Burn that fat....

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 02:30:54 GMT, Shawn Curry <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi. My name is Shawn and I've been chocolate free for one week. Went OTB last Sun. and tweaked my
>shoulder a bit. I wonder if I was 40 lbs lighter if I wouldn't have damaged it at all. Welcome to
>mountain biking!

How do you do it? I've been able to give up all the starchy foods easily. No more 'candy' (other
than chocolate). I even gave up soda (which given that I work in IT is a minor miracle all it's
own). But, I just can't kick the chocolate.

>Cheers, Shawn

Gwen

--
Gwen Morse -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= "Love is a snowmobile racing
across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels

> Sadly, I *don't* (have good balance, at least for riding). I just sort of putter along, and as
> soon as I notice *anyone* coming up behind, I'm off the trail to let them pass.
>
> I'm not really confident in what I'm doing. I'm hoping the more I go out and ride, the more that
> will improve.
>
> In the meantime, I brake down all the steep hills that go 'down', walk all the steep hills that go
> 'up', and practice changing gears on the flat parts.
>
> Gwen

you have to start somewhere... give yourself credit for just getting out there and doing it.

Some folks learn by doing; I myself like to disscet and analyze a skill and then go try and do it.
More miles = more confidence. Do you have any one to ride with? Tagging along with folks better than
you is a great way to learn and grow as a rider.

Penny

In <[email protected]> Gwen Morse wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 02:30:54 GMT, Shawn Curry <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Hi. My name is Shawn and I've been chocolate free for one week. Went OTB last Sun. and tweaked my
>>shoulder a bit. I wonder if I was 40 lbs lighter if I wouldn't have damaged it at all. Welcome to
>>mountain biking!
>
> How do you do it? I've been able to give up all the starchy foods easily. No more 'candy' (other
> than chocolate). I even gave up soda (which given that I work in IT is a minor miracle all it's
> own). But, I just can't kick the chocolate.

Riding. It does more for my head than chocolate. I eat chocolate to "feel good" (what can I say, I'm
a light weight when it comes to mood altering substances) or when bored. Getting back into riding
has helped with both of these. The problem I had for several months was breaking the habit of eating
chocolate, done mostly by keeping it out of the house-out of reach for the instant fix. The kids and
wife don't like this, but it's worked. Actually turned down a cookie the other day- little victories
(god, that sounds so AA)!

Gwen Morse wrote:
>>On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 00:51:35 GMT, "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>I've been playing with my eating habits lately, basically bumped up the fat & protein and lowered
>>>the carbs. My body fat percentage is slowly dropping, which is how I wanted to do it, slowly. In
>>>addition, working-out (riding or in the gym) to increase muscle, which in turn will consume more
>>>calories.
>>

> I'm not sure this is the best thread to intrroduce myself, but, hi-all. My name is Gwen Morse, and
> I've been mountain biking for...uhhh...a week now :). I live on Long Island (NY) in Suffolk
> County, and I've been riding at Cathedral Pines.
>
> I've been low-carbing for a year, and lost 40 pounds on Atkins (which I'm successfully keeping
> off). I've become much more fitness-oriented since I started Atkins. I hike twice a week, take a
> Body Toning class twice a week, and I'm trying to set a pattern of mountain biking 3x a week
> (weather allowing).

Wow, that's great. I try to ride three times a week for at least an hour and a half, either
on my mountain bike, or on my recumbent. We have a nice loop of multi-use paved trails and
we're close to a rails-to-trails gravel trail that spans the state, so even when it's too
muddy to ride off road, unless it's flat out pouring (in which case, I say screw it, and
settle in with a book), I have no excuse for not getting out anyway.

> My great weakness is chocolate, and I've been battling with finding a balance between allowing
> myself an occasional 'treat' and ambushing my weight maintenance.

