slippery mud, the determining factor seems to be the type of rubber
> of the sole as opposed to the lug pattern. I've found Saucony's work
> pretty good but NB slips all over the place.

I've got a pair of Saucony trail shoes that didn't work well for me, but
its lugs are a little similar to my Trespasses, but not as slanted. I
had some NB904, which looked like it should be great on snow, but they
were terrible - slipped just walking down my driveway the first time I
tried them. In that case, I really think it was the compound they used
for the outer sole that made them so poor.

I think the type of mud, how deep, and how wet will make a difference
also. Clay / silt soils are likely to be very slick, and the clay ones
will really glob onto shoes, esp. those with rough surfaces, making
cement feet. Organic soils can also be slippery, but don't aggregate
quite that way, but won't be shed from the sole - at least you don't
pick up that much weight. If it's just a surface wetting, I can see
where screws that penetrate the slick surface and grab on subsurface
would be helpful where most rubber treads may slip. But the stuff I've
been playing in lately, I'm not convinced that a screw shoe would help
that much, but it might - goopy enough that you never have a firm
surface to grab onto - or you slip before you get there. (breakup
conditions right now so all the subsurface ice is thawing)

>The trade off is Saucony's
> pick up/hold the mud more than NB.

I think that's consistent with what I'd expect from the patterns. More
open patterns tend to shed snow / mud better. This fall I was looking at
tread patterns on car snow tires as well as fat tires used on bikes
designed for snow and sand.

>A good place to test how slippery a
> shoe is, is on wet wood like a wet, mossy bridge. If it holds there, it
> will most likely hold in mud.

Now I'll have to go find a wet, mossy bridge to test :) Actually, I
think there may be one in one of my upcoming races, but I can't think of
any locally.

>Of course, the cold temperatures of
> snow/ice might harden the rubber and change everything!

The best traction in cold - whether its shoes, car or bike tires - is
usually associated with softer compounds, and they stay softer at cold
temperatures. From what I've seen, it looks like the Finns have the
corner on cold weather rubber. But the softer rubbers, in general, seem
to provide better traction on a number of surfaces since there's more
surface contact. I'm not sure if there's anything special they do for
rock climbing shoes to give them their sticky qualities. My Trespasses
definitely have more grab than my old Saucony road shoes (Grid Stabils).

Thanks for your comments, Trailrunner.

Dot

--
"running is a mysterious journey that we take not just to beat other
people or to stay in reasonable physical shape - but to find out more

PS: One thing I did notice in common about all the people I saw on slick
trails this winter - all had traction devices on their feet AND had
telescoping poles. I finally broke down and got poles a couple weeks
ago, and they're really an asset for stability in many circumstances -
and hence increase the aerobic quality of the workout. Poles obviously
wouldn't be used in most races, but they really help in training.

Dot

--
"running is a mysterious journey that we take not just to beat other
people or to stay in reasonable physical shape - but to find out more
about ourselves" - Owen Anderson

Ahead poles from dots point: not beleave total she well ever change to
a run in snow.............
When d.f did bull run 7 or so years back:
first time I saw this:I try to do this in the gym. goal to whip
sw.....still well trying.... well to no pre donna 50 miles is too say.
or then to run Now: I could bite as a fish in
hunger......yerning.begging..pleding......andf/ n phil..... to do or
die..............

Now.the sun shine. weather calls.....I think it might b time to reality
on real world weather....... on my bike.

Bull run. the smell of the osk leaves and dirt. evan the cement has lost
the gray and trees are not the north green blue too.........
Today the sore and hurts sometime come on with out a warning. and
a twist can decide the faith of do or die.
add with the know how. one can by pass the ability to some uni seen
adenine and do........yet on my bike it says over in my head and sole.
I well ride.

I came on a road that was just plow.yesterday.......my brother in law
told me of such place there.....saw mom dad too this day out that
way......... dirt country sandy rocky and logs coarse. and venture out
on this. a way to the great lake port huron. a goal of mine. 120 miles
treck one way. om said church camp I must and can use a car......and
bring bike....a week there............port huron and up some.....

