Bush: Congestion Fees (Timed toll roads)

Bob Dole

Guest
Bush, in an interesting reversal for a Texas oilman who denies the
threat of global warming, is proposing money in the budget aimed at
helping localities set up congestion fees:

<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/
SB117064116425197878-3gh193OAWWXI884HsKVhoV3M78U_20070307.html?
mod=tff_main_tff_top>

This is in the "free" part of the Wall Street Journal website.

Basically, these would be toll roads in which the pricing is variable
by time.

There's reference in the article to London's experience with this sort
of thing, and perhaps some of our UK brethren here would care to
comment on any impact on bicycling in the center of London.

Bob

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 11:00:51 -0800, Bob Dole wrote:

> Bush, in an interesting reversal for a Texas oilman who denies the
> threat of global warming, is proposing money in the budget aimed at
> helping localities set up congestion fees:
>
> <http://online.wsj.com/public/article/
> SB117064116425197878-3gh193OAWWXI884HsKVhoV3M78U_20070307.html?
> mod=tff_main_tff_top>
>
> This is in the "free" part of the Wall Street Journal website.
>
> Basically, these would be toll roads in which the pricing is variable
> by time.
>
> There's reference in the article to London's experience with this sort
> of thing, and perhaps some of our UK brethren here would care to
> comment on any impact on bicycling in the center of London.

Reversal? Yeah, right. This is about highlighting any alternative to
fuel taxes, which are the last thing the oil industry wants.

Matt O.