Burley rain gear the best?

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> I need a rain jacket and pants for commuting to work
>
> Is Burley the only one worth looking at?

Absolutely not. I have owned a number of Burleys over the years
and think they are fine jackets, but there is more than one fish
in the sea. Go try on a few and see what fits the best and flaps
the least and has good ventilation. I think the material
(Goretex v. non-Goretex) is less imporatant than the venting and
tailoring. -- Jay Beattie.

"Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Absolutely not. I have owned a number of Burleys over the years
>and think they are fine jackets, but there is more than one fish
>in the sea

what other brands you recommend looking at?

<[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...
> "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Absolutely not. I have owned a number of Burleys over the years
>>and think they are fine jackets, but there is more than one fish
>>in the sea

> what other brands you recommend looking at?

66 North. eVENT fabric.

No! Stearns the Chemical one. Had mine going on 8 years
now. Even did heavy work in it. Had other suits lucky if they get you
thu a year. And I ride to work all year round.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >Absolutely not. I have owned a number of Burleys over the

years
> >and think they are fine jackets, but there is more than one

fish
> >in the sea

> what other brands you recommend looking at?

Sugoi, Cannondale, Gore and even some of the mail-order house
brands -- and of course, Burley. I do not look for brands,
though. I look for value and construction: no lining, felled
seams, under arm zips, high collar, wrist closures, storm fly on
zipper plus the usual fit issues. It used to be that Burley was
the only game in town for bicycle specific rain jackets -- and
you still cannot go wrong buying one (I have been using them for
20 years) -- but there are now a lot of jackets on the market
that may be a better bargain. I say "may" since I have not done
competitive shopping for a jacket recently, and in the end, the
Burley may still be the one to buy based on value, fit, etc. I
would look around first, though. -- Jay Beattie.

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 12:49:37 -0600, me wrote:

> what other brands you recommend looking at?

A couple of my friends really like their Showers Pass jackets. After
comparing a bunch of different ones, the Showers Pass is probably what I'd
buy. It fits great, and compresses to the size of a water bottle.

I have a Patagonia one (Lightning?) that does the job really well, except
for two things. One, the hood is designed to go over a helmet. After
living with it awhile, I think the Showers Pass under-the-helmet idea is
better. Two, the rear pocket is mesh, and while this is great for venting,
everything inside gets sprayed from beneath, and dirty. Other than that,
it runs a close second to the Showers Pass, mostly because it's nearly as
compressible, and fits in my under-seat bag.

I agree that fit and venting is most important. Burley jackets are great,
but a bit baggy. They're also not very compressible.

For sport riding, being dry isn't as important as being warm. In summer,
a standard windbreaker is good enough for this, especially when combined
with arm/leg warmers.

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a Patagonia one (Lightning?) that does the job really well, except
>for two things. One, the hood is designed to go over a helmet. After
>living with it awhile, I think the Showers Pass under-the-helmet idea is
>better. Two, the rear pocket is mesh, and while this is great for venting,
>everything inside gets sprayed from beneath, and dirty. Other than that,
>it runs a close second to the Showers Pass, mostly because it's nearly as
>compressible, and fits in my under-seat bag.
>
>I agree that fit and venting is most important. Burley jackets are great,
>but a bit baggy. They're also not very compressible.
>
>For sport riding, being dry isn't as important as being warm. In summer,
>a standard windbreaker is good enough for this, especially when combined
>with arm/leg warmers.

Thanks for advice Matt!

I agree on hood UNDER the helmet as well.

I will look up the shower pass gear