Bull run 50 miles.....run......

my 120 mile bike ride.calling me soon as water warms up some
maybe.......resonics and dout's........
backpack on back. sleep were ever.ham-?-oxs...eat off of land and 10¢
cans to boot for some coin change for adds or all foods..........

50 mile Bull run running most the days. or there cases 5 to 6 or
more hours. or df and others 8 to 12 to 16.....time limits.......evan
to finish it is greatest ver done.and merits a way towards the all
mighty goal.......
oh yes.
smiles.......
I can't back this up here......
wait a tick......
lol Yah baby........I am .sooooooooooo white.
Yarrrrrrrrr she blows.
I can smell it..............
canada"s babes with cartoons tattoos and calling me a ****er...........
Mobi **** I b aromatics.......
work here serching..to no pre donnas again...was told by every one in 30
years I know of and even or heard from.........
Butt boys are still here.......No......
and when my bike weelie happen and I still was standing.............
your lost Lee.....
they got jobs you know and "there" that guy.. a gaderade left as I left
a 30 foot chain and 2 hooks. My back arch on that ride mate.beer paid
for..all yours words. I evan had the g sting pic and other person info
gone..not to worry.......I well use your licence........
agen not really..I can't back this up ether............ said you would
and could use it......a dred gift found on the ride of a chain gang
leader on the hood.......ww e best.............30 feet and 2 hooks
and a 6 inch belt o stap...you can have the hat. found 5 others. and
our washs...... road this day..repeated over many times......I am not
con sid ed..selfish..and living off of others thank you very
much.........
well anyways......... evan at r-15=140sq miles o ride and hunt......the
more the merry....10¢ cans coin chnnge dudes.......and a beer.......I
am ot greeded.... dred life is i.d. distroid.....lee your
lost.............

Bull run....(the south)
evan the pains of re sidling to rest and recite testials and mo joes
still in tact. butt Y..oh Y.............can't seem to do. now a days.
more mads then the mad comic with a loser glove and a woman who could
make the randy newman kid look a like event....butt I held my
seat.......and she smiled. profiles fit both front and side.........
I do have some responsibility and a nest.
r×11= try for r x15 or 30 miles a day.AHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
280sq miles of turf to hunt weekly.(= 10 cent cans and trash.)
Bull run-Port huron waters ways.....
AHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh
just the waves a b calling.
I smell the salt n saw that blue..yesterday..been since before the end
of fall................in the wind. yesterday...arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
dusted down and not out.........How far I wrote 22.miles .butt past 2
weeks I was told I been short on my miles...one said......way
short.............brain warp gone.
call of the wilds. says......time to ride......
Lowtuc

a fricking flat tire. 6 miles out.
a backpack and hafe garbage bag to walk home.
felt great.
well this ever end.
probe not.
maybe 25 30 on bike and all $500.00 fine fer littering. won't go this
rute to lake heron that fer sure. there were zer 10¢ cans to be had.
and fricking beep beep beep beep. how many fricking times they got
to beep beep. them roads back yander was fine........... fricking he got
my mind and he put it out to the public..........
ahhhhhh a rest dogs got put in house. escape was
easy.........dads says what I do in his 80 year old brain know it all
says.......beep beep beep beep.......
and he do lest then the pros who make millions and both give me
zeo.......o....ro..........beep beep.......

50 miles is looking easyer every fricking day A *****..you shot
me..........

Daniel wrote:

> Please help me understand what you mean. I have had the experience of
> stepping on wet wood (to avoid mud) only to feel that scary half inch
> squitch sideways before traction takes over (displacing surface water?).
> But I don't get what's being said about mud at all. Isn't the issue with
> mud entirely up to how weak/fluid the substrate is? I too have been
> impatient with the wet weather in my corner of "sunny" California (northern
> Contra Costa County). The trails are often adobe mud churned up by grazing
> cattle. With deep slime are you still saying one kind of shoe sole is
> better for traction than another? Or are they only better because of
> mud-shedding properties or something?

