Burley Tires

bentcruiser

New Member
Apr 18, 2003
Anyone have good luck with some tires on their Burleys other than the stock Primos?

I tried a Schwalbe but the tire and the rim were not a good mix. Should I try Kenda Kwests?

I have noticed that my Primos are getting some abrasions on the side showing some thread work. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

Derek

> Anyone have good luck with some tires on their Burleys other than the stock Primos?
>
> I tried a Schwalbe but the tire and the rim were not a good mix. Should I try Kenda Kwests?
>
> I have noticed that my Primos are getting some abrasions on the side showing some thread work.
> Does anyone have any good suggestions?

What are you asking? Burley does not make rims or tires. What are your tires and rims? Please go
read the Sheldon Brown article on tires and sizing (especially the part about which tire fits which
rim) http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html

After you have mastered that lesson, report back here with your rim bead seat diameter and inner
width and the ISO-ETRTO size of your existing tires (Primo and Schwalbe). You can then ask for
recommendations for which tire/brand will work for the type of riding performance that you want out
of your Burley.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Originally posted by Cletus Lee
What are you asking? Burley does not make rims or tires. What are your tires and rims?

What am I asking?

Well, I was asking what other Burley owners have used.

Yes, I know Burley does not make tires and rims.

I was looking for an answer like one e-mailed me privately saying, "On my Hepcat I use Kwests but have thought about using Stelvios for..."

Usenet is not rocket science.

Derek

bentcruiser <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Cletus Lee wrote:
> > What are you asking? Burley does not make rims or tires. What are your tires and rims?

Someone woke up on da wrong side of da bed.

> Cletus Lee wrote:
> > What are you asking? Burley does not make rims or tires. What are your tires and rims?
>

> What am I asking?
>
> Well, I was asking what other Burley owners have used.

You also asked, "Does anyone have any good suggestions?"

I have not had good luck with Primos or the one set of Kenda Kwest. Stelvios are subject to
abrasions on the sidewalls like the Primos. If you intend to only bike on weekends on nice paved
roadsd and stay away from curbs, Stelvios are a nice high-speed tire. I have them on my 'go fast'
bike. They do not hold up well on my daily commuter. Unless the Schwalbe fell outside the
compatability guides posted by Sheldon, I do not understand why the "tire and the rim were not a
good mix".

> Yes, I know Burley does not make tires and rims.

Knowing which tire will fit which rim will settle a lot of tire issues. Knowing what the intended
purpose for the tire will help others make "good suggestions" on which tire might work best for you.

> I was looking for an answer like one e-mailed me privately saying, "On my Hepcat I use Kwests but
> have thought about using Stelvios for..."
>
> Usenet is not rocket science.

But it is a place to learn. Everything I shared with you in my first post, I learned from
someone else on the USENET. The answer posted privately did not help the lurker too timid to
even ask the question.

Lemmings sometimes do not make good decisions. An educated lemming won't follow the crowd over
the cliff.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

They are Weinmann Zac 19 rims in ISO 559 and 406 sizing.

What else do you need?

Derek

Originally posted by Cletus Lee
What are you asking? Burley does not make rims or tires. What are your tires and rims? Please go
read the Sheldon Brown article on tires and sizing (especially the part about which tire fits which
rim) http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html

After you have mastered that lesson, report back here with your rim bead seat diameter and inner
width and the ISO-ETRTO size of your existing tires (Primo and Schwalbe). You can then ask for
recommendations for which tire/brand will work for the type of riding performance that you want out
of your Burley.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

bentcruiser <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Anyone have good luck with some tires on their Burleys other than the stock Primos?
>
> I tried a Schwalbe but the tire and the rim were not a good mix. Should I try Kenda Kwests?
>
> I have noticed that my Primos are getting some abrasions on the side showing some thread work.
> Does anyone have any good suggestions?
>
> Derek

I have used Avocet Fasgrips and Primos with the Kevlar belts. The former ride is smoother but the
latter is more bullet proof. I think you can also order the Fasgrips with Kevlar as well.