I eat chocolate every now and then. But I only eat good chocolate. Semi-sweet, bittersweet,
dark. It's no hardship to pass up cheap milk chocolate any more. The candy rack at the
checkout lane is generally not a problem. Educate your palate, indulge when the opportunity
to try something really fine presents itself.

> I wouldn't have lost the weight if I hadn't changed my eating, but, I wouldn't have kept it off
> without the exercise.

Absolutely.

> To keep this topical to the group I have a brand-new Trek 4100 that I bought from my local bike
> shop. I've loved every minute that I've spent out on it, and haven't done myself any serious
> damage, yet :).

Fair warning... Sooner or later, everybody goes over the bars at least once. I think it's
happened to me...(thinking...) maybe 4 or 5(?) times in 6 years, with maybe double that
number of near misses. And I'm really careful.

Kathleen

"Gwen Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Sadly, I *don't* (have good balance, at least for riding). I just sort of putter along, and as
> soon as I notice *anyone* coming up behind, I'm off the trail to let them pass.
>
> I'm not really confident in what I'm doing. I'm hoping the more I go out and ride, the more that
> will improve.
>
> In the meantime, I brake down all the steep hills that go 'down', walk all the steep hills that go
> 'up', and practice changing gears on the flat parts.
>
> Gwen

As long as you're having fun, don't be too bothered about the skill. That comes eventually with
practice whether you like it or not.

;-p

bloocow.

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003 15:30:29 -0700, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Sadly, I *don't* (have good balance, at least for riding). I just sort of putter along, and as
>> soon as I notice *anyone* coming up behind, I'm off the trail to let them pass.
>>
>> I'm not really confident in what I'm doing. I'm hoping the more I go out and ride, the more that
>> will improve.
>>
>> In the meantime, I brake down all the steep hills that go 'down', walk all the steep hills that
>> go 'up', and practice changing gears on the flat parts.
>>
>> Gwen
>
>you have to start somewhere... give yourself credit for just getting out there and doing it.
>
>Some folks learn by doing; I myself like to disscet and analyze a skill and then go try and do it.
>More miles = more confidence. Do you have any one to ride with? Tagging along with folks better
>than you is a great way to learn and grow as a rider.

Nope. Not yet, anyway.

I see the Young Stockbroker types kitted out in their spandex that's color-coordinated with their
bikes and helmets, but, I'm not about to impose on them to ask if I can toddle along behind. They
all seem to be having too much fun racing each other to wait up for a pokey girl who's not part of
their group.

I'm going to give it the better part of the summer before I really get motivated to push myself. As
you've pointed out, at this point even getting out and riding is an improvement.

I keep trying to go out for ride #4, but, it seems the Fates are conspiring against me. After days
of rain, we had *one* clear day, and I overslept (damn DST threw me off). Today, it snowed. Ungh.

Gwen

--

On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 21:48:52 -0500, Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote:

>> twice a week, and I'm trying to set a pattern of mountain biking 3x a week (weather allowing).
>
> Wow, that's great. I try to ride three times a week for at least an hour and a half, either
> on my mountain bike, or on my recumbent. We have a nice loop of multi-use paved trails and
> we're close to a rails-to-trails gravel trail that spans the state, so even when it's too
> muddy to ride off road, unless it's flat out pouring (in which case, I say screw it, and
> settle in with a book), I have no excuse for not getting out anyway.

I only know of one set of trails (although I read there are some others close by, I just haven't
'found' them, yet), in my neck of the woods. I don't feel comfortable riding them unless they're
going to be dry. I have enough trouble braking down those hills when they're dry -- the idea of
trying to go down them muddy sets my teeth on edge.

>> My great weakness is chocolate, and I've been battling with finding a balance between allowing
>> myself an occasional 'treat' and ambushing my weight maintenance.
>
> I eat chocolate every now and then. But I only eat good chocolate. Semi-sweet, bittersweet,
> dark. It's no hardship to pass up cheap milk chocolate any more. The candy rack at the
> checkout lane is generally not a problem. Educate your palate, indulge when the opportunity
> to try something really fine presents itself.

