Burning down the sprouts

Curly Sue

Guest
I set the Brussels sprouts to finish sauteeing, but my TV program was starting and I forgot
about them.

Let me tell you, blackened Brussels sprouts STINK! Fortunately tonight is garbage eve so the
physical evidence will be gone by tomorrow morning.

I fear, however, that the smell will linger for days. I guess I'll try burning a scented candle.

Curly Sue wrote:
> I set the Brussels sprouts to finish sauteeing, but my TV program was starting and I forgot
> about them.
>
> Let me tell you, blackened Brussels sprouts STINK! Fortunately tonight is garbage eve so the
> physical evidence will be gone by tomorrow morning.
>
> I fear, however, that the smell will linger for days. I guess I'll try burning a scented candle.
>
> Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Similar to burned cabbage; I had to be very careful with the cabbage recipe the other night which
called for sauteeing it, quartered, with garlic in oil... could have been a disaster!

Don't you just love sprouts otherwise, though? I don't understand people who hate them. Gosh, they
are tasty! Except, there's always that *one* nasty sprout that just tastes bitter... (sigh)

Jill

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Curly Sue) wrote:

> I set the Brussels sprouts to finish sauteeing, but my TV program was starting and I forgot
> about them.
>
> Let me tell you, blackened Brussels sprouts STINK! Fortunately tonight is garbage eve so the
> physical evidence will be gone by tomorrow morning.
>
> I fear, however, that the smell will linger for days. I guess I'll try burning a scented candle.
>
> Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Incense... Lots of it. ;-) Gonesh ancient times, or some good Nag Champa if you can find it... ;-)
Works great on ciggy smoke in the car too.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Curly Sue) wrote:
>
>> I set the Brussels sprouts to finish sauteeing, but my TV program was starting and I forgot
>> about them.
>>
>> Let me tell you, blackened Brussels sprouts STINK! Fortunately tonight is garbage eve so the
>> physical evidence will be gone by tomorrow morning.
>>
>> I fear, however, that the smell will linger for days. I guess I'll try burning a scented candle.
>>
>> Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!
>
> Incense... Lots of it. ;-) Gonesh ancient times, or some good Nag Champa if you can find it... ;-)
> Works great on ciggy smoke in the car too.
>
> K.

You burn incense in the car? Stick or cone?

Jill

"Curly Sue" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I set the Brussels sprouts to finish sauteeing, but my TV program was starting and I forgot
> about them.
>
> Let me tell you, blackened Brussels sprouts STINK! Fortunately tonight is garbage eve so the
> physical evidence will be gone by tomorrow morning.
>
> I fear, however, that the smell will linger for days. I guess I'll try burning a scented candle.
>
> Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

You can spray w/Ozium-but don't go into the room for a while.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Vegetables: Brussels Sprouts And Onions With Dill

Recipe By : Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 tblsp oil 6 small white onions, about 1 inch in diameter -- peeled & quartered 12 Brussels
sprouts, trimmed -- quartered lengthwise
1/4 cup water 1 teaspoon sugar 1 teaspoon minced fresh dill & 2 sprigs for garnish

In a heavy 10 inch skillet, heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and saute
onions and Brussel sprouts, stirring until onions begin to turn golden, about 1 1/2 minutes.

Add water, sugar and salt & pepper to taste and cook, covered, over moderately low heat until
veggies are just tender, about 3 minutes. If any liquid remains, boil mixture until nearly all
liquid is evaporated and stir in minced dill.

Garnish with dill sprigs.

In article <p%[email protected]>,
"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Curly Sue)
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I set the Brussels sprouts to finish sauteeing, but my TV program was starting and I forgot
> >> about them.
> >>
> >> Let me tell you, blackened Brussels sprouts STINK! Fortunately tonight is garbage eve so the
> >> physical evidence will be gone by tomorrow morning.
> >>
> >> I fear, however, that the smell will linger for days. I guess I'll try burning a scented
> >> candle.
> >>
> >> Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!
> >
> > Incense... Lots of it. ;-) Gonesh ancient times, or some good Nag Champa if you can find it...
> > ;-) Works great on ciggy smoke in the car too.
> >
> > K.
> >
> You burn incense in the car? Stick or cone?
>
> Jill

Stick. It's safer.

If I need to deoderize the car, (which happens sometime if some scumbag at the repair shop smoked in
my car!), I use a stick holder for safety and place 2 or 3 sticks in it, light them and place it on
the dashboard with all the windows close...

Leave it while you are NOT in there of course!

The incense smell absorbs nicely into the headliner and seats.

It works. :)

Works nice for mildewy smells too if you left the window open during a rain.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 02:30:23 -0600, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Curly Sue wrote:
>> I set the Brussels sprouts to finish sauteeing, but my TV program was starting and I forgot
>> about them.
>>
>> Let me tell you, blackened Brussels sprouts STINK! Fortunately

<snip>

>Don't you just love sprouts otherwise, though? I don't understand people who hate them. Gosh, they
>are tasty! Except, there's always that *one* nasty sprout that just tastes bitter... (sigh)
>
>Jill

Tasty and so cute!

I just noticed a couple of weeks ago that my local store carries fresh Brussels sprouts and have
been picking them up.

I think some people are adverse to a flavor component of the cruciferae
(sprouts/cabbage/cauliflower) and some just never let themselves develop a taste for them. I've also
noticed that the frozen ones vary a lot in bitterness/woodiness within the package. The fresh ones
seem more uniform.

