Burning body fat

robbyh

Jun 6, 2013
I am using cycling as a way of trying to shed some excess around my gut! Used to run but my knees are pretty shot after working on them for years without wearing pads ( stupid I know ) !! My question is this.... Is it better to go on a long fairly moderate intensity ride or shorter bursts of much higher intensity?? Any input would be most welcome

Originally Posted by robbyh .

I am using cycling as a way of trying to shed some excess around my gut! Used to run but my knees are pretty shot after working on them for years without wearing pads ( stupid I know ) !! My question is this.... Is it better to go on a long fairly moderate intensity ride or shorter bursts of much higher intensity?? Any input would be most welcome
...and I am "Volnix" and -I am- my target weight! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Hmmm, its probably best to check with a doctor or a coach or both and maybe a nutritionist or whatever they are called and a good chef too... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif But this is what worked for me when I was +10kg then I should or wanted to be:

1. Dont make any excersise that's causing strain to your bones. Excess weight is bad for the bones. Prefer aerobic excersise. If you got access to a swimming pool its great. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

2. Meat, unless you are a vegeterian, which you shouldn't be because everybody knows that vegeterians are hell spawns that support satan and illegal seal hunting for fur, /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif is gonna keep you feeling full and has very little calories. If you have a steak and some salad you are gonna feel full for long with just 200calories. This way you can sleep at night without feeling hungry. Your stomach wont like it much though...

3. Drink lots of water etc...

4. Every once in a while you can have a huge pizza and a six pack I guess. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Good luck! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Reactions: Gracek142
Thanks Volnix! Useful info as well as being witty! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

If possible and you are capable do a combination of intervals and long rides but your best bet is to do long rolling rides, stay hydrated and try and calculate your need to refule. You should be able to knock down about 800 calories an hour or better on a reasonably intense ride, also some people get impatient if they don't drop pound immediately. The body tends to try and regulate a given weight range until you can train it to do otherwise.
Be patient, 2 pounds a week is a reasonable goal for most.

Thanks Volnix! Useful info as well as being witty! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif
No problem... Here is some more ehmmm "inspirational" material /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

If things go wrong you can ehmmm "quit" or something... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Volnix .

2. Meat, unless you are a vegeterian, which you shouldn't be because everybody knows that vegeterians are hell spawns that support satan and illegal seal hunting for fur, /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif is gonna keep you feeling full and has very little calories. If you have a steak and some salad you are gonna feel full for long with just 200calories. This way you can sleep at night without feeling hungry. Your stomach wont like it much though...
All the vego's I know are lean as without even trying. I wonder, does anyone have some data showing BMI or whatever of various groups?

You may be interested in the works of T.Colin Campbell. It is well known in the plant based nutrition community that not consuming meat/dairy makes one fuller longer. The body of veg/vegans also excretes more heat, which correlates with a higher metabolism and loss of fat.

Originally Posted by Monte730 .

You may be interested in the works of T.Colin Campbell. It is well known in the plant based nutrition community that not consuming meat/dairy makes one fuller longer. The body of veg/vegans also excretes more heat, which correlates with a higher metabolism and loss of fat.
The unfortunate downside of higher metabolism is shorter lifespan. A study with calorically deprived chimps showed decreased cellular aging in comparison to their well fed counterparts. Interesting that you mentioned heat as their body temps were also measured at a degree or so lower than normal.

Exercise is great for weight management but so is a minor reduction in food intake, maybe even something as insignificant as dropping a single can of soda (or whatever) each day.

Originally Posted by danfoz .

The unfortunate downside of higher metabolism is shorter lifespan. A study with calorically deprived chimps showed decreased cellular aging in comparison to their well fed counterparts. Interesting that you mentioned heat as their body temps were also measured at a degree or so lower than normal.

Exercise is great for weight management but so is a minor reduction in food intake, maybe even something as insignificant as dropping a single can of soda (or whatever) each day.
Either way the SAD diet isn't any good, one just needs to look around at the public - 60%+ are fat or obese.

Originally Posted by ambal .

Either way the SAD diet isn't any good, one just needs to look around at the public - 60%+ are fat or obese.
True dat. Overly processed foods, low or no fruits and veggies, refined sugars, zero fiber. No good.

PARTICIPANTS: A total of 37875 healthy men and women aged 20-97 y participating in EPIC-Oxford.

RESULTS: Age-adjusted mean BMI was significantly different between the four diet groups, being highest in the meat-eaters (24.41 kg/m(2) in men, 23.52 kg/m(2) in women) and lowest in the vegans (22.49 kg/m(2) in men, 21.98 kg/m(2) in women). Fish-eaters and vegetarians had similar, intermediate mean BMI. Differences in lifestyle factors including smoking, physical activity and education level accounted for less than 5% of the difference in mean age-adjusted BMI between meat-eaters and vegans, whereas differences in macronutrient intake accounted for about half of the difference. High protein (as percent energy) and low fibre intakes were the dietary factors most strongly and consistently associated with increasing BMI both between and within the diet groups.

CONCLUSIONS: Fish-eaters, vegetarians and especially vegans had lower BMI than meat-eaters. Differences in macronutrient intakes accounted for about half the difference in mean BMI between vegans and meat-eaters. High protein and low fibre intakes were the factors most strongly associated with increasing BMI.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12833118

All the vego's I know are lean as without even trying. I wonder, does anyone have some data showing BMI or whatever of various groups?
Thats strange because all these potato munchers that I know are fat. But that might be because of the schizophrenia medicine...

