Bursitis, anyone?

timeshighmark

Sep 25, 2009
So I've been diagnosed with bursitis in the back of my knee. It's not too bad at the moment, but it does tend to worsen when I start cycling more heavily again. At the moment, it is a relatively small swelling with a chronic mild ache. It only really bothers me when it is compressed when my knee is bent at an acute angle, or if I have been straining it for a longer length of time. It bothers me most if I squat down.

I started cycling last December, and this didn't start until late July. By then I had been doing 25 mile rides twice (sometimes three times) a week at about 11-12 mph for several months.

When the pain and swelling started, I took an entire month off and iced it regularly. When I started back, I took it very slow and rode shorter distances. I iced after each ride. It didn't seem to worsen much unless I pushed myself, but it hasn't improved. I've learned to tune it out.

I also started jogging recently for short stretches. I've been at it about three weeks, taking it very slow, and I'm up to doing a routine of jogging for three minutes then walking for 90 seconds for about 1.5-2 miles. Oddly, the bursitis doesn't usually bother me as much when running. If it is unusually painful, then I just walk.

I would be interested in hearing if anyone has dealt with this before and what treatments they tried. I don't have health insurance, so having it drained or taking steroids is out of the question at the moment. Does anyone know of a wrap or brace of some sort that might help? I've been told that support can help. Should I continue the cold therapy? Add heat therapy? Any suggestions would be so appreciated!