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 02:45:25 -0600, Katra
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Curly Sue) wrote:
>
>> I set the Brussels sprouts to finish sauteeing, but my TV program was starting and I forgot
>> about them.
>>
>> Let me tell you, blackened Brussels sprouts STINK! Fortunately tonight is garbage eve so the
>> physical evidence will be gone by tomorrow morning.
>>
>> I fear, however, that the smell will linger for days. I guess I'll try burning a scented candle.
>>
>> Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!
>
>Incense... Lots of it. ;-) Gonesh ancient times, or some good Nag Champa if you can find it... ;-)
>Works great on ciggy smoke in the car too.

I bought some chocolate incense that would have been ideal for this but I gave it away. Shoulda
bought two.

The good news is that this morning either a) the smell is gone or b) my nose has become
desensitized :>

We'll see which it is when I come back from work.

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 10:21:49 GMT, "Kswck" <[email protected]> wrote:

>You can spray w/Ozium-but don't go into the room for a while.
>

>* Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Vegetables: Brussels Sprouts And Onions With Dill

Thanks for the recipe. I was cooking them according to the way I had them at Babbo, pan fried and
carmelized. Well, I was trying to cook them that way :> (had been successful before)

Your recipe sounds like something I'll try too.

Curly Sue wrote:

> I set the Brussels sprouts to finish sauteeing, but my TV program was starting and I forgot
> about them.
>
> Let me tell you, blackened Brussels sprouts STINK! Fortunately tonight is garbage eve so the
> physical evidence will be gone by tomorrow morning.
>
> I fear, however, that the smell will linger for days. I guess I'll try burning a scented candle.

How about one of those newer air cleaners from Lysol/whoever.

nancy

Curly Sue wrote:
> I set the Brussels sprouts to finish sauteeing, but my TV program was starting and I forgot
> about them.
>
> Let me tell you, blackened Brussels sprouts STINK! Fortunately tonight is garbage eve so the
> physical evidence will be gone by tomorrow morning.
>
> I fear, however, that the smell will linger for days. I guess I'll try burning a scented candle.
>
> Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Yes, days. :-( I've had the same experience with broccoli and it was awful.

Best regards, Bob

--
"Now it smells like someone s! on a candle"

Curly Sue wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 02:30:23 -0600, "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Curly Sue wrote:
>>> Let me tell you, blackened Brussels sprouts STINK! Fortunately
>
> <snip>
>
>> Don't you just love sprouts otherwise, though? I don't understand people who hate them.

>> Jill
>
> Tasty and so cute!
>
> I just noticed a couple of weeks ago that my local store carries fresh Brussels sprouts and have
> been picking them up.
>
> The fresh ones seem more uniform.
>
> Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

You'd probably really like escalloped 'sprouts... simple enough. Cut the sprouts in half lengthwise.
Prepare a bechamel sauce and pour the sauce over the sprouts in a shallow baking dish. Bake as you
would escalloped potatoes, hot oven, about 1 hour 15 minutes or so until they are tender and bubbly.
I like to sprinkle breadcrumbs or wheatgerm on the top prior to baking. YUM!

Jill

"Curly Sue" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I set the Brussels sprouts to finish sauteeing, but my TV program was starting and I forgot
> about them.
>
> Let me tell you, blackened Brussels sprouts STINK!
>
> I fear, however, that the smell will linger for days. I guess I'll try burning a scented candle.

I had to repaint the place to kill the odor.

"Curly Sue" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I set the Brussels sprouts to finish sauteeing, but my TV program was starting and I forgot
> about them.
>
> Let me tell you, blackened Brussels sprouts STINK! Fortunately tonight is garbage eve so the
> physical evidence will be gone by tomorrow morning.
>
> I fear, however, that the smell will linger for days. I guess I'll try burning a scented candle.
>
> Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Try spraying some Oust in the room. It's a deodorizer, eliminates smells. Works great. I even used
it on the boat after the fires and it worked very well getting rid of that stale smoke/soot smell.

kimberly

> Curly Sue wrote:
> > I set the Brussels sprouts to finish sauteeing, but my TV program was starting and I forgot
> > about them. Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!
>
> Similar to burned cabbage; > Don't you just love sprouts otherwise, though? I don't understand
> people who hate them. Gosh, they are tasty! Except, there's always that *one* nasty sprout that
> just tastes bitter... (sigh)
>
> Jill
I fixed sprouts for the first time last night. DH has always claimed he hated them but he changed
his mind last night. I mixed up a little balsamic vinegar, sugar, s&p, & melted butter and after
cooking and draining the sprouts I tossed them in the pan with the vinegar mixture, gently heated
and served. They were wonderful! Gigi

x-no-archive: yes

Am I the only one who has violent sneezing attacks from incense?

After kitchen disasters-- actually, after most cooking-- I like to spray with a product called
Smells Be Gone and light a scented candle. Kitchen candles from Williams and Sonoma are good, if
pricey. You need a scent like rosemary or lemon, IMO, nothing too flowery. Naomi D.

x-no-archive: yes

Oh yes, and an alternative to burning a candle is to boil water in a saucepan with cinnamon, cloves
and other aromatics. You could even make yogi tea. (The thread on masala tea reminded me.)

Naomi D.

Katra <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Curly Sue) wrote:
>
> > I set the Brussels sprouts to finish sauteeing, but my TV program was starting and I forgot
> > about them.
> >
> > Let me tell you, blackened Brussels sprouts STINK! Fortunately tonight is garbage eve so the
> > physical evidence will be gone by tomorrow morning.
> >
> > I fear, however, that the smell will linger for days. I guess I'll try burning a scented candle.
> >
> > Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!
>
> Incense... Lots of it. ;-) Gonesh ancient times, or some good Nag Champa if you can find it... ;-)
> Works great on ciggy smoke in the car too.
>
> K.

Ozium.

-bwg