Bullet proof Tires

grifter

Nov 23, 2003
I am new to the road riding and would like to know what is the best advice on getting a pair of bulletproof wheels. I am a heavy rider 275lbs. And a bike shop referred me to a pair of Mavic Ksyriums, they run $ $700. As they were best able to handle my weight. I live in Southern California, does anyone know a master wheel builder that is near this location? Or does anyone know of a wheel set that could handle my weight without costing more than my bike? I have a steel frame Moser that is equipped with Dur-ace
My target price is between $400- 500 for a complete wheel set!

Thanks in advance ........ !

Originally posted by grifter
I am new to the road riding and would like to know what is the best advice on getting a pair of bulletproof wheels. I am a heavy rider 275lbs. And a bike shop referred me to a pair of Mavic Ksyriums, they run $ $700. As they were best able to handle my weight. I live in Southern California, does anyone know a master wheel builder that is near this location? Or does anyone know of a wheel set that could handle my weight without costing more than my bike? I have a steel frame Moser that is equipped with Dur-ace

Hmmm...interesting. Well, it comes down to a couple of things in my opinion. Are you looking for something chi-chi looking like the Ksyriums? Or, do you want total functionality and dependability?

I race as a Cat 1 and have to tell you, I've never lost a race because of the wheels I was using (trust me, I can lose a race all by myself). But, MAN is it annoying when a spoke gets broken on my super-fancy, factory built wheelset while in transport to a race. It happens - and it's next to impossible to fix on the fly. I say this, cause fixing a broken spoke on a Ksyrium is not an easy ordeal...well, that's what I think, anyway.

Instead, what I would suggest would be to get a set of wheels built for you. D-Ace hubs, 36 spoke count, Mavic Open-Pro rims. Honestly, you could probably get away with 32 spoke and never have a problem. Getting them built correctly is important, but it's not rocket science to build up a traditionally laced 32 or 36 spoker (again, in my opinion). And with this set, if a spoke or two is broken - every shop in the universe will have the right spoke for replacement. And, you're wheelset will not suffer unduly for the replacement either (which can be an issue with some wheelsets built under pressure by machinery).
We've got 2 really good wheelbuilders at our shop who've been doing it for decades. Check shops in your town, I bet they do too.

One idea is to contact a local racing club. The folks will be in the know about who has a strong reputation as a wheelbuilder.
Oh, and what about aerodynamics? yikes...

Just my 2 cents and best of luck,

Michael

Check www.coloradocyclist.com or www.excelsports.com ultegra or DA hubs and mavic cxp33s with 36 spokes 3x. Tell them your weight and see if that is ok. $2-300 depending on hubs. The LBS is full of hooey and just wants your money. Want to spend more money,get Chris King hubs.

Originally posted by pedalhome
Hmmm...interesting. Well, it comes down to a couple of things in my opinion. Are you looking for something chi-chi looking like the Ksyriums? Or, do you want total functionality and dependability?

I race as a Cat 1 and have to tell you, I've never lost a race because of the wheels I was using (trust me, I can lose a race all by myself). But, MAN is it annoying when a spoke gets broken on my super-fancy, factory built wheelset while in transport to a race. It happens - and it's next to impossible to fix on the fly. I say this, cause fixing a broken spoke on a Ksyrium is not an easy ordeal...well, that's what I think, anyway.

Instead, what I would suggest would be to get a set of wheels built for you. D-Ace hubs, 36 spoke count, Mavic Open-Pro rims. Honestly, you could probably get away with 32 spoke and never have a problem. Getting them built correctly is important, but it's not rocket science to build up a traditionally laced 32 or 36 spoker (again, in my opinion). And with this set, if a spoke or two is broken - every shop in the universe will have the right spoke for replacement. And, you're wheelset will not suffer unduly for the replacement either (which can be an issue with some wheelsets built under pressure by machinery).
We've got 2 really good wheelbuilders at our shop who've been doing it for decades. Check shops in your town, I bet they do too.

One idea is to contact a local racing club. The folks will be in the know about who has a strong reputation as a wheelbuilder.
Oh, and what about aerodynamics? yikes...

Just my 2 cents and best of luck,

Michael

I think your weight is to much for the Mavic Ksyrium SL's, I have read many complaints about spokes breaking at your size weight.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/Wheelsets/Mavic+Inc.+Ksyrium+SSC+SL/PRD_112041_2490crx.aspx

To be honest all I care for is a dependable set of wheels, I don't care what they really look like. I was witness to a crash this weekend where the rim collapsed and that wasn't pleasant at all, I am almost pretty sure the guy who crashed wasn't too concerned about how the wheel set looked either. I was told that 36 spoke wheel, with 15 gauge spokes should do the trick but it was an opinion and I since I am a newbie to this kind of riding, it couldn't hurt to get a few other opinions who were a bit more knowledgeable in this area.

To be honest all I care for is a dependable set of wheels, I don't care what they really look like. I was witness to a crash this weekend where the rim collapsed and that wasn't pleasant at all, I am almost pretty sure the guy who crashed wasn't too concerned about how the wheel set looked either. I was told that 36 spoke wheel, with 15 gauge spokes should do the trick but it was an opinion and I since I am a newbie to this kind of riding, it couldn't hurt to get a few other opinions who were a bit more knowledgeable in this area.