An interesting thought on BMI (without trying to turn this into a bodybuilding forum).....If all cows and horses eat is grass all day how is it that they have evolved to be so strong, powerful and massive and are able to maintain all that muscle despite the seemingly extremely low amount of protein in their diets?(With the exception of mal-treated animals) Yeah for sure, their genetic make up is completely different (questionable if you know some of the women that I know LOL!), but they are all flesh, bones and blood like us, right!! Protein makes protein, right!....I dunno actually-am starting to have my doubts!!!....Right, just off outside to mow the lawn. I'm sure those nitrogen rich grass clippings'll taste great with a little EV olive oil!!

All the vego's I know are lean as without even trying.
That's pretty much my experience. One of the fighters I follow, Mac Danzig, has been a vegan for a number of years and he's as tough as they come. Here he talks a little bit about it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtGsCJ7Chns

I'm not advocating any particular diet myself and have always been a fan of calorie management for dropping weight.

Your question is a good one and in a nutshell they are both beneficial when it comes to getting rid of a few extra pounds. Back in the day 'experts' recommended long slow duration training, i.e. 60-70% HR, over shorter high intensity works outs for burning fat. These days things have changed a bit. While it may be true that you burn a greater percentage of calories from Fat in LSD training, you can burn a larger number of Total calories, and even total Fat calories by doing higher intensity training.

At lower HR/intensities, our body utilizes fat for fuel, say rest to 75% HR max. As you up the intensity, our bodies begin to switch from fat as fuel to carbohydrates for fuel, 75% HR max to failure. You can look up Rq value and exercise if you are interested.

Let's take an example:

Consider a 2 hour LSD training ride where you ride at an easy pace and burn 600 calories vs a higher intensity interval training ride where you burn 800 calories in an hour. Your percentage of calories burned from fat may be higher in the LSD ride, but overall calories are less and your total number of fat calories will be higher from the higher intensity ride.

This is a lot of hot air telling you that both are good. To lose weight you need to either burn more calories than your body needs each day or your need to reduce the number of calories you consume each day below what your body needs. I have always used body weight x 1,000 as a good starting point for calorie consumption. Its not perfect and I'm not a dietician, but it works. 175 and generally start at 1750 calories a day for a base line. Go for a week at this level and see how you feel, did you lose weight or gain weight? Do you feel like ****? If so, increase your calories a bit. Losing 1 to 2 pounds a week is acceptable and not too painful. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by azdroptop .

This about sums it up. And the more active, the further able to stray from the daily # of calories making up the basal metabolic rate. The trick is finding a sustainable balance for the long haul.

Edit: And one of the reasons carbs may be poopoo'd is that they begin breaking down in the mouth. Carbs low in fiber (think a slice of Wonder) can literally be dissolved in the mouth. The digestive enzyme found in saliva, salivary amylase, begins breaking it down immediately. An experiment we did back in high school can easily validate: make a bologna sandwich on Wonder bread, chew for a bit and then spit the contents back out on a plate. The bread has effectively disappeared (but bet your bottom dollar the calories have not), and the bologna remains (beyond mastication, this will get broken down at an enzymatic level in the stomach). If it's broken down in the mouth, there's nothing taking up space in the stomach to create a feeling of fullness, and the feeling of the hunger is not sated. Furthermore, foods high in fiber actually take more energy to break down - one is expending calories digesting the very food whose calories will eventually comprise those love handles. So the types of food one eats also play a big role in an effective weight management strategy.

azdroptop said:
Your question is a good one and in a nutshell they are both beneficial when it comes to getting rid of a few extra pounds.  Back in the day 'experts' recommended long slow duration training, i.e. 60-70% HR, over shorter high intensity works outs for burning fat. These days things have changed a bit.  While it may be true that you burn a greater percentage of calories from Fat in LSD training, you can burn a larger number of Total calories, and even total Fat calories  by doing higher intensity training. At lower HR/intensities, our body utilizes fat for fuel, say rest to 75% HR max.  As you up the intensity, our bodies begin to switch from fat as fuel to carbohydrates for fuel, 75% HR max to failure.  You can look up Rq value and exercise if you are interested.  Let's take an example: Consider a 2 hour LSD training ride where you ride at an easy pace and burn 600 calories vs a higher intensity interval training ride where you burn 800 calories in an hour.  Your percentage of calories burned from fat may be higher in the LSD ride, but overall calories are less and your total number of fat calories will be higher from the higher intensity ride. This is a lot of hot air telling you that both are good.  To lose weight you need to either burn more calories than your body needs each day or your need to reduce the number of calories you consume each day below what your body needs.  I have always used body weight x 1,000 as a good starting point for calorie consumption.  Its not perfect and I'm not a dietician, but it works.  175 and generally start at 1750 calories a day for a base line.  Go for a week at this level and see how you feel, did you lose weight or gain weight?  Do you feel like ****?  If so, increase your calories a bit.  Losing 1 to 2 pounds a week is acceptable and not too painful.  Hope this helps.
Unless my math is wrong body weight x 1000 is a huge amount of calories. For 175lb rider that would be 175000 calories. I weigh 173 and don't think I could ever eat 173,000 calories in a day. Even converting to kg doesn't really help. As for research supporting high intensity, short duration intervals, here's a study that's been discussed a bit lately: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2991639/

Originally Posted by alienator .

Unless my math is wrong body weight x 1000 is a huge amount of calories. For 175lb rider that would be 175000 calories. I weigh 173 and don't think I could ever eat 173,000 calories in a day. Even converting to kg doesn't really help.
Winning the Coney Island hot dog eating contest would put you at about 17000 cals. Now if you could do that 10x in a day...