Bus driver who killed Susie Stephens fined $500

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Brent Hugh, Apr 1, 2003.

  1. Brent Hugh

    Brent Hugh Guest

    St. Louis-area cycling advocate Martin Pion reports that the Michael
    W. Wamble, the bus driver who ran over cycling advocate Susie Stephens last year as she crossed the
    street in a St. Louis crosswalk, pleaded guilty and was fined $500.

    The bus driver failed to yield to the pedestrian in a crosswalk, as required to do by Missouri law.
    Stephens was pulled under the bus and crushed to death by the rear tires.

    More links & details at

    http://mobikefed.org/2003_04_01_newsarchive.html

    While you're there you might scroll down a story or two to see the nice tale of a woman who was run
    off the road into a ditch by a hit-and-run driver near St. Louis.

    Is it just me, or are the idiots out en masse this Spring?

    Already this spring I've had far more than the normal allotment of idiots yelling as they tear by,
    and then, of course, there's the pickup truck that was driven towards me with murderous intent
    (stopped in the middle of a block and threw it into reverse then stomped on the gas leaving a
    15-foot "peel-out" mark--I was right behind him and the only one in sight in any direction, so
    there was little doubt as to who the murderous intent was aimed at--if I hadn't done a quick U-turn
    I would have been right under the end of the "peel-out" marks and distincly unhappier than I am
    right now).

    So is it just me, or does warm weather turn people into idiots?

    --Brent [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. >From: [email protected] (Brent Hugh)

    >So is it just me, or does warm weather turn people into idiots?

    Perhaps it is something other than the weather.

    George F. Johnson A veteran for peace

  3. On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 20:34:46 -0500, Brent Hugh wrote:

    > Is it just me, or are the idiots out en masse this Spring?

    Its war fever. Anyone not conforming to someone else's idea of true-blooded American behavior is
    fair game. The only way to survive is to wrap yourself, literally, in an American flag. Don't make
    the mistake of using a French flag; that, for some reason, brings out the sadist in just about
    anyone in a pickup.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can _`\(,_ | only be cured by
    something racy and Italian. Bianchis and (_)/ (_) | Colnagos are a lot cheaper than Maserattis
    and Ferraris. -- Glenn Davies

  4. On 1 Apr 2003 17:34:46 -0800 in rec.bicycles.misc, [email protected] (Brent Hugh) wrote:

    > then, of course, there's the pickup truck that was driven towards me with murderous intent
    > (stopped in the middle of a block and threw it into reverse then stomped on the gas leaving a
    > 15-foot "peel-out" mark

    idiots like this should *always* have their license number reported to the cops ASAP, so that the
    license number gets put in their system. they are much more likely to pay attention to *repeated*
    reports of behavior like this, now that most police depts have computerized dispatch systems.

  5. Raoul Duke

    Raoul Duke Guest

    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 20:34:46 -0500, Brent Hugh wrote:
    >
    > > Is it just me, or are the idiots out en masse this Spring?
    >
    > Its war fever. Anyone not conforming to someone else's idea of true-blooded American behavior is
    > fair game. The only way to survive is to wrap yourself, literally, in an American flag. Don't make
    > the mistake of using a French flag; that, for some reason, brings out the sadist in just about
    > anyone in a pickup.

    The idiots are in no shortage around here, either.

    Dave

  6. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >So is it just me, or does warm weather turn people into idiots?

    Yesterday as I was riding home, I encountered a wrong way Willy riding and Wilma riding MTBs.

    The fellow seemed to think there was nothing wrong with it, pointed out that no cars were coming.

    I pointed out that it was lucky no cars were coming, that they had no business on my side of the
    road and that they were rather vulnerable to the cars parked alongside the road because the cars
    looked behind them rather than in front of them to see if they could pull out.

    At this point they decided it was best to ride on the correct side but I think it was mostly to get
    rid of me.

    jon isaacs

  7. Fritz M

    Fritz M Guest

    "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > The only way to survive is to wrap yourself, literally, in an American flag.

    I actually considered somehow mountain an American flag to my bike as a survival technique, maybe by
    putting it on my helmet like Sheldon Brown did after 9/11.

    RFM

  8. David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Don't make the mistake of using a French flag; that, for some reason, brings out the sadist in
    : just about anyone in a pickup.

    do you honestly think most americans know what the french flag looks like?
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  9. Brent Hugh

    Brent Hugh Guest

    [email protected] (Dennis P. Harris) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 1 Apr 2003 17:34:46 -0800 in rec.bicycles.misc, [email protected] (Brent Hugh) wrote:
    >
    > > then, of course, there's the pickup truck that was driven towards me with murderous intent
    > > (stopped in the middle of a block and threw it into reverse then stomped on the gas leaving a
    > > 15-foot "peel-out" mark
    >
    > idiots like this should *always* have their license number reported to the cops ASAP, so that the
    > license number gets put in their system. they are much more likely to pay attention to *repeated*
    > reports of behavior like this, now that most police depts have computerized dispatch systems.