I think you're on the right track.
My girlfriend and I race our tandem on a set of 32 spoke wheels (Chris King hubset, mavic Open Pro's). Together our weight is 280lbs. Now, I'm not recommending that to anyone out there - and if I ever land in the hospital because of wheel explosions...I'll be the first to point the finger. However, that said - I really believe in the durability of handbuilt wheels. Ours were built by a certain Bullissimo in Reno. I've only raced about a thousand miles on the wheels with the tandem, and watch them like a hawk - but thus far, they're golden.

So, I think you'd be pretty safe on a set of 36 spoke wheels. If you plopped the d-ace hubs in a set of cxp33's...sheesh, them's about as bombproof as certain mountain military bases in Colorado. Personally, I think you could save a little weight and go with the mavic Open Pro's.

Hope that helps,
Michael

If ya find the "bulletproof" wheels, here's a testing facility to confirm:

http://www.mountainbikemilitia.com/stuff/headshok.html

;)

Originally posted by boudreaux
Check www.coloradocyclist.com or www.excelsports.com ultegra or DA hubs and mavic cxp33s with 36 spokes 3x. Tell them your weight and see if that is ok. $2-300 depending on hubs. The LBS is full of hooey and just wants your money. Want to spend more money,get Chris King hubs.

I just got got a replacement cxp33 and i will see how it holds up. I only weight 243 now with anywhere from 5 to 20 pounds on my back.

well I weigh about 250(6ft 2in) + groceries I might carry on the back so perhaps $300-325+ . When I talked to my lbs about it though he said that it shouldnt be a problem with the regular wheels/tire my bike came with, And worse case scenario a spoke might break. Not to worry about catastrophic failure. Is he wrong?

I since I am a newbie to this kind of riding, it couldn't hurt to get a few other opinions who were a bit more knowledgeable in this area.
Call CC or excel,the people that actually build wheels instead of trolling for opinions.

If you weigh 250+ lbs don't worry about saving a few grams on your wheels. IMHO 36-hole dura-ace hubs with cxp33s (like suggested previously) will do you perfectly. They should last a long time, be easy to maintain, and they'll leave you with money to spend on other things.

Has anyone ever dealt with Peter White custom Wheels? I believe he is from New Hamshire, and he gives a lifetime guarantee on spoke breakage and truing. On the wheel sets he sells, unless of course you crash etc. Has anyone ever dealt with him? Thanks for all the input. Keep it coming

Has anyone ever dealt with Peter White custom Wheels? I believe he is from New Hamshire, and he gives a lifetime guarantee on spoke breakage and truing. On the wheel sets he sells, unless of course you crash etc. Has anyone ever dealt with him? Thanks for all the input. Keep it coming
And what is the value of lifetime truing, and spoke breakage when you consider shiping vs the nominal cost at LBS? Minor truing is not outside the realm of a a half competent do it yourselfer either.

Originally posted by boudreaux
And what is the value of lifetime truing, and spoke breakage when you consider shiping vs the nominal cost at LBS? Minor truing, or evne spoke replacement is not outside the realm of a half competent do it yourselfer either.

I've had good service from LBS rebuild of my 32 spoke Ultegra hub with MA-3 rims and 14 ga straight spokes. Twice now on the rear in 10 years isn't bad. Never had a broken spoke, but the wheel either goes out of true, or last time it just cracked.

Amazed the LBS would try to sell a 250 lb guy on high-dollar wheels. I've had the same pitch on SL's....at $850, must be a very high profit item.

Dan

Originally posted by dhk

Amazed the LBS would try to sell a 250 lb guy on high-dollar wheels. I've had the same pitch on SL's....at $850, must be a very high profit item.

Dan
Seems like anytime wheels are mentioned, it's K SLs. They are ok, but for most people spending 1/2 as much gets them all they need, or more.. Maybe it's poseur or chi-chi points that add to the allure, as well as profit and greed?

Personally I can't justify spending $7-800 on a set of wheels, I wouldn't be able to appreciate them or use them as they should be used. I understand that most of you are dedicated and good riders and cycling might be your main or only hobby. Maybe in a year or two, when I am a better rider I would spend that much and not bat an eye, but as for now I can honestly say that I am unknowledgeable and inexperienced and I just want something that is safe and fun to ride. I have no delusions of adequacy when it comes to cycling. It is what it is, and that’s something new to me. I have read some of the threads and have picked up some things and hope to learn more as I go. So keep the opinions coming I do appreciate it.

The K's are more than capable of handling your weight. However I am inclined to agree with everyone else. If you are looking for a good dependable wheel thats easy to fix you don't need to spend much. Any D/A or Ultegra hub with something like an Open Pro rim will do just fine. You don't really even need to go to a 36 spoke version.

There's a local shop in my area that a lot of the other shops send all of their wheel building and some of their wheel repair work to. Supposedly the guy is a wheel building "expert". This guy claims that Mavic rims are VASTLY overrated and that they only have the reputation that they do because they spend a LOT of cash on advertising and to pay a lot of high visibility professional riders to run Mavic rims and wheelsets. He claims that the rest of us read the ads and see all of the pros using them and figure "they must be the best".

He told me this when I brought one of my mountain bike wheels into his shop for truing (I suck at truing wheels). My wheel is a Mavic 517 rim laced to a XTR hub. He showed me a discolored spot on the rim and said it was metal fatigue. He predicted that the rim would fail there before too long. For now I'm still running the wheel.

He recommends Fir (I think that's what the brand was?) rims to his customers. He says that it's a superior rim. He claims it's something to do with the type of aluminum that Mavic uses and how it's heat treated (or something like that).

Don't attack me for saying this! It's the shop owner talking here. Personally I've never had any trouble with Mavics.