Burley Riders (LWB/CLWB)- Need Advice

Freshaire

Jul 25, 2006
My riding partner just ordered a Tour Easy and to be honest, the Tour Easy doesn't seem to fit my style.

But I like the Burley lines. I like the T-bar, and I like it in black. I like a more open cockpit and more nimble handling. I am short, so most SWB's are out of my stature to handle, though I have ridden a handful.

I am new to recumbent riding, but have probably logged hours of riding various recumbents to test them. I have ridden the BikeE CT, Bacchetta Cafe, Lightning P-38, Sun EZ-1 SZ and AX, Rans V-Rex, Vision 40, Bigha (and oh, what a ha ha that was), Koosah, Adirondack, Rans Stratus LE, Stratus, Stratus XP and the Tour Easy Expedition (in one size too large for me, but at least I have a feel for it). Of course price is a factor, but I sure don't want to make an expensive decision just because of my visual taste and my gut feel for the bike!

I understood that there was a Burley riders group online, but can't locate it using he url the LBS gave me and the urls I've found online.

As soon as my LBS (which is a relative term, as it is 45 mins or so away) gets them in, I will have a Canto and Jett Creek (and the Adirondack, which they already have), to ride back to back. They hope that they will be in by a week from Friday, maybe sooner.

Bottom line is, I need to feel relatively comfortable that if I buy a Canto (and am willing and probably will update some components right away), it will keep up well with the Tour Easy that my partner has ordered. I am in pretty good physical condition, better than my partner, but certainly not the type to race, or do seriously long rides (like anything over 20 miles), yet. I want to, but need to go recumbent due to neck issues. It's been heck trying to find good bike fits (at 4'10', I'm challenged). I am spunky and need to have fun with my ride - but have lost some of the bravado of my youth, so I don't need high speed and risk all the time. I do need some excitement though.... Can the Canto keep up and climb hills with the Tour Easy? I really need some owners to speak up!

I'd be grateful for your answers, and of course a referral to any other owners or owners groups (I've registered onto 3 forums now and still can't find much on Burleys) that you can send my way....

Freshaire said:
... it will keep up well with the Tour Easy that my partner has ordered.
I suggest you lose the comparative concerns about your friend's choice of 'bents. The "fastest" bike for you, will be the one that fits best and feels "right". After you land the best fitting 'bent, concentrate on reducing the bike's weight.

Freshair said:
... It's been heck trying to find good bike fits (at 4'10', I'm challenged).
With your height, a LWB (long wheelbase base) platform will assure a better fit (ask me how I know!). The secound issue is seat height; Having the ability to plant BOTH feet flat on the ground, (while comfortably seated) is equally important, so look for a seat height below 20". The RANS Stratus comes to mind, as does the RANS V2 (with a 20" front wheel only, not the XP or Formula 26, which posses squirrely, low speed attributes).

"With your height, a LWB (long wheelbase base) platform will assure a better fit (ask me how I know!)."

Okay, how do you know?! :D

Yes, I really enjoyed the Stratus that I test rode, however, the store that I intend to purchase at would have to order one from Rans, which is now a 4-6 week wait. If it were my "dream bike", I might wait, but there are other, more available, contenders that would also satisfy the "fit" issue.

Finding a seat in a LWB under 20" is almost not doable, unless I go to a 20" wheel in the back - not an option that I want to take as long as there are other options to get me a "flat footed" stance. The Tour Easy XS does that, and the Stratus is good, if not entirely flat. Haven't been able to spend enough time with Burley's to determine if they will really work or not.
Tori

Freshaire said:
Okay, how do you know?! :D
Well... I not only ride them (with short legs), I also design and build'em.

With short legs, the center of mass (CoM) is closer to optimum when the cranks are aft of the front axle. Excessive tiller is avoided and the seat height is usually lower than SWB's. When the cranks are forward of the front axle (ala SWB), the CoM ends up being too far forward (assuming you could reach the pedals). This makes the bike overly sensitive and "twitchy" at nearly any speed. Proper tiller length is often difficult to achieve (because the shorter rider is too close the the steering axis), and seat heights below 23" are rare.

Freshaire said:
Finding a seat in a LWB under 20" is almost not doable, unless I go to a 20" wheel in the back - not an option that I want to take as long as there are other options to get me a "flat footed" stance. The Tour Easy XS does that, and the Stratus is good, if not entirely flat. Haven't been able to spend enough time with Burley's to determine if they will really work or not.
Tori
Believing the 20" rear wheel is always slower, is foolish thinking. Just ask any owner of a Rotator Pursuit: http://rotatorrecumbent.com/main_content.html

Also be aware; Short legs, combined with such a low crank (BB) on the XS Tour Easys, causes thigh rubbing at the leading edge of the seat. The Stratus doesn't exibit this issue, because the cranks are slightly higher and the seat loses altitude when adjusted forward. Not so with the TE.

puttputt said:
Well... I not only ride them (with short legs), I also design and build'em.

That's a sweet looking ride!!! (no 20" wheel in the back, either...):)

Thanks for your advice, I DO appreciate it. Just trying to make an intelligent decision.
tori

I agree with everything said above...

I don't think of the Tour Easy as an elite high speed machine (not to say it's slow but mid pack seems reasonable right?). I would think most bents would be able to keep up as long as they aren't too heavy.

My daughter is about your height and she just loves riding our Tailwind. It's low enough to the ground and very comfortable. We've all become a fan of the RANS seat.

I believe it, I have really enjoyed test riding the Stratus. Problem is, the shop that I want to deal with doesn't have one, and Rans needs 4-6 WEEKS to ship one! Sheesh!

So, I'm hoping the Burleys come in today, so that I can test ride tomorrow. Then, it's decision time, I guess, or just wait for next season (NOT).

Thanks for the encouragement!
tori

I have had a Burley Canto for about three or four years. I love mine. Granted, I keep it in SWB mode 95% of the time. But it seems to be a pretty good bike.

But I ould discount the Tour Easy. There is a reason it has survived as long as it has in the 'bent market when other makers have come and gone.

I preferred to have my feet up a bit more personally.

Ah Derek! I've spent some time trying to send emails your way to ask about the Canto! Tell me, what do you like about it? Now that I know that you ride it usually in SWB config. I am not certain how to relate it all exactly, as I have much less time on SWBs than LWBs. Any Burley rider groups out there? I sure could find any active ones....