    That is good advice. I did call 911 immediately and they did take the license number (I got a good
    look at the license plate, because the driver's first stupid maneuver was unexpectedly jamming on
    the brakes mid-block, giving me an unexpected close-up view of the rear of his truck.)

    (BTW, the idiot 911 operator kept asking, "Assualt? How was it assault? You're not even hurt!" She
    couldn't understand how having an automobile driven at a person, deliberately and with clear intent
    to hurt or kill, could possibly be called "assault".)

    So I did "report" the incident, but I don't know how much good it did, because the police didn't
    want to come and look at the evidence or take a statement. Despite the fact that I had been
    assaulted with a deadly weapon. They were "short on manpower".

    "Short on manpower", despite the fact that an officer had been dispatched to "check me out" just a
    few days before, because I had been "walking back and forth on a sidewalk".

    Now there's some suspicious activity--walking!

    Any advice on what the magical words are to get the police to take a road rage incident like this
    seriously? "Deliberately tried to run me over with his vehicle" made no impression at all. Even
    though I had the license number, a description of the vehicle and driver, and clear physical
    evidence at the scene showing that the driver was up to some kind of no good (the "peel out" mark is
    clearly from a vehicle backing up--very hard to explain why a person would stop mid-block, put it in
    reverse, and lay down 15 feet of rubber as part of a "normal driving maneuver").

    BTW, the Missouri Bicycle Federation will send a letter to the vehicle driver reminding them to
    "share the road" and (more effective) putting them on notice that their idiotic behavior is on file
    with MBF and will be duly trotted out in court if they ever repeat it. I did have MBF send a letter,
    so that *might* do some good.

    Missouri cyclists should take advantage of this when needed. See
    http://www.mobikefed.org/motoristcontact.html

    --Brent bhugh @ mwsc.edu

  10. In article <[email protected]>, Brent Hugh <[email protected]> wrote:
    >(BTW, the idiot 911 operator kept asking, "Assualt? How was it assault? You're not even hurt!" She
    >couldn't understand how having an automobile driven at a person, deliberately and with clear intent
    >to hurt or kill, could possibly be called "assault".)

    So if someone had aimed and fired a gun at you but missed so that you were not even hurt, that 911
    operator would not have believed it to be assault?

    Timothy J. Lee Unsolicited bulk or commercial email is not welcome. No warranty of any kind is
    provided with this message.

  11. On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 04:20:31 +0000, George F. Johnson wrote:

    >>From: [email protected] (Brent Hugh)
    >
    >>So is it just me, or does warm weather turn people into idiots?
    >
    > Perhaps it is something other than the weather.
    >
    > George F. Johnson A veteran for peace

    it's the war mode, brings out agression. Observe what goes on in society. As much as people would
    deny it there is a rampant heard mentality going around.

  12. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Brent Hugh wrote:

    > Any advice on what the magical words are to get the police to take a road rage incident like this
    > seriously? "Deliberately tried to run me over with his vehicle" made no impression at all.

    This newsletter:

    http://www.westernwheelers.org/main/pdf/2003/FT2003_04_s.pdf

    hasn an article about the handling of a road rage incident that happened last June, where a driver
    crossed over the center line to try to run down several oncoming cyclists during the Sequoia
    Century. Look for the title: "ROAD RAGE ON WEST ALPINE". The end result is less than satisfying.

  13. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > : Don't make the mistake of using a French flag; that, for some reason, brings
    out the sadist in
    > : just about anyone in a pickup.

    > do you honestly think most americans know what the french
    flag looks like?

    Probably not the ones you need to worry about...

    Matt O.

  14. On 1 Apr 2003 17:34:46 -0800, [email protected] (Brent Hugh) said:

    >St. Louis-area cycling advocate Martin Pion reports that the Michael
    >W. Wamble, the bus driver who ran over cycling advocate Susie Stephens last year as she crossed the
    > street in a St. Louis crosswalk, pleaded guilty and was fined $500.

    Another mere slap on the wrist - courtesy of the hug-a-thug "justice" system.

    >Is it just me, or are the idiots out en masse this Spring?

    What the hell is wrong with people nowadays? Who are the idiots bribing in order to get a
    driver's license?

    --

    *** My posts get canceled, and I repost 'em! *** *** It's called free speech - live with it ***

    I think. Therefore, I am not a conservative! ------ http://www.todayslastword.org -------

    They don't call Saddam's army the "Republican Guard" for nothing!

  15. On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 00:09:27 -0500, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> said:

    >The only way to survive is to wrap yourself, literally, in an American flag.

    Or toss a hammer through the car window of the next Nazi who tries to run you off the road. That's a
    lesson they'll understand.

    --

    *** My posts get canceled, and I repost 'em! *** *** It's called free speech - live with it ***

    I think. Therefore, I am not a conservative! ------ http://www.todayslastword.org -------

    They don't call Saddam's army the "Republican Guard" for nothing!

  16. On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 21:45:43 -0900, [email protected] (Dennis
    P. Harris) said:

    >idiots like this should *always* have their license number reported to the cops ASAP, so that the
    >license number gets put in their system.

    Ain't gonna do much good in a place like Campbell County, KY, where these idiots are sleeping with
    politicians.