I prefer good chocolate, too. But the cheap stuff will do if I can't get my paws on the better
stuff. Before I started low-carbing, I'd rarely touch the cheap stuff, anymore. Now that I don't eat
any 'snack' foods (except nuts and cheese), suddenly, even Hershey's is lookin' pretty good. *sigh*.

>> To keep this topical to the group I have a brand-new Trek 4100 that I bought from my local bike
>> shop. I've loved every minute that I've spent out on it, and haven't done myself any serious
>> damage, yet :).
>
> Fair warning... Sooner or later, everybody goes over the bars at least once. I think it's
> happened to me...(thinking...) maybe 4 or 5(?) times in 6 years, with maybe double that
> number of near misses. And I'm really careful.

So, this is like horseback riding, in that you can expect to fall off now and then?

I took a road cycling class last autumn (which is indirectly what led me to getting a mountain
bike). My very first class, I was riding back to the parking lot at the college, and I coasted down
a hill too fast. I hit the curb, went over the bars, and smacked my head into the metal post that
was holding up a road sign. I cracked my helmet pretty badly, and ripped up the skin over one knee
(blood dripping everywhere), but, I had no lasting injuries.

Gwen

--
Gwen Morse -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= "Love is a snowmobile racing
across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels
come." -- Matt Groening

"Gwen Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I took a road cycling class last autumn (which is indirectly what led me to getting a mountain
> bike). My very first class, I was riding back to the parking lot at the college, and I coasted
> down a hill too fast. I hit the curb, went over the bars, and smacked my head into the metal post
> that was holding up a road sign. I cracked my helmet pretty badly, and ripped up the skin over one
> knee (blood dripping everywhere), but, I had no lasting injuries.

Marry me.

Bill "falls easily" S.

> "Gwen Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I took a road cycling class last autumn (which is indirectly what led me to getting a mountain
> > bike). My very first class, I was riding back to the parking lot at the college, and I coasted
> > down a hill too fast. I hit the curb, went over the bars, and smacked my head into the metal
> > post that was holding up a road sign. I cracked my helmet pretty badly, and ripped up the skin
> > over one knee (blood dripping everywhere), but, I had no lasting injuries.
>
> Marry me.
>
> Bill "falls easily" S.

I think you missed the most important part, "I had no lasting injuries." More importantly, no
lasting cranial injuries, so you're SOL!
--
Slacker - when did Sorni learn to go DH....fast!

--
http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Gwen Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 6 Apr 2003 15:30:29 -0700, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >> Sadly, I *don't* (have good balance, at least for riding). I just sort of putter along, and as
> >> soon as I notice *anyone* coming up behind, I'm off the trail to let them pass.
> >>
> >> I'm not really confident in what I'm doing. I'm hoping the more I go out and ride, the more
> >> that will improve.
> >>
> >> In the meantime, I brake down all the steep hills that go 'down', walk all the steep hills that
> >> go 'up', and practice changing gears on the flat parts.
> >>
> >> Gwen
> >
> >you have to start somewhere... give yourself credit for just getting out there and doing it.
> >
> >Some folks learn by doing; I myself like to disscet and analyze a skill
and
> >then go try and do it. More miles = more confidence. Do you have any
one
> >to ride with? Tagging along with folks better than you is a great way to learn and grow as
> >a rider.
>
> Nope. Not yet, anyway.
>
> I see the Young Stockbroker types kitted out in their spandex that's color-coordinated with their
> bikes and helmets, but, I'm not about to impose on them to ask if I can toddle along behind. They
> all seem to be having too much fun racing each other to wait up for a pokey girl who's not part of
> their group.
>
> I'm going to give it the better part of the summer before I really get motivated to push myself.
> As you've pointed out, at this point even getting out and riding is an improvement.
>
> I keep trying to go out for ride #4, but, it seems the Fates are conspiring against me. After days
> of rain, we had *one* clear day, and I overslept (damn DST threw me off). Today, it snowed. Ungh.
>
> Gwen
>
> --
> Gwen Morse -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= "Love is a snowmobile racing
> across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice
> weasels come." -- Matt Groening

Hey, I'm one of those young stockbroker types...no snob though, I'd ride with ya!

