Burley Kickstand Adapter

Derek Swift

Guest
Hi all,

For those of you who have a Burley and their kickstand adapter, have you encountered breakage in
the adapter?

I have had my Burley for about a month and the adapter last night just snapped in two after I put
down the kickstand. This happen to anyone else?

Derek

On 25 Mar 2003 15:31:40 -0600, Derek Swift <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> For those of you who have a Burley and their kickstand adapter, have you encountered breakage in
> the adapter?

YES! That adapter is a fairly flimsy peice of Aluminum (?) bent at a right angle. Any bending by the
k-stand will 'work-harden' the bend and that's all it takes.

> I have had my Burley for about a month and the adapter last night just snapped in two after I put
> down the kickstand. This happen to anyone else?

Only one month? You must be putting quite a bit of bending moment on that piece. I've had two, and
it took about 6 months for mine to break. The next one, when I get one, will go to a good metal shop
to have a gussett welded into it for strength, or be made of a better disign.

mike

--
Michael Vore, W3CCV M-ASA [Ka8 (MU)] WHIRL (Burley LIMBO) http://mike.vorefamily.net/ohmywoodness
<-Custom Woodworking http://mike.vorefamily.net/thewoodenradio <-The weblog

Why not call Burley toll-free at 1-866-248-5634 and tell them about this? They're very pro-active
about improving their products and making good on those that develop problems.

Steve McDonald

Bought mine from Hostel shop. I believe it was the Greenfield chain stay and Burley adapter. Wasn't
cheap bu had it for over a year and it is solid. I have a Canto.

Derek Swift <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi all,
>
> For those of you who have a Burley and their kickstand adapter, have you encountered breakage in
> the adapter?
>
> I have had my Burley for about a month and the adapter last night just snapped in two after I put
> down the kickstand. This happen to anyone else?
>
> Derek

> Why not call Burley toll-free at 1-866-248-5634 and tell them about this?

Oh I did. I wasn't trying to smear their name. They were most helpful. They are replacing it for
free. Apparently, I am not the first to have this happen so soon into ownership. I just wanted other
Burley owners be be alerted that this could happen.

Derek

I just mounted the "Vision KSGizmo (KickStand Adaptor Plate)" on my Burley LIMBO - it fits
perfectly. It is a bit pricey ($32) vs the Burley adaptor ($18) but it looks and feels lots
sturdier. It is available from the Hostle Shop
(http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?category=205000) or possibly your local
Vision dealer.

It has a brace to keep it from bending and a small 'lip' the will keep the kickstand aligned in the
proper position and not rotate around the mounting bolt.

mike

"Mike Vore" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I just mounted the "Vision KSGizmo (KickStand Adaptor Plate)" on my Burley LIMBO - it fits
> perfectly. It is a bit pricey ($32) vs the Burley adaptor ($18) but it looks and feels lots
> sturdier. It is available from the Hostle Shop
> (http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?category=205000) or possibly your local
> Vision dealer.
>
> It has a brace to keep it from bending and a small 'lip' the will keep the kickstand aligned in
> the proper position and not rotate around the mounting bolt.
>
> mike

Agreed, I've had mine for 9 months now with no problems