Bumpy forks

les woodland

Sep 28, 2003
Hi

A while back I bought an all-aluminium touring frame. Nicely made, general touring angles, wavy bits in the rear triangle claimed to eliminate some of the rigidity, but bumpy nevertheless in the manner of aluminium frames. Especially from the front forks.

Is there any reason I shouldn't fit a pair of steel front forks instead? I have carbon forks on my nippy bike, which also has aluminium main tubes, and they dampen the vibration well. But I'd rather have steel than carbon forks on a touring bike, for the cheapness and the (I assume) extra strength.

I can't see any technical reason why I shouldn't do it. Can you? Do you reckon it would make the bike less bumpy at the front? Would it be worth the trouble and expense?

Your advice, please. Thanks.

happy days

les

There's no technical reason you couldn't do that. Some stock bikes come with aluminum frames and CroMo forks (for example: http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=130&subcategory=1176&brand=&sku=11723&storetype=estore&estoreid=215&pagename=Front%20Page ; not a recommendation, just a data point).

>> Do you reckon it would make the bike less bumpy at the front?
>> Would it be worth the trouble and expense?

I've always been happy with my steel touring bike, so I don't have any experience at all with aluminum frames. From what I've read, it should make a difference -- but you'd have to judge whether it's significant or not. I'd think most of the ride stiffness would be felt from the frame, not the fork; but as I said this isn't from experience.

As for the expense, forks aren't that expensive, assuming all components would swap over (brakes, handebars, etc.) My opinion on the "trouble" is: makes a good winter project if you're not out touring :)

-- Mark