> "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > "Gwen Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I took a road cycling class last autumn (which is indirectly what led me to getting a mountain
> > > bike). My very first class, I was riding back to the parking lot at the college, and I coasted
> > > down a hill too fast. I hit the curb, went over the bars, and smacked my head into the metal
> > > post that was holding up a road sign. I cracked my helmet pretty badly, and ripped up the skin
> > > over one knee (blood dripping everywhere), but, I had no lasting injuries.
> >
> > Marry me.
> >
> > Bill "falls easily" S.
>

> I think you missed the most important part, "I had no lasting injuries."
More importantly, no lasting cranial injuries, so you're
> SOL!
> --
> Slacker - when did Sorni learn to go DH....fast!

Turkamundo. If you can't make it UP the hill, you'll never see how fast I go down :)

Bill "now if my damn KNEES would stop bothering me" S.

> > > "Gwen Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > Marry me.
> > >
> > > Bill "falls easily" S.
> >

> > I think you missed the most important part, "I had no lasting injuries."
> More importantly, no lasting cranial injuries, so you're
> > SOL!
> > --
> > Slacker - when did Sorni learn to go DH....fast!
>
> Turkamundo. If you can't make it UP the hill, you'll never see how fast I go down :)
>
> Bill "now if my damn KNEES would stop bothering me" S.

Hehe....good point! When is the next annual SJT amb ride?

What's up with your knees?

--
Slacker - has a need to try to redeem

Gwen Morse wrote:
> I see the Young Stockbroker types kitted out in their spandex that's color-coordinated with their
> bikes and helmets, but, I'm not about to impose on them to ask if I can toddle along behind. They
> all seem to be having too much fun racing each other to wait up for a pokey girl who's not part of
> their group.
>
> I'm going to give it the better part of the summer before I really get motivated to push myself.
> As you've pointed out, at this point even getting out and riding is an improvement.
>
> I keep trying to go out for ride #4, but, it seems the Fates are conspiring against me. After days
> of rain, we had *one* clear day, and I overslept (damn DST threw me off). Today, it snowed. Ungh.
>
> Gwen

I have this burning nurturing urge to give advice and pointers but I promise I won't unless asked.

Penny

> > > Slacker - when did Sorni learn to go DH....fast!
> >
> > Turkamundo. If you can't make it UP the hill, you'll never see how fast
> > go down :)
> >
> > Bill "now if my damn KNEES would stop bothering me" S.
>

> Hehe....good point! When is the next annual SJT amb ride?

Hopefully not in mid-July again! (Miles and I recommend coming down via Los Pinos, btw.
Pack a lunch!)

> What's up with your knees?

Old age? Never had knee probs before -- even as a runner/would-be marathoner -- but just recently
they started hurting. First it was just the left; then both ached (starting about an hour into
rides). I'm icing them and trying to do some rehab. Frustrating as hell, though, because I can't
figure out why...

Bill "an excuse to spin, I s'pose" S.

..::TBF::.. wrote:

> Hey, I'm one of those young stockbroker types...

I should have known. Just a dab lower on the shyster scale than an attorney.

Greg

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 19:42:35 -0700, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

>Gwen Morse wrote:
>> I see the Young Stockbroker types kitted out in their spandex that's color-coordinated with their
>> bikes and helmets, but, I'm not about to impose on them to ask if I can toddle along behind. They
>> all seem to be having too much fun racing each other to wait up for a pokey girl who's not part
>> of their group.
>>
>> I'm going to give it the better part of the summer before I really get motivated to push myself.
>> As you've pointed out, at this point even getting out and riding is an improvement.
>>
>> I keep trying to go out for ride #4, but, it seems the Fates are conspiring against me. After
>> days of rain, we had *one* clear day, and I overslept (damn DST threw me off). Today, it
>> snowed. Ungh.
>>
>> Gwen
>
> I have this burning nurturing urge to give advice and pointers but I promise I won't unless asked.