    --

    *** My posts get canceled, and I repost 'em! *** *** It's called free speech - live with it ***

    I think. Therefore, I am not a conservative! ------ http://www.todayslastword.org -------

    They don't call Saddam's army the "Republican Guard" for nothing!

  17. Baltobernie

    Baltobernie Guest

    > That is good advice. I did call 911 immediately and they did take the license number (I got a good
    > look at the license plate, because the driver's first stupid maneuver was unexpectedly jamming on
    > the brakes mid-block, giving me an unexpected close-up view of the rear of his truck.)
    >
    > (BTW, the idiot 911 operator kept asking, "Assualt? How was it assault? You're not even hurt!" She
    > couldn't understand how having an automobile driven at a person, deliberately and with clear
    > intent to hurt or kill, could possibly be called "assault".)
    >
    > So I did "report" the incident, but I don't know how much good it did, because the police didn't
    > want to come and look at the evidence or take a statement. Despite the fact that I had been
    > assaulted with a deadly weapon. They were "short on manpower".

    Every state is different, and I paid $1000 to learn how NOT to respond to this type of provocation
    in Maryland. Two weeks before an idiot tried to run me off the road, a cyclist was killed in the
    area by a twelve-year-old kid driving his drunk father home. I competed with this woman in local
    triathlons. I took my revenge on the van driver by kicking out his headlight. That got me an
    afternoon in jail, and a new paint job for the owner. Also found out that you can't swear out a
    "counter-complaint"; in other words, the first person to the police generally wins. You would think
    that "assault with a motor vehicle" would trump "destruction of private property", but it doesn't
    work that way.

    Both the arresting officers and the "commissioner" (aka "magistrate" in PA, "justice of the peace"
    elsewhere) told me to let them handle this sort of situation. So now I carry a shorty pencil and a
    piece of paper in my jersey.

    What you must do in this situation is call the police and INSIST that they transport you to the
    nearest commissioner, etc. Talk to a competent attorney or a cop in your county/city, and find out
    BEFOREHAND the proper way to deal with this.

    Bernie

    ps This is one area where many local cycling clubs fail to provide a valuable service.

  18. On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 16:40:36 -0400, "baltobernie" <[email protected]> said:

    >What you must do in this situation is call the police and INSIST that they transport you to the
    >nearest commissioner, etc.

    Better yet, throw a hammer through the idiot's window.

    --

    *** My posts get canceled, and I repost 'em! *** *** It's called free speech - live with it ***

    I think. Therefore, I am not a conservative! ------ http://www.todayslastword.org -------

    They don't call Saddam's army the "Republican Guard" for nothing!

  19. Nicholas

    Nicholas Guest

    [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Yesterday as I was riding home, I encountered a wrong way Willy riding and Wilma riding MTBs.
    >
    > The fellow seemed to think there was nothing wrong with it, pointed out that no cars were coming.
    >
    > I pointed out that it was lucky no cars were coming, that they had no business on my side of the
    > road and that they were rather vulnerable to the cars parked alongside the road because the cars
    > looked behind them rather than in front of them to see if they could pull out.
    >
    > At this point they decided it was best to ride on the correct side but I think it was mostly to
    > get rid of me.
    >
    > jon isaacs

    I'm glad these individuals moved to the proper side of the road.

    On only one occasion have I made a deliberate attempt to address a bicycle user who is on the wrong
    side of the road. Knowing that the comment I was about make could be interpreted as an affront or an
    annoyance, I presented the most calm statement: "Pardon me; you need to be on the other side of the
    road." Not a request, nor a command.

    Sarcastic, "Thanks for the tip," was the reply, and he continued on his way.

    (ranting) Don't these people know that other people's safety is dependent on everyone following the
    rules?!? Self absorbed, in ignorance. (end of rant)

    So, what might be a better way to address the errant bicycle user??

    Short of giving a driving lesson: "Motor vehicles use this road, too. Please ride on the same side
    as the rest of traffic."

    "Do you drive a car? ...Then you know the importance of riding on the proper side of the street."

    I was thinking of printing up yellow business cards with simply: EFFECTIVE CYCLING, John Forrester.
    Handing one to the person, and saying, "Wrong side of the road. Look into it."

    Is there any way to open these people's eyes, to an immediate, if minimal, improvement in safety?

    Thanks, Nicholas

  20. >Is there any way to open these people's eyes, to an immediate, if minimal, improvement in safety?

    Not unlesss you either know them personally or want to join your local PD, IMHO. In theory a person
    operating a vehicle is expected to do so in accordance with their local laws, but there appear to be
    many riders who either A) don't know that these laws exist or that they apply, B) don't care, since
    they are rarely enforced (at least they aren't where I live), or C) were misinformed at some point
    as to correct practice.

    If I tried to raise riders' awareness obout A that would be good, but I don't run a traffic school.
    In the case of C it amounts to an exercise in deprogramming. And rhe Bs are on their own.

    My advice is not to worry about it, if they ride enough they may well figure it out eventually, or
    if they're really lucky they'll get a damn traffic ticket, which they richly deserve.

    the Texas Elvis"------------------