Bum Ache !!

Thanks guys for all your messages. I have experimented with the saddle adjustment using your info and im pleased to say I have now had two rides without pain, what a differance. Many thanks I can now continue with a sport I really enjoy !!

fauxpas said:
But seriously... when I check saddles on ebay, every one pictured with a cutout seems to be a ladies one...

So do a worldwide search for Selle SMP Strike and have a look at that... :)
That's what I'm doing - looking - since I can't afford one at the moment (well, I could afford the cheap Trek version, but I want a Pro one for my race bike.

everogere said:
I have been cycling now for about 3 months after a health scare. I usually ride for about an hour every morning after which my bum aches so much I have started to stop halfway round to allow the circulation back. I have a good quality mountain bike and use a Selles SMP saddle, the one with the grove down the middle and the hole in the bottom ( not sure what the hole is for !! ). I have tried adjusting it to several different positions all with pretty much the same result. This is a middle of the range saddle and I have tried 2 other similarly priced ones. Before I splash out on an expensive saddle does anyone have any advise to why my **** aches so much and will paying more for one improve the ride or is this a pain I have to bear !!

Gday mate, have read all answers to your question and most are on the button. Just to give you the *****, I bought a new road bike 2 weeks ago , spent 1 hour setting it up for me, most of time was to get saddle ok. then i went for a 100k ride with 2 mates. both of them had to stop and give bum a rest. not this smart **** (no pun intended). my saddle cost $A35. It's similar to yours. I always set mine up leval with ground. I use a broom handle to get this right, and also make sure that the handlebar is no more than 1" lower than saddle. I do not tilt saddle up or down ever..this leads to other problems. Then most important measurment is elbow at front of saddle and with arm straight, finger tips should just touch back of handlebars, if not you risk leaning to far or sitting up to high, both will give you a sore bum. Also make sure that your saddle is at the right height for you. It sounds to me that it might be to high and you are rocking your hips a bit, very bad news.
If I can help you more email me at [email protected] Regards Terry