Burley Taiko

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Eli cyclist, Feb 15, 2004.

  1. Eli cyclist

    Eli cyclist New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2004
    I'm planning to buy a Burley Taiko. The 2003 model has Primo tires and the 2004 model has Velocity wheels with disk brakes. I'm trying to decide whether buying the 2003 model that the bike store near my house has in stock and is selling at a discount or whether better to go with the 2004 model with the velocity wheels and disk brakes.
    I will appreciate guidance and/or an opinion for making a decision.
    Thanks,
    Eli

    Tags:

  2. Mike Vore

    Mike Vore Guest

    I'd go with the Disk Brakes - are they mechanical or hydraulic?. If you want Primo tires - that's
    easy to do.

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 03:35:39 GMT, Eli cyclist <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm planning to buy a Burley Taiko. The 2003 model has Primo tires and the 2004 model has Velocity
    > wheels with disk brakes. I'm trying to decide whether buying the 2003 model that the bike store
    > near my house has in stock and is selling at a discount or whether better to go with the 2004
    > model with the velocity wheels and disk brakes. I will appreciate guidance and/or an opinion for
    > making a decision. Thanks, Eli

    Michael Vore, W3CCV M-ASA [Ka8]; WHIRL, ABC; CAW, CW, AAW http://mike.vorefamily.net/ohmywoodness
    <- NEW * * Turned Wood items http://mike.vorefamily.net/thewoodenradio <-The weblog

  3. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    > I'm planning to buy a Burley Taiko. The 2003 model has Primo tires and the 2004 model has Velocity
    > wheels with disk brakes. I'm trying to decide whether buying the 2003 model that the bike store
    > near my house has in stock and is selling at a discount or whether better to go with the 2004
    > model with the velocity wheels and disk brakes. I will appreciate guidance and/or an opinion for
    > making a decision. Thanks, Eli

    By all means, buy the new model. Those wheels are worth the money in themselves.

    Derek

  4. Howard

    Howard Guest

    Eli cyclist <[email protected]> wrote in news:fUWXb.42348
    [email protected]:

    > I'm planning to buy a Burley Taiko. The 2003 model has Primo tires and the 2004 model has Velocity
    > wheels with disk brakes. I'm trying to decide whether buying the 2003 model that the bike store
    > near my house has in stock and is selling at a discount or whether better to go with the 2004
    > model with the velocity wheels and disk brakes. I will appreciate guidance and/or an opinion for
    > making a decision. Thanks, Eli

    How much of your riding is touring, commuting or solo day trips vs speedy club rides or other fast
    (19+ mph) rides? If the answer leans toward the former, go with the older bike. My opinion, and
    maybe a minority one, is that if you're not already flolloping along at 18-19mph solo, the
    difference between the wheels isn't going to be as valuable as the extra spokes. If, OTOH, you
    already motor along happily at those velocities (pun intended), go for the newer wheels; you are
    well prepared to appreciate them.

    ref http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html et.al.

    (bitshift, etc)

  5. Eli cyclist

    Eli cyclist New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2004
    I appreciate your replys. It seems that making a choice is more complicated than it appears. On the one hand one desires to have the best available toys, on the other hand the question stands regarding what is the real difference between one option and the other.
    Mike Derek and Doug are of the opinion that going with the disk brakes is a good idea. On the other hand Howard writes that it all depends on the type of rider one is. I'm planning mainly to do some touring and may be some Centuries and possibly also conmmuting and I'm not a really fast rider. I already have in my garage more bicycles than my wife wants to see, but this one she will maybe use at times with a trainer at home.
    Thank you again for your comments and I'll appreciate any additional advice you may have.
    Eli

  6. Mark Leuck

    Mark Leuck Guest

    "Eli cyclist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I appreciate your replys. It seems that making a choice is more complicated than it appears. On
    > the one hand one desires to have the best available toys, on the other hand the question stands
    > regarding what is the real difference between one option and the other. Mike Derek and Doug are of
    > the opinion that going with the disk brakes is a good idea. On the other hand Howard writes that
    > it all depends on the type of rider one is. I'm planning mainly to do some touring and may be some
    > Centuries and possibly also conmmuting and I'm not a really fast rider. I already have in my
    > garage more bicycles than my wife wants to see, but this one she will maybe use at times with a
    > trainer at home. Thank you again for your comments and I'll appreciate any additional advice you
    > may have. Eli

    Although I don't have a Burley I do have an Optima with disc brakes and it made an amazing
    difference compared to my Vision with standard brakes, I wouldn't be without the discs period!

  7. Howard

    Howard Guest

    "Mark Leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:p[email protected]_s53:

    > Although I don't have a Burley I do have an Optima with disc brakes and it made an amazing
    > difference compared to my Vision with standard brakes, I wouldn't be without the discs period!

    Disks are nice. It's that 18 or 22 spoke count that seems less than optimal for commuting, casual
    riding etc. If conditions (read $) allow, maybe the '04 with an extra set of "everyday" wheels built
    on a more traditional set of hubs and lacing pattern?

    (bitshift etc)

  8. Rskeny

    Rskeny Guest

    --------------030306070606090305090701

    I have hepcat it does just fine with out dic brake ( in a panic stop i do get lock up) and my
    average to speed is about 19 mph , good luck

    Howard wrote:

    >"Mark Luck" <[email protected]> wrote in news:p[email protected]_s53:
    >

    >>Although I don't have a Burley I do have an Optima with disc brakes and it made an amazing
    >>difference compared to my Vision with standard brakes, I wouldn't be without the discs period!
    >>

    >Disks are nice. It's that 18 or 22 spoke count that seems less than optimal for commuting, casual
    >riding etc. If conditions (read $) allow, maybe the '04 with an extra set of "everyday" wheels
    >built on a more traditional set of hubs and lacing pattern?
    >

    >(bitshift etc)

    --------------030306070606090305090701 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-
    Encoding: 7bit

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta http-equiv="Content-
    bgcolor="#ffffff"> I have hepcat it does just fine with out dic brake ( in a panic stop i do
    Luck" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
    href="mailto:[email protected]"><[email protected]></a> wrote in <a class="moz-txt-link-
    freetext" href="news:p[email protected]_s53:">news:p[email protected]_s53:</a>

    with disc brakes and it made an amazing difference compared to my Vision with standard brakes, I
    wouldn't be without the discs period!

    seems less than optimal for commuting, casual riding etc. If conditions (read $) allow, maybe
    the '04 with an extra set of "everyday" wheels built on a more traditional set of hubs and
    lacing pattern?

    --------------030306070606090305090701--

  9. rollerbill

    rollerbill New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2003
    I am interested in a medium wheelbase recumbent. May I ask what sold you on the Taiko? Are they not a bit heavy?

  10. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    > I am interested in a medium wheelbase recumbent. May I ask what sold you on the Taiko? Are they
    > not a bit heavy?

    I can tell you what sold me on my Canto: the ability to change. I like the feel of both wheelbases.
    So since I did not have the money to buy two, I bought one that would change.

    Last year, the Taiko and Canto were only different in drivetrain and shifters. So I bought a Canto
    and modified the gearing and came in $300 under the price of a Taiko. This year however things are
    different. If buying, I might go with the Taiko.

    Derek

  11. Eli cyclist

    Eli cyclist New Member

    Joined: