Burley raingear no more

SEAcarlessTTLE

Nov 29, 2005
I just found out that Burley, a former cooperative based in Oregon, is no longer producing raingear as of a recent buyout and a severe downsizing. (Under new ownership, they are focusing on their trailers...so no more tandems, either.)

I am a huge fan of their raincoats, which are very well designed for cycling, so I'm sad to hear the news. Apparently, they just couldn't survive fiscally as a coop. I assume most American consumers just aren't willing to pay more for a product that's made by decently paid and treated workers here in the States.

Anyway, as a year-round, carless cyclist in the drippy northwest, I feel qualified to recommend their Rock Point rain jacket, while you can still find them. I'm glad they're made so sturdy...I won't have to shop around for a replacement for another couple years, at least.

When you do need to replace your raincoat, I've always heard great things about Showers Pass raingear. They are also local (Seattle area I believe) and run by a couple. Personally I can't wear a real raincoat. I get waaaay to hot. I perfer a soft shell, which suprisingly keeps me very dry and happy.