Bumpy Road

Joseph Tsui

Apr 19, 2010
I got quite a lot of bumpy roads around where I live. I have a giant tcr 1 atm. Would my bike get damaged in the long term, i do around 30 minutes ride on the bumpy road everyday.
Any help is appreciated.

Not likely. What do you mean by "bumpy"? Pave?
Maybe your wheels may need truing once in a while, I think that'd be the extent of it.

Thanks. By bumpy I meant uneven, and some holes which are mostly dodgeable.
When should I have my wheels trued? How do I know if my wheels need truing?

Joseph Tsui said:
Thanks. By bumpy I meant uneven, and some holes which are mostly dodgeable.
When should I have my wheels trued? How do I know if my wheels need truing?

Just line up your eye with the tire and spin it. Watch for any deviation in the rim. Sometimes tires themselves can have imperfections that make it seem like the rim is out of true.Of course a truing stand is the best way to check outside of laser technology.

Joseph Tsui said:
I got quite a lot of bumpy roads around where I live. I have a giant tcr 1 atm. Would my bike get damaged in the long term, i do around 30 minutes ride on the bumpy road everyday.
Depending on what you mean by 'bumpy roads', it sounds as though you were sold (or, chose) the wrong bike for where you ride ...

Eventually, presuming you bike currently has 700-23 tires, you will probably want to get some 700-25 tires when you replace your current set ... at your size (as I understand it), you can run them at a cushy 90PSI ...

700-28 at 90PSI would be better, but most of the current Road frames won't handle that size tire ... well, the frame may, but the fork probably won't.

And, 700-32 OR 27x1.25 might really be the size of choice for the type of roadway that you are currently riding on ... but, your GIANT can not accommodate that tire size.

Thanks alfeng.
I have to ride for around 15 minutes to get to the cycling track, and 15 minutes on the way back.

I've got some bumps and concrete expansion seams on my rides that make my dentures clatter, but I've never experienced any damage to my wheels or tires.

I do raise up out of the saddle when hitting a bump like that is unavoidable to reduce posterior discomfort.

alfeng said:
And, 700-32 OR 27x1.25 might really be the size of choice for the type of roadway that you are currently riding on ... but, your GIANT can not accommodate that tire size.

Right about that. Actually, a 700x25 is tight on a TCR.

But you could have a set of bad-road wheels made--36 spokes, low-flange hubs, low profile alloy rims, laced 4-cross, mounted with fat 700x25 tires.

I've put about 1000 miles this season on some of the worst roads imaginable. To put an image in your head, I usually ride 16-17 mph on the horrid roads. When I get a patch of new asphalt (which lasts 1/4 mile hah) on one of my routes I gain 4-5mph just because of the ease of pedaling and maintaining speed. Only problem with the rough roads for me have been flats. I had 9 flats on my old Michelin tires in the first 300 miles. Put on some Krylion Carbons and have only had one flat since. Wheels get out of true easily, but the wheels I have are pretty durable and have taken a few huge potholes with ease. I think the most damage from a bumpy road is to the bum and arms. :p

Creatre said:
I've put about 1000 miles this season on some of the worst roads imaginable. To put an image in your head, I usually ride 16-17 mph on the horrid roads. When I get a patch of new asphalt (which lasts 1/4 mile hah) on one of my routes I gain 4-5mph just because of the ease of pedaling and maintaining speed. Only problem with the rough roads for me have been flats. I had 9 flats on my old Michelin tires in the first 300 miles. Put on some Krylion Carbons and have only had one flat since. Wheels get out of true easily, but the wheels I have are pretty durable and have taken a few huge potholes with ease. I think the most damage from a bumpy road is to the bum and arms. :p

Owww....Michelins.....I am using a pair of Michelin Lithions on long distance ride.Yeah and both of the tyres took turns to flat almost on "every ride".Actually I ma afraid of them already!Man,let's shake our hands and get off from Michelins!Sorry for leaving the topic:cool: