Bunch riding etiquette

ToddS

Apr 20, 2006
I have recently moved to Melbourne from sydney. And apart from adapting to to the genorous lane widths and onroad cycle paths (such things hardly exist in Syndey) I'm also having to adapt to teh increased number of cyclists...bunchs in particular.

I've been doing my training rides of a morning along beach road - like everyone else. Recently I was overtaken by a bunch of about 8 riders...given the crosswind I was dealing with I thought I'd set pace with the bunch and sit behind them. Being a complete newbie to bunches I'm not sure I didn't **** some people off.

A few times the rear outside rider would move forward a poisiton and then the inside rear rider would glance back at me....Was I supposed to do something? was the correct thing to do to move into the outside position just made vacant? was it rude to sit at the rear of the bunch without doing my part somewhere?

Now I realise maybe I should have asked these questions to the bunch but that might have put someone off also. I figured it's a good question for a forum like this anyway...there's probably other people unsure of bunch etiquette who would be interested in this thread.

ToddS said:
I have recently moved to Melbourne from sydney. And apart from adapting to to the genorous lane widths and onroad cycle paths (such things hardly exist in Syndey) I'm also having to adapt to teh increased number of cyclists...bunchs in particular.

I've been doing my training rides of a morning along beach road - like everyone else. Recently I was overtaken by a bunch of about 8 riders...given the crosswind I was dealing with I thought I'd set pace with the bunch and sit behind them. Being a complete newbie to bunches I'm not sure I didn't **** some people off.

A few times the rear outside rider would move forward a poisiton and then the inside rear rider would glance back at me....Was I supposed to do something? was the correct thing to do to move into the outside position just made vacant? was it rude to sit at the rear of the bunch without doing my part somewhere?

Now I realise maybe I should have asked these questions to the bunch but that might have put someone off also. I figured it's a good question for a forum like this anyway...there's probably other people unsure of bunch etiquette who would be interested in this thread.
It sounds like you had joined a paceline - read up on how these work. Many such groups are "private" and might not want you joining in.

Just ask the particular bunches what they're doing, most would prefer you to take some turns with them but sometimes they would prefer you not to. Just ask...

And for some good Bunch riding practice meet at Black Rock clock tower at 7am every saturday.:D Just watch out for the cop cars...

Jono

If I jump on a smallish 'private' bunch, I usually sit off the back, at least a bike length off, and don't interfere with what they're doing. If I get excited, :p and wanna join in the work, I'll ask.

The large bunches* are just a thrash/mash fest, like a race, so it really doesn't matter if you storm up to the front and try to blow them off the boards, :D unless you're a dangerous rider, in which case they'll let you know all about it :p

*Fast, large group rides: http://www.carnegiecycling.com.au/index.php?c=Training

it might be worth calling one of the 'high-end' shops to make sure the times are up to date. I'm pretty sure the guys at Le Knicks know all about the morning Beach Rd. rides.

There's also a Tuesday night ride which starts somewhere in the city, and cruises off southbound at 6:15pm. They roll down New St., Brighton at ~6:45pm (varies somewhat with wind direction), then along the beach to Parkdale/Mordialloc, at which point (ha!! the 'point' seems to change every week :)) they do a u-turn at ~7:15pm (which, once again, varies with wind direction), then hammer all the way back to Elwood along the beach. The hammer-fest is only about 24km.

Thanks for the comments guys...I have a better idea of how bunchs work now...except I think I still need some practical experience...Might be time I went for a hell ride.

also, if it's a small bunch, and it's not obvious that they all know each other, I just ask if they're all together. If they're not together, and have just started dragging each other, I'll often join in.