Burley Kickstand Adapter

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Derek Swift, Mar 25, 2003.

  1. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    Hi all,

    For those of you who have a Burley and their kickstand adapter, have you encountered breakage in
    the adapter?

    I have had my Burley for about a month and the adapter last night just snapped in two after I put
    down the kickstand. This happen to anyone else?

    Derek

    Tags:

  2. Mike Vore

    Mike Vore Guest

    On 25 Mar 2003 15:31:40 -0600, Derek Swift <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >

    > For those of you who have a Burley and their kickstand adapter, have you encountered breakage in
    > the adapter?

    YES! That adapter is a fairly flimsy peice of Aluminum (?) bent at a right angle. Any bending by the
    k-stand will 'work-harden' the bend and that's all it takes.

    > I have had my Burley for about a month and the adapter last night just snapped in two after I put
    > down the kickstand. This happen to anyone else?

    Only one month? You must be putting quite a bit of bending moment on that piece. I've had two, and
    it took about 6 months for mine to break. The next one, when I get one, will go to a good metal shop
    to have a gussett welded into it for strength, or be made of a better disign.

    mike

    --
    Michael Vore, W3CCV M-ASA [Ka8 (MU)] WHIRL (Burley LIMBO) http://mike.vorefamily.net/ohmywoodness
    <-Custom Woodworking http://mike.vorefamily.net/thewoodenradio <-The weblog

  3. Why not call Burley toll-free at 1-866-248-5634 and tell them about this? They're very pro-active
    about improving their products and making good on those that develop problems.

    Steve McDonald

  4. Dom

    Dom Guest

    Bought mine from Hostel shop. I believe it was the Greenfield chain stay and Burley adapter. Wasn't
    cheap bu had it for over a year and it is solid. I have a Canto.

    Derek Swift <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > For those of you who have a Burley and their kickstand adapter, have you encountered breakage in
    > the adapter?
    >
    > I have had my Burley for about a month and the adapter last night just snapped in two after I put
    > down the kickstand. This happen to anyone else?
    >
    > Derek

  5. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    > Why not call Burley toll-free at 1-866-248-5634 and tell them about this?

    Oh I did. I wasn't trying to smear their name. They were most helpful. They are replacing it for
    free. Apparently, I am not the first to have this happen so soon into ownership. I just wanted other
    Burley owners be be alerted that this could happen.

    Derek

  6. Mike Vore

    Mike Vore Guest

    I just mounted the "Vision KSGizmo (KickStand Adaptor Plate)" on my Burley LIMBO - it fits
    perfectly. It is a bit pricey ($32) vs the Burley adaptor ($18) but it looks and feels lots
    sturdier. It is available from the Hostle Shop
    (http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?category=205000) or possibly your local
    Vision dealer.

    It has a brace to keep it from bending and a small 'lip' the will keep the kickstand aligned in the
    proper position and not rotate around the mounting bolt.

    mike

    On 26 Mar 2003 01:57:29 -0800, Dom <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Bought mine from Hostel shop. I believe it was the Greenfield chain stay and Burley adapter.
    > Wasn't cheap bu had it for over a year and it is solid. I have a Canto.

    > Derek Swift <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Hi all,
    >>

    >> For those of you who have a Burley and their kickstand adapter, have you encountered breakage in
    >> the adapter? I have had my Burley for about a month and the adapter last night just snapped in
    >> two after I put down the kickstand. This happen to anyone else? Derek

    --
    Michael Vore, W3CCV M-ASA [Ka8 (MU)] WHIRL (Burley LIMBO) http://mike.vorefamily.net/ohmywoodness
    <-Custom Woodworking http://mike.vorefamily.net/thewoodenradio <-The weblog

  7. M..Leuck

    M..Leuck Guest

    "Mike Vore" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I just mounted the "Vision KSGizmo (KickStand Adaptor Plate)" on my Burley LIMBO - it fits
    > perfectly. It is a bit pricey ($32) vs the Burley adaptor ($18) but it looks and feels lots
    > sturdier. It is available from the Hostle Shop
    > (http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?category=205000) or possibly your local
    > Vision dealer.
    >
    > It has a brace to keep it from bending and a small 'lip' the will keep the kickstand aligned in
    > the proper position and not rotate around the mounting bolt.
    >
    > mike

    Agreed, I've had mine for 9 months now with no problems