Bully male riders

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
To the women riders here, have you experienced being bullied by male riders? This is the complaint that I had read in social media about a female rider who was being crowded by male riders. At first, the male riders were trying to befriend the female rider. And when she turned down the advances of the group, she was bullied up to the point of crowding her as if making her crash. It was a good thing that there was a cop in a street corner that the female rider motioned for help. You can guess that the bullies sped away. If that happens to me, I would probably try to know those guys so I can get back at them in a legal way.

Perhaps that's an issue where you live, but I've never seen that around here (New England) or in other parts of the US where I've ridden in mixed groups. To the contrary, male and female riders tend to get along really well. There are some women-only groups and events and that's fine, especially for skills clinics and beginner rides. However, overall integrating women and men on club rides and other social rides does not seem to be a problem.

While I haven't seen that in the US where I live I have heard of women complaining that when on a bike ride with another guy, a bike riding date, the guy wants to "overly impress" the woman by constantly telling her what she's doing wrong and how to correct it, like the guy is the one with all the answers and the woman needs to learn. I guess that's a form of bullying. I would have love to have a woman to ride with, but my wife isn't capable, and no I'm not going to find one to ride with, I don't need the stress if what starts out innocent ends up not so much!

Perhaps that's an issue where you live, but I've never seen that around here (New England) or in other parts of the US where I've ridden in mixed groups. To the contrary, male and female riders tend to get along really well. There are some women-only groups and events and that's fine, especially for skills clinics and beginner rides. However, overall integrating women and men on club rides and other social rides does not seem to be a problem.

This has been my experience here in the southwest.

This is what I am afraid of. Although not all men is a bully, there are some men who use their superior attitude to women just because they are not able to get what they want. I'm not saying all men is like that, only some men. we cannot refuse the fact that men is stronger than women, but all mem should learn to respect women. In our place, I have not heard any news about women getting bullied on the street while cycling but I saw one scenario on which men are cat calling women who are cycling. I could consider it as bullying because of them cat calling, it is a way to disrespect a woman. Hoping that men and womend should understand to respect each other and avoid discrimination.

It definitely is an issue, not in the way the situation you mentioned turned out, but there's a lot of male riders who think that biking is not for women, and generally just being sexist towards females.