Bunions

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mary, Mar 12, 2004.

  1. Mary

    Mary Guest

    Are bicycle riders who use conventional toe clips (more like
    a cage) more prone to have bunions than riders who do not
    use toe clips?

    Thanks

    Tom

    Tags:

  2. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] net.com says...
    > Are bicycle riders who use conventional toe clips (more
    > like a cage) more prone to have bunions than riders who do
    > not use toe clips?

    I've never heard this. FWIW I use toe clips, and I don't
    have bunions, but one data point doesn't mean much. However,
    I think you'd have to have the clips pretty tight before
    there was any significant risk of this.

    --
    Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
    the newsgroups if possible).

  3. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "David Kerber" <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've never heard this. FWIW I use toe clips, and I don't
    > have bunions, but one data point doesn't mean much.
    > However, I think you'd have to have the clips pretty tight
    > before there was any significant risk of this.

    Pure speculation here...aren't bunions caused by a
    deformation of the foot bones, more generally caused by
    shoes that are too short? I thought they were more of a bone
    pointing out the side of the foot because they're being
    squished on the ends. Maybe if the clips are too short in
    the front and the cleat too far back? Corns I can see being
    caused by toe clips because of the friction of the strap.

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  4. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:56:37 -0500, "mary" <[email protected]> from wrote:

    >Are bicycle riders who use conventional toe clips (more
    >like a cage) more prone to have bunions than riders who do
    >not use toe clips?
    >
    >Thanks

    Your question cannot be answered factually, because no one
    has medically studied the issue at all. However, if you mean
    a bunion as a swelling of the first joint of the big toe, I
    can tell you my experience is to have more foot swelling on
    long rides with clipless pedals than with cages. That's
    because the sole of the clipless shoe is extremely firm,
    while the shoes I wear with cages have flexible soles. Firm,
    hard soles transfer power from your legs to the pedals more
    efficiently, but the tradeoff can be foot pain over time
    and/or distance.

    --
    [email protected]
    Balance the consistency principle with the inconsistency principle.