Bus lane rash

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Bob, May 22, 2003.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Been lurking for a while but James' post prompted me to come out. It's a long one, so settle down
    and get comfy!

    Started cycling into work a month ago and have had a few close shaves, but I've been good...namely
    stopping at red lights, not cutting up buses etc.

    With this in mind I pulled up behind a Routemaster bus yesterday (in a bus lane and not near a stop)
    at some traffic lights on the Edgware Road close to Paddington. I could have got up the inside of
    the bus but I thought no, he's gonna turn left for the station and I'll just p**s him off if I do.
    So I stayed behind the bus in full view of the driver.

    I've been using straps on the pedals so I was holding on to the adjacent long run of railings for
    balance and to give me some speed away from the lights rather than take one foot out and stand over
    the bike. Ok, fine, no problem so far until...

    Woman decides to get off bus. She looks towards the front and sees the long run of railings, turns,
    looks behind me and sees a shorter run and steps off. As I lift my hand off to let her pass I put my
    hand out to steady myself against the back grab rail of the bus...just as the lights change and bus
    moves. I know, I should've taken my foot out!

    Hand finds mid air and rest of body follows. I can only liken it to Mrs Doyle falling off the window
    sill in the Father Ted TV programme. Panic then sets in as there's a lot of traffic behind me (and
    another cyclist) and I start to imagine being run over! Woman walks off muttering sorry, cyclist
    behind gives me a funny look and nearest motorist is revving his engine to get past. Thanks people.

    I move forward where I can check the bike out for damage and to get the heck out of the way. Bus
    lanes have that really fine red tarmac that gives excellent grip and excellent skin damage! My
    kneecap was completely grazed (believe me that's a big area!), cut on thigh and sore ribs where I
    hit the handlebars. So my list of things to be wary of when cycling in London just got bigger, Black
    Taxi drivers, 4WD vehicle drivers, Bus drivers, white van man...the two new additions for today are
    Routemaster passengers and Bus Lane surfaces, they cause a nasty rash! Thanks to my padded cycling
    mitts my hands were not damaged at all, surely a must for city riding.

    After checking the bike over (just the front mudguard hanging off) I discovered my Cateye computer
    was missing. As I walked back down the footpath with blood running down my leg and congealing in my
    shoe I saw it lying where I'd come off, right in the middle of the lane. No matter how good or bad
    you think those Cateye's are, they can't take a pounding from buses, cars and vans! Total wreck. I
    think I may be able to save the battery!

    What was nice though was one of the staff from the nearby Starbucks was outside having a ciggie or
    eyeing up the passing ladies. He came over to me and asked me about four times if I was okay. Thanks
    mate, there are a few decent people around!

    My boss (ever the comedian) has now put the story round that I was hanging onto the back off the bus
    trying to break my speed record of 43.7mph (never been that fast) when my hand slipped and I fell!
    You gotta laugh!

    Wonder if I should invest in trousers or kneepads lol!

    Happy cycling

    Bob.

    remove nospam to reply.

    Tags:

  2. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    Bob wrote:

    > Thanks to my padded cycling mitts my hands were not damaged at all, surely a must for city riding.

    You certainly speak the truth there. Hand injuries are the most annoying. The number of times I've
    been glad I've been wearing gloves... well, I've lost count! ;o)
    --
    -Alex

    ----------------------------------
    [email protected] www.westerleycycling.org.uk http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php
    ----------------------------------

  3. Alex Graham <[email protected]> writes:

    > You certainly speak the truth there. Hand injuries are the most annoying. The number of times I've
    > been glad I've been wearing gloves... well, I've lost count! ;o)

    More than ten, then?

    :)

    -dan

    --

    http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources

  4. Kirby James

    Kirby James Guest

    >I've been using straps on the pedals so I was holding on to the adjacent long run of railings
    >for balance

    My sympathies. Like you I'm in the habit of holding onto railing, lamp posts etc. to save
    unclipping but ..

    .. in Portsmouth I stopped at some traffic lights and leant on one of those
    illuminated bollards. What I didn't realise was that they are squishy .. the
    thing collapsed under my weight and I was left sprawing on top of the thing.
    At the same time a bus pulled up alongside and the passengers were bemused
    by the sight of this idot trying to untaggle him self from bollard and bike.

    Mind you they are relativley soft - I would recommned crashing into them in preference to most other
    things by the road (mind you .. make sure you pick a squishy one).

    Kirby

  5. Bob wrote:

    > So my list of things to be wary of when cycling in London just got bigger, Black Taxi drivers, 4WD
    > vehicle drivers, Bus drivers, white van man...the two new additions for today are Routemaster
    > passengers and Bus Lane surfaces, they cause a nasty rash!