Gene

> Cletus Lee wrote:
> > What are you asking? Burley does not make rims or tires. What are your tires and rims? Please
> > go read the Sheldon Brown article on tires and sizing (especially the part about which tire
> > fits which rim) http://w-
> > ww.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.htmlhttp://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_- sizing.html After you
> > have mastered that lesson, report back here with your rim bead seat diameter and inner width
> > and the ISO-ETRTO size of your existing tires (Primo and Schwalbe). You can then ask for
> > recommendations for which tire/brand will work for the type of riding performance that you
> > want out of your Burley. Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager
> > http://www.clee.org/http://www.clee.org
> > - Bellaire, TX USA -
>
> They are Weinmann Zac 19 rims in ISO 559 and 406 sizing.
>
> What else do you need?

If the inner width of the Weinmann Zac 19 is 19 mm you might have problems with the Schwalbe Stelvio
25-559. The Schwalbe Stelvio 28-406 should not be a problem with these rims. But then having read
about compatability on Sheldon's page you already know that. If you are concerned about sidewall
wear and tear on Primos and Stelvios, almost any other Schwalbe recumbent tire in the compatible
width should be OK. With wide rims, other fast tires like Conti GPs may also be out of the picture.
Another tire that I have had good results with and also has proven to be good in the performance
category is the Vredestein S-Licks. Available in 33-406 and 33-559 sizes, these might be your best
choice for a fast tire on a wide rim. Are you looking for a fast tire? Are you looking for a durable
tire? For durability, I would recommend the Conti TT 2000. These are 'bullet proof' but are a bit of
a dog when trying to chase down roadies.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Thanks for the info Cletus. I failed to mention my use for my bike which you aptly pointed out. My use is club rides, one state tour and a handful of self-contained riding. I have no where near the touring miles as some of your trips I have read about. We have a small group within our Tulsa Bicycle Club here in Tulsa, OK that strikes out once a month to tour. It is mostly just a weekend. Once a year, we do a four day trip, though. But from this standpoint, I would like to know your thoughts as far as my uses and the appropriate tire.

Incidentally, you are welcome to join us if you want to bolt up from Houston.

Derek

Originally posted by Cletus Lee
If the inner width of the Weinmann Zac 19 is 19 mm you might have problems with the Schwalbe Stelvio
25-559. The Schwalbe Stelvio 28-406 should not be a problem with these rims. But then having read
about compatability on Sheldon's page you already know that. If you are concerned about sidewall
wear and tear on Primos and Stelvios, almost any other Schwalbe recumbent tire in the compatible
width should be OK. With wide rims, other fast tires like Conti GPs may also be out of the picture.
Another tire that I have had good results with and also has proven to be good in the performance
category is the Vredestein S-Licks. Available in 33-406 and 33-559 sizes, these might be your best
choice for a fast tire on a wide rim. Are you looking for a fast tire? Are you looking for a durable
tire? For durability, I would recommend the Conti TT 2000. These are 'bullet proof' but are a bit of
a dog when trying to chase down roadies.

> Cletus Lee wrote:
> > ... Another tire that I have had good results with and also has proven to be good in the
> > performance category is the Vredestein S-Licks. Available in 33-406 and 33-559 sizes, these
> > might be your best choice for a fast tire on a wide rim. Are you looking for a fast tire? Are
> > you looking for a durable tire? For durability, I would recommend the Conti TT 2000. These are
> > 'bullet proof' but are a bit of a dog when trying to chase down roadies.
>
> Thanks for the info Cletus. I failed to mention my use for my bike which you aptly pointed out. My
> use is club rides, one state tour and a handful of self-contained riding...

In that case I'd heartily recommend the Vredestein S-Licks

BTW In the unlikely event that I find myself "Livin' on Tulsa Time", I'll be sure to look your and
your group up. You never know, you just might see me on an Oklahoma Freewheel some day.

- Bellaire, TX USA -