Tread type and sole composition are independent issues. A softer sole
compound seems to have better traction than a harder one. Saucony's seem
(at least in my experience) to be made of a softer compound than NB BUT
having a more aggressive (deeper) lug pattern, also tend to pick up and
hold more mud. Living in CCC also, I have plenty of experience with mud.
As you point out, the substrate plays a big part. But I'm talking about
normal situations where there may be an inch on so of mud, with a firm
surface underneath like is typically found here a day or two after an
inch of rain. Running in our clay/mud when it's rained 6 inches over 3
days, ain't nothing going to stop you from slippin' on your butt; not
even Doug's screws!

--
- The Trailrunner

Anti-Spam Alert: If you wish to reply, cut the *BS*

Trails of the Diablo Valley
*Running - Hiking - Nature*
http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/trails/6016/

Doug Freese wrote:

> How about dry and cool? :) Which 50?

I can only wish! Quicksilver. 8500+' of climb with some fairly long
pulls. I did it 6-7 years ago when I first started doing 50M, 3 weeks
after another one. Raced the first one and felt surprisingly good at the
start so pushed QS too. Well, at least for 46M. Took me 1:20 to do the
last flat 4M :-( Held on for 2nd in AG though. Of course I was at the
opposite end of the AG then but hopefully I'm also a lot wiser now :)

> If you have to suffer it will be fun with the Diva. Maybe she will sing.
> ;)

That might make me race just to get away from her! Did you see her
musical selections from Umstead that started the whole Dirt Diva thread?
She's really a great kid, but that's the problem - she's like my kid
which means I have to naturally hate her music :)

--
- The Trailrunner

Anti-Spam Alert: If you wish to reply, cut the *BS*

Trails of the Diablo Valley
*Running - Hiking - Nature*
http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/trails/6016/

treed type and sole type has zero to do with the trails.
under the people who frocking know and been on them more then one times.
if your legs has pounding ad much luna running time in your ability to
spray over different terrain is not a variable......
try off trail running and see what I mean....
then get on a frocking dirt road after these butchers fine the nail to
burst the bubble...and they well..that is all they do.....and POP
goes the knee.........
a road as smoothes the hair on a 24 year oils woman back...... it makes
n different.
Neurons brain signals.........Who the hell would of thought odd that.
why looking at the u.s.a. flag on the butt of a woman. and pop......go
the knee.......fine. she was a few years older and kick my ass on a 2
mile off the trail insane and to get back on a path as big as a goat
thru a rambo ivy bine. were the f she go oh there she is. my body turn
in motion butt my ground leg did not....POp...........
shoes.......training.means ****......if you ain't got brain smarts
too......

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 23:08:52 GMT, The Trailrunner
<TheTrailhead*BS*@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Daniel wrote:
>
>> Please help me understand what you mean. . . wet wood . . . the issue with
>> mud . . . adobe mud churned up by grazing
>> cattle. . . . one kind of shoe sole is
>> better for traction than another? Or are they only better because of
>> mud-shedding properties or something?

>Tread type and sole composition are independent issues. A softer sole
>compound seems to have better traction than a harder one. Saucony's seem
>(at least in my experience) to be made of a softer compound than NB BUT
>having a more aggressive (deeper) lug pattern, also tend to pick up and
>hold more mud. Living in CCC also, I have plenty of experience with mud.
>As you point out, the substrate plays a big part. But I'm talking about
>normal situations where there may be an inch on so of mud, with a firm
>surface underneath like is typically found here a day or two after an
>inch of rain. Running in our clay/mud when it's rained 6 inches over 3
>days, ain't nothing going to stop you from slippin' on your butt; not
>even Doug's screws!

Ah. Got it. I think I have three kinds of shoes right now: the kind that
picks up mud, the kind that picks up gravel, and the kind that don't fit
right. :)

--
Daniel
[email protected]

Daniel wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 23:08:52 GMT, The Trailrunner
> <TheTrailhead*BS*@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Daniel wrote:
>>

>>>Please help me understand what you mean. . . wet wood . . . the issue with
>>>mud . . . adobe mud churned up by grazing
>>>cattle. . . . one kind of shoe sole is
>>>better for traction than another? Or are they only better because of
>>>mud-shedding properties or something?