    "I agree" - William the Concurrer.

    There is a Special Device fitted to all Routemasters which pumps Stupidity-Enhancing Drugs into the
    interior. How else can we explain the fact that whenever a turkey^H^H^H^H^H^H customer is alighting,
    they will *always* look forwards for approaching traffic? The bloke who did that yesterday in the
    middle of the three-lanes-abreast approach to the newish Shoreditch one-way system got something of
    a surprise when I damn nearly removed his [email protected] toes. I hate them. They are scum. [Continued: "The
    Collected Wit And Wisdom Of Steve Firth"]

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  6. Congokid

    Congokid Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Bob <[email protected]> writes

    >So my list of things to be wary of when cycling in London just got bigger, Black Taxi drivers, 4WD
    >vehicle drivers, Bus drivers, white van man

    I think Royal Mail van drivers are marginally worse than taxi drivers.

    >surfaces, they cause a nasty rash! Thanks to my padded cycling mitts my hands were not damaged at
    >all, surely a must for city riding.

    I need mine just to keep my hands from going numb. Does anyone know of padded mitts with extra thick
    palms? I used to have a pair with fat gel-filled palms, by Trek I think, and more than UKP20 several
    years back, but I lost them and nothing since seems to offer half as much protection.

    --
    congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com

  7. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Fri, 23 May 2003 19:51:08 +0100, congokid <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I need mine just to keep my hands from going numb. Does anyone know of padded mitts with extra
    >thick palms? I used to have a pair with fat gel-filled palms, by Trek I think, and more than UKP20
    >several years back, but I lost them and nothing since seems to offer half as much protection.

    I lost a pair of Trek padded mits at Brighton's kite festival a couple of years ago. I was doing my
    good deed for the decade and helping to put away the scaffolding that held the PA system. As I'd
    probably trashed my gloves in doing so I was too worried.

    However, the following day, I popped along to my not particularly local Trek bike shop and bout
    myself another similar pair of gloves. The pattern of the gel inserts was different from the pair
    I'd lost and it took me a few rides to get used to the slightly different hand position.

    Nevertheless, as I suffer from painful thumb joints when I cycle without padded gloves (or when i
    used to play soccer or in my skiing days), I think the £20.00 I spent was well worth it.

    Any soccer fan might have heard about the latest Beckham break. It was that same joint of both hands
    that caused my discomfort.

    James

  8. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Fri, 23 May 2003 10:27:25 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"I agree" - William the Concurrer.

    Do we have to read this? :)

    Anyway, to the best of my knowledge, William only ever won one proper battle. As a child, I had
    conkers far better than Bills!

    James

  9. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

  10. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On 24 May 2003 18:35:37 GMT, [email protected] (SabineUK) wrote:

    >James Hodson [email protected] said:
    >

    >>>"I agree" - William the Concurrer.

    Is also a poem by, umm, Roger Thingy, scouse bloke.

    >>Do we have to read this? :)
    >>
    >>Anyway, to the best of my knowledge, William only ever won one proper battle. As a child, I had
    >>conkers far better than Bills!
    >
    >I always thought he was a chiropodist - William the Corncurer

    I was in the Hastings area last week and saw a cement mixer "William The Concreter"

    Tim

  11. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 24 May 2003 19:21:40 +0100, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >As a child, I had conkers far better than Bills!

    Don't bet on it - I've seent he conker trees in Normandy and they are beeeeg.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  12. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Wed, 28 May 2003 00:29:13 +0100, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Roger Thingy, scouse bloke.

    McGough? He of "Lily the Pink?"

    http://www.rogermcgough.org.uk/

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  13. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 24 May 2003 19:18:19 +0100, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Nevertheless, as I suffer from painful thumb joints when I cycle without padded gloves

    Clearly riding one of those funny uprighty things.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  14. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 20:01:33 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat, 24 May 2003 19:18:19 +0100, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Nevertheless, as I suffer from painful thumb joints when I cycle without padded gloves
    >
    >Clearly riding one of those funny uprighty things.

    Yes, Guy, it's called a bicycle.

    Actually, my thumb joints have always pained me whever I do any sort of gripping with my hands:
    skiing was one of the worst. I think it must be the vibration.

    James

  15. Guy Chapman

    Guy Chapman Guest

    James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > >>Nevertheless, as I suffer from painful thumb joints when I cycle without padded gloves

    > >Clearly riding one of those funny uprighty things.

    > Yes, Guy, it's called a bicycle.

    Mine's called a bicycle, too, y'know. Except by those Luddites at the UCI.

    Guy