Burley and Disc Frames

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukdavvy

New Member
Mar 17, 2003
Hi

Im a Brit and Im trying to get some sense about trailers.

I've decided to buy a Burley, probably, but unfortunately I have no local dealers to go and talk to - Im in London not the sticks but what the hell.......
The mail order guys I would buy from are very cheap but are not massively knowledgable so Im looking for help.

Ok I want a Burley DLite but the problem is I have a Cannondale CAAD5 frame with disc brakes which I think may be a problem.

Does anybody have experience of mounting a trailer, Burley or anything, on a bike with discs please?

And yes Ive emailed Cannondale and Burley with no luck yet :mad:

Cheers

Ron Hardin

Guest
Try Tanjor (they're small enough to respond to mail) http://www.lodrag.com

My Burley Lite is permanently parked in the garage; the Tanjor is really lower drag, very
noticeably.

Unfortunately costs more. Also takes more care to assemble. But then...

I happen to use the Burley hitch (which fits the Tanjor tongue) having transplanted it from the
Lite, but they could answer about their own hitch.
--
Ron Hardin [email protected]

Mike Boyd

Guest
On 17/03/03 19:41, in article [email protected], "ukdavvy"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Ok I want a Burley DLite but the problem is I have a Cannondale CAAD5 frame with disc brakes which
> I think may be a problem.
>
> Does anybody have experience of mounting a trailer, Burley or anything, on a bike with
> discs please?

A shame that Burley have not been able to respond positively.

I've had a d'Lite for over 10 years. Initially for child carrying, now just used for luggage. Last
year I fitted a Weber hitch to several of our bikes and to the Burley. It's better to look at their
web site than to try and explain. Their are two styles of Weber coupling for bikes. One fixes around
frame members in the vicinity of where the Burley hitch goes, so it may be a no-no, despite its
handy stand. The other coupling fits under the left rear axle nut or QR skewer.

Burley (as a peek at their web-site reveals) say "bikes with disc or drum brakes, we offer the
Alternative Hitch", see:
<http://www.burley.com/products/trailers/default.aspx?p=Alternative+Hitch&i=
7>

Weber hitches at: <http://www.weber-products.de> Click on "Produkte", then "Kupplungen" to see the
bike hitches. The only place on their site (it uses frames, is in German, I only do English) I could
easily find a picture of a trailer with the coupling was
<http://www.weber-products.de/ritschie/ritsch_main.htm>

web-site features Weber couplings too: <http://www.twoplustwo.uk.com/ctrailers/weberhitch.html>

I like the Weber coupling. It's very easy to attach and detach a trailer. However, it's not (in my
experience, which may not be typical) necessarily straightforward to fit the trailer coupling to the
trailer tube.

The Burley alt hitch may be your choice, depending upon your engineering skills.

Regards, Mike (in Milton Keynes, UK)
--
Mike Boyd <[email protected]