>>Tread type and sole composition are independent issues. A softer sole
>>compound seems to have better traction than a harder one. Saucony's seem
>>(at least in my experience) to be made of a softer compound than NB BUT
>>having a more aggressive (deeper) lug pattern, also tend to pick up and
>>hold more mud. Living in CCC also, I have plenty of experience with mud.
>>As you point out, the substrate plays a big part. But I'm talking about
>>normal situations where there may be an inch on so of mud, with a firm
>>surface underneath like is typically found here a day or two after an
>>inch of rain. Running in our clay/mud when it's rained 6 inches over 3
>>days, ain't nothing going to stop you from slippin' on your butt; not
>>even Doug's screws!

> Ah. Got it. I think I have three kinds of shoes right now: the kind that
> picks up mud, the kind that picks up gravel, and the kind that don't fit
> right. :)

Here's some "not even Doug's screws" mud with some tips :)
http://www.runningtimes.com/issues/03may/mud.htm

Dot

--
"Dream Big, and dare to fail." --- Norman Vaughn
who was with Byrd in Antarctica and whose 99th birthday was Dec 19, 2004

"Dot" <dot.h@#duh?att.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Here's some "not even Doug's screws" mud with some tips :)
> http://www.runningtimes.com/issues/03may/mud.htm

2004 HAT run looked just like this but I was lucky enough not to take a
header. This years Bull run had some sections like this but most of us
bushwhacked a wide circle or slowly walked the slippery logs that were
in the middle of the mud.

-Doug

Doug Freese wrote:

> "Dot" <dot.h@#duh?att.net> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Here's some "not even Doug's screws" mud with some tips :)
>>http://www.runningtimes.com/issues/03may/mud.htm

> 2004 HAT run looked just like this but I was lucky enough not to take a
> header. This years Bull run had some sections like this but most of us
> bushwhacked a wide circle or slowly walked the slippery logs that were
> in the middle of the mud.

LOL. Yea, I can see where screws would help with slippery logs. I think
loggers use spiked shoes.

BTW, here's Trespass tread design - use multi-view for the view from the
bottom, but the lateral views give an idea of the triangles for tread
that I'm talking about.
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/1921506/c/10082.html

compare with 2100 soles which are much flatter
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/2850351/c/31514.html

Dot

--
"Dream Big, and dare to fail." --- Norman Vaughn
who was with Byrd in Antarctica and whose 99th birthday was Dec 19, 2004

"Dot" <dot.h@#duh?att.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> BTW, here's Trespass tread design - use multi-view for the view from
> the bottom, but the lateral views give an idea of the triangles for
> tread that I'm talking about.
> http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/1921506/c/10082.html

These beasts(no reference to Brooks) look like claws. The screws would
go into the lugs and follow the contour. The screws I have in hand are
#7x1/2 but they do come in 3/8. I have size 13 shoes and 2100's a very
beefy sole so no chance of going through.

By the way, I just looked at those shoes I raced in(a little funky)
and surprised at how many screws I lost. They suggest some crazy glue
under the head wilkl help them stay.

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 05:46:54 GMT, Dot <dot.h@#duh?att.net> wrote:

>> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 23:08:52 GMT, The Trailrunner
>> <TheTrailhead*BS*@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> . . . Running in our clay/mud when it's rained 6 inches over 3
>>>days, ain't nothing going to stop you from slippin' on your butt; not
>>>even Doug's screws!

>> Daniel replied:
>> Ah. Got it. I think I have three kinds of shoes right now: the kind that
>> picks up mud, the kind that picks up gravel, and the kind that don't fit
>> right. :)

>Here's some "not even Doug's screws" mud with some tips :)
>http://www.runningtimes.com/issues/03may/mud.htm
>
>Dot

Good stuff. Balance. Arms out laterally (chicken wings). Small steps.
As I was flat-footing with tiny steps through a minefield of puddles, cow
pies, and mud last week I was reminded of my childhood --

My mother mopping the family room floor: "You can't come in the floor is
wet!"

"I just have to go to the bathroom."

"Aaach! Okay come on through, but *take small steps*!"

Hmmm. My son claims success in fall trail races when it's been raining is
due to being good at fast downhill controlled skids. Ah, the young and
immortal!
--
Daniel
[email protected]