Is this the part where you tell me not to be intimidated by the spiffily-dressed mountain bikers,
or, the part where you tell me to go biking in the rain and snow?

Consider yourself asked :).

Gwen

--
Gwen Morse -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= "Love is a snowmobile racing
across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels
come." -- Matt Groening

Simon <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> |
> | "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> | news:[email protected]...
> | >
> | > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> | > news:[email protected]...
> | > |

> | > | > > |
> | > | > > |

> started
> | problems
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > Chuckles and now knows the fender issue hits a nerve with Mr.Bomba. To
> me
> | > its all fun n games.
> | >
> | > Simon......god I love this place
> |
> | And THAT, dear Gwen, is AM-B.
> |
> | Bill "run...run as fast as you can" S.
> |

> Is the demo over now?
>
> Simon

What demo?

Shaun aRe - I'll have two!

Gwen Morse wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 19:42:35 -0700, "Penny S."
>>
>> I have this burning nurturing urge to give advice and pointers but I promise I won't
>> unless asked.
>
> Is this the part where you tell me not to be intimidated by the spiffily-dressed mountain bikers,
> or, the part where you tell me to go biking in the rain and snow?
>
> Consider yourself asked :).
>
> Gwen

Yes to #1, as for #2, only you can decide if you are a weather weenie or not. ;-)

back to basics for you:

Miles miles miles... yup, ,just get a lot of trail miles under your belt. Today's lesson:

Are you familiar with the "attack" or "neutral" position? This is the basic for all mb skills. Feet
at 3/9 on pedals, butt OFF the saddle, legs slightly extended but still bent; eyes looking forward.
This is good for any technical , semi technical or downward sloping part of the trail. This position
gives you the opportunity to be dynamic, move with the bike. For downhill you move your weight back.
I'm sure someone can post a URL for you of what attack position looks like.

Eyes down the trail. Look where you want to go and the bike will follow. Do not look at the tree,
the big rock, the cliff edge. ;-) We all know what happens when you do that....

Penny

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 23:52:48 GMT, "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Gwen Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I took a road cycling class last autumn (which is indirectly what led me to getting a mountain
>> bike). My very first class, I was riding back to the parking lot at the college, and I coasted
>> down a hill too fast. I hit the curb, went over the bars, and smacked my head into the metal post
>> that was holding up a road sign. I cracked my helmet pretty badly, and ripped up the skin over
>> one knee (blood dripping everywhere), but, I had no lasting injuries.
>
>Marry me.
>
>Bill "falls easily" S.

Hmm. Started my first flame war, and got my first marriage proposal, all in the same thread.

I think this is one for the blog.

Gwen "already married" M. :)

--
Gwen Morse -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= "Love is a snowmobile racing
across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels
come." -- Matt Groening

"Gwen Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 23:52:48 GMT, "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"Gwen Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> I took a road cycling class last autumn (which is indirectly what led me to getting a mountain
> >> bike). My very first class, I was riding back to the parking lot at the college, and I coasted
> >> down a hill too fast. I hit the curb, went over the bars, and smacked my head into the metal
> >> post that was holding up a road sign. I cracked my helmet pretty badly, and ripped up the skin
> >> over one knee (blood dripping everywhere), but, I had no lasting injuries.
> >
> >Marry me.
> >
> >Bill "falls easily" S.
>
> Hmm. Started my first flame war, and got my first marriage proposal, all in the same thread.
>
> I think this is one for the blog.

BLOG?!?

> Gwen "already married" M. :)

Curses, blogged again...

Bill "already married (and divorced)...twice!" S.