Bursitis at the hip

Far from out of the woods as some days are harder than others but I am having more better day than before...will keep you updated and hope you continue on your quest for a better performance at TT I believe.

-js

Pendejo said:
Hey, glad to hear it, JS. My own problem is very much improved, and I hope I can remain motivated to continue doing my exercises indefinitely. I, too, have become a believer in this posture thing.

After 6 weeks off the bike, I started today with a group ride of 93km.
Just riding in the peleton, no pulling on the head.
Everything looks fine, just a bit of stiffness in my hip.
(And my legs are tired for the moment :-s)

But thanks to everyone who replied, especially js, your stretchings were really helpfull.
I think I'm on the right way now, so next week there is a 120km group ride.
If I survive that one, I will get back in training during the weekdays and do some strenght/interval training.

Thanks again

Bart

Bart,

I am happy to hear you are back on the road riding and if you can do a 93km ride with no issues in the hip/sciatica nerve I would say you may be more than fine enough to go back to training. But you know your body best and taking it slow first probably a good idea. Glad to hear the stretches made a difference.

I am definitely on the right track and believe in the next few months this will all be a bad memory. Hope springs eternal...

Regards,

-js

bartjoosen said:
After 6 weeks off the bike, I started today with a group ride of 93km.
Just riding in the peleton, no pulling on the head.
Everything looks fine, just a bit of stiffness in my hip.
(And my legs are tired for the moment :-s)

But thanks to everyone who replied, especially js, your stretchings were really helpfull.
I think I'm on the right way now, so next week there is a 120km group ride.
If I survive that one, I will get back in training during the weekdays and do some strenght/interval training.

Thanks again

Bart

Damn! This sux, big cajones!

Well, Sir Indestructo is on the injured reserve with all the other walking wounded!:mad: You guys are great guys and all, but I never wanted to join your club.;)

Got too ambitious with the ankle weights (5lbs per ankle) one evening with the wife and daughter - 2.5hrs walking around downtown Vancouver on a sunny evening - and caught a bad case of left hip tendonitis. Been bearing it for a couple weeks now - have even done a couple crits (fair results; but with good increasing power numbers) with it. Last night's crit and the couple 1650w sprints were the straws that broke superman's back though. Today, I really should be walking with a cane/crutch.

Started alternating ice and heat today, and taking ibuprofen (for the right reason now - yippee:D! ). Online resources say 3 weeks to several months for complete recovery - that's almost depressing considering my "A" races are in July. Regardless, I'll take several days completely off and take it easier in the bike, but I'm not going to allow this to destroy my season.:cool:

Sorry to hear Tony, I believe as I told Felt 2009 pretty much sux. This is a year that I will not forget too quickly. It has been a life changer for me.

Just a heed of warning from a guy that is still nursing an injury as I sit on my couch with a sore left IT band, you really need to change your mindset or this can be something that can get worse and really put you out. One of my biggest problems was that even after the injury I still thought in terms of training just with low numbers. I would say forget training and just think in terms of recovery.

First I would see a doctor before I even think of getting on a bike again. Second if you do not do the first than I would not touch the bike at minimum for three weeks. Than once I get back on the bike I would do a "just ride" ride. Take what the body can give and a little less. The best thing I did was switch to my fix bianchi would no gadgets. I have no idea of anything I am doing and it is great. I think I may even be smiling when I ride.

My biggest advice as I gave to everyone else with this type of stuff is stretch like hell during the three weeks off the bike and beyond. if you can go to PT I would do it atleast once a week.

Hope you recover quickly....

-js

tonyzackery said:
Damn! This sux, big cajones!

Well, Sir Indestructo is on the injured reserve with all the other walking wounded!:mad: You guys are great guys and all, but I never wanted to join your club.;)

Got too ambitious with the ankle weights (5lbs per ankle) one evening with the wife and daughter - 2.5hrs walking around downtown Vancouver on a sunny evening - and caught a bad case of left hip tendonitis. Been bearing it for a couple weeks now - have even done a couple crits (fair results; but with good increasing power numbers) with it. Last night's crit and the couple 1650w sprints were the straws that broke superman's back though. Today, I really should be walking with a cane/crutch.

Started alternating ice and heat today, and taking ibuprofen (for the right reason now - yippee:D! ). Online resources say 3 weeks to several months for complete recovery - that's almost depressing considering my "A" races are in July. Regardless, I'll take several days completely off and take it easier in the bike, but I'm not going to allow this to destroy my season.:cool:

Tony, that really sucks...

All I can say: ice, heat and stretch and further: ice, heat and stretch...

One thing that has keeping me busy while doing nothing: lots of swimming.
As I already had some swimming experience for triatlon, I did a lot of swimming sessions instead of cycling. I think it helped me to recover a lot quicker as when I hadn't done anything.
Altough I think spinning on a stationary trainer for 20'-30' with no resistance an high rpm should have the same effect, but is sooooo boring ;)

Anyway, good luck and I hope that your season isn't screwed up.

Bart

Bart, Js - appreciate the well wishes!

On my 3rd day off the bike completely! I haven't been off bike for 2 consecutive days in about 18 months - since my wreck in early Jan. of last year. Good thing is my hip is feeling MUCH better. I can now walk with only a small limp. Gonna give the hip another couple days - at the most - before I get on the bike for some light spinning.

This relatively minor situation gives me renewed perspective on those unfortunate souls who are incapable of riding a bike at all...and how much I take for granted having good health...

tonyzackery said:
I can now walk with only a small limp. Gonna give the hip another couple days - at the most - before I get on the bike for some light spinning.

This relatively minor situation gives me renewed perspective on those unfortunate souls who are incapable of riding a bike at all...and how much I take for granted having good health...

Tony,

I am saying this from too much experience this year. Go to a doc before you get on the bike and given that you are already planning your ride while you are still WALKING WITH A LIMP is a prescription for disaster. You sound really familiar to me because I was saying the exact same thing. I am going on more than 3 mos now. All takes longer as we get older.

I hope I am dead wrong and wish you a speedy recovery.

-js