bus or bike?

davek

Guest
Had to use public transport to get to work today. Now I remember at
least one of the reasons I usually cycle - it normally takes me ten
minutes tops to get from Victoria to Ken High St. Today it took just
under an hour - and it would have taken longer if I hadn't walked part
of the way (in fact, it would have been quicker for me to walk all the
way from Victoria in the first place).

The extended journey time was largely down to the Circle line being out
of action, but even on a good day it has been known to take more than
half an hour.

Those articles about how horrible it is to cycle in London tend to
overlook how equally horrible it is to use public transport.

d.

On 29 Jul 2005 05:03:34 -0700, "davek" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Had to use public transport to get to work today. Now I remember at
>least one of the reasons I usually cycle - it normally takes me ten
>minutes tops to get from Victoria to Ken High St. Today it took just
>under an hour - and it would have taken longer if I hadn't walked part
>of the way (in fact, it would have been quicker for me to walk all the
>way from Victoria in the first place).
>
>The extended journey time was largely down to the Circle line being out
>of action, but even on a good day it has been known to take more than
>half an hour.
>
>Those articles about how horrible it is to cycle in London tend to
>overlook how equally horrible it is to use public transport.

Wouldn't that journey have been quicker by bus than underground - even if the
Underground had been running normally?

It would definitely have been quicker walking. I can get from Victoria to the
other side of Shepherd's Bush Green in an hour.

Steven wrote:
> Wouldn't that journey have been quicker by bus than underground - even if the
> Underground had been running normally?

It's only a few stops on the Circle line, so in theory should be no
more than about 15 minutes door to door. In theory...

The 52 bus is direct, but you often have to wait 20 minutes for one to
show up.

> It would definitely have been quicker walking. I can get from Victoria to the
> other side of Shepherd's Bush Green in an hour.

I've walked it before and it takes about 45 minutes at a leisurely
stroll. It would definitely have been quicker to walk today.

Cycling is by far the fastest - and most pleasant - way to complete
that particular journey.

d.

davek wrote:

> Those articles about how horrible it is to cycle in London tend to
> overlook how equally horrible it is to use public transport.

Point of information, Mr. Chairman. However horrible cycling in London may
be, using public transport is /exactly/ much MUCH worse.

If you want a bicycle, buy a bicycle. If you want something that
folds, buy a deckchair.

"davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Steven wrote:
>> Wouldn't that journey have been quicker by bus than underground - even if
>> the
>> Underground had been running normally?

> It's only a few stops on the Circle line, so in theory should be no
> more than about 15 minutes door to door. In theory...
>
> The 52 bus is direct, but you often have to wait 20 minutes for one to
> show up.
>
>> It would definitely have been quicker walking. I can get from Victoria to
>> the
>> other side of Shepherd's Bush Green in an hour.

> I've walked it before and it takes about 45 minutes at a leisurely
> stroll. It would definitely have been quicker to walk today.
>
> Cycling is by far the fastest - and most pleasant - way to complete
> that particular journey.

roller blades? pogo stick? Come on, there's tons of different ways of
getting about.

elyob wrote:
> roller blades? pogo stick? Come on, there's tons of different ways of
> getting about.

But are they faster or more pleasant than cycling?

(I must admit the thought of pogoing to work has its appeal.)

d.

davek wrote:
> (I must admit the thought of pogoing to work has its appeal.)

You could probably get sponsored for that!

Jon