Burning quads and need some training advices

sooray02

Mar 15, 2004
Hello Veterans,

I’ve been riding MTB, but I fell in love with road bike and had to switch. Before I talk about my problems, I’d like to give you my background.

I’m a 20 yr old, 160 lbs, and 6-foot male. I’m from Korea and also a college student (2nd year). Since I came to college I’ve been running a lot, but I’ve noticed that it’s very hard on my body. So, I’ve been biking since then. I’m in decent shape. I run 10k in 40 mins (maybe under 40). and I enjoy playing many other sports.

I’ve been training for a month and I’ve been riding the same loop everyday except 4 days off from spring break. It’s a 20-mile loop. It takes me about an hour. It’s about 30 mins of climbing and 20 mins of flat and 10 mins of downhill.

The problem is, I have burning quads since last week, and it seems like there is nothing I can do about it. Pain hits me after riding about 10 mins and I have to ride in pain. It’s a good lesson but I’d like to get rid of this. Also I tore my hamstring 2 years ago, so I can’t put a lot of pressure on my hamstring.

Any advices welcome.. Thank you!

Originally posted by sooray02
Hello Veterans,

I’ve been riding MTB, but I fell in love with road bike and had to switch. Before I talk about my problems, I’d like to give you my background.

I’m a 20 yr old, 160 lbs, and 6-foot male. I’m from Korea and also a college student (2nd year). Since I came to college I’ve been running a lot, but I’ve noticed that it’s very hard on my body. So, I’ve been biking since then. I’m in decent shape. I run 10k in 40 mins (maybe under 40). and I enjoy playing many other sports.

I’ve been training for a month and I’ve been riding the same loop everyday except 4 days off from spring break. It’s a 20-mile loop. It takes me about an hour. It’s about 30 mins of climbing and 20 mins of flat and 10 mins of downhill.

The problem is, I have burning quads since last week, and it seems like there is nothing I can do about it. Pain hits me after riding about 10 mins and I have to ride in pain. It’s a good lesson but I’d like to get rid of this. Also I tore my hamstring 2 years ago, so I can’t put a lot of pressure on my hamstring.

Any advices welcome.. Thank you!

If you are working very hard on the hills then you could be getting into oxygen debt and going a bit anaerobic and also there may be some muscle fibre fatigue associated....

got a concept for you to explore

RECOVERY !

Originally posted by sooray02

I’ve been training for a month and I’ve been riding the same loop everyday except 4 days off from spring break.

Ok, thats not so good, 2 reasons... first if you do the same track you will get bored and loose motivation, secondly and most important...you MUST have atleast 1 day of a week EVERY week when starting.

[/QUOTE]
It’s a 20-mile loop. It takes me about an hour. It’s about 30 mins of climbing and 20 mins of flat and 10 mins of downhill.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Ok, again not so good. a hard 20 miles in 1 hour is too fast for a begginer. when I start a rider the first thing I teach him/her is do 75% of your riding at 75% max.... for you in a small gear mabey aim to do 20 miles in one hour 15 or so. One hard ride a week (usually a race) is not a bad thing though.

[/QUOTE]
The problem is, I have burning quads since last week, and it seems like there is nothing I can do about it. [/B][/QUOTE]

It hurts because of the way training works. When you train you breack down and damage your muscle. When you rest your body repairs the damage to a stronger point than where it was (very simplified version)

if you ride hard everyday you just keep doing damage......take your time, use a small gear and have atleast 1 day off everyweek and you will get stronger, enjoy riding longer, not damage your legs and hopefully have fun :D

Good luck