Burley VS. Bianchi Bike Question

craigstanton

Oct 31, 2003
Hi,

Question for the steel crowd. My current commute bike is a Bianchi Castro Valley. I ride 32 miles each way on a somewhat hilly course. The bike is loaded with rear panniers, but is otherwise stock. I have an opportunity to trade up for a 2004 Burley Runabout 7 that is still "new." It's been sitting on a shop floor for a few years and I could get it for a reasonable deal in a trade. Am I crazy to consider this trade? I like the Bianchi. This is the same steel frame that was used on the Volpe model, and the bike works reasonably well for my commute. I am not crazy about the grearing on the Bianchi, as this is a stock 2006 model with a single on the front and a 9-speed cog on the rear. The Runabout would be a better all around bike for possible trail riding, beyond the commute. Beyond this, though, would I be crazy to consider this trade? Thoughts. Opinions. Please. Thank you.

Do you need a lower-low or a higher-high gear?

How much will this "reasonable deal" cost you out-of-pocket?

If it is less than $100, then it's probably a great deal ...

If it is more than $100, then ONE reason to change is because you don't like the way the Bianchi handles.

For less than $100, you can certainly put an 11-32 or 11-34 cassette AND an LX/XT rear derailleur on your Bianchi ... and/or change the chainring to achieve the higher-high.

A 42t chainring (what you probably have, currently, on your Castro Valley) & a 34t large cog is about equivalent to a 39t chainring & a 32t large cog OR a 34t chainring & a 27t large cog.

alfeng said:
Do you need a lower-low or a higher-high gear?

How much will this "reasonable deal" cost you out-of-pocket?

If it is less than $100, then it's probably a great deal ...

If it is more than $100, then ONE reason to change is because you don't like the way the Bianchi handles.

For less than $100, you can certainly put an 11-32 or 11-34 cassette AND an LX/XT rear derailleur on your Bianchi ... and/or change the chainring to achieve the higher-high.

A 42t chainring (what you probably have, currently, on your Castro Valley) & a 34t large cog is about equivalent to a 39t chainring & a 32t large cog OR a 34t chainring & a 27t large cog.

Hi Alfeng,

Turns out he actually wants $400. I am not so sure it's a very good deal at this price point, and instead of making this trade I've decided just to treat myself to a Brooks Team Pro saddle for the Bianchi and ride it another couple years. I appreciate the sturdy feel of the ride, and I can live with the current gearing. There are one or two very steep longer hills where I could use a bigger cog in the back. But, then again it's a better workout without it, and I can certainly get up the hills ok without swapping. No knee injuries or anything after many thousands of miles. I am just so used to riding a double and having a larger range of speeds to choose from.

Thanks for the feedback. I am thinking the trade is hard to justify, considering that the bikes are more alike than they are different anyway. Gearing issues can be addressed on the side.

Craig