Bush falls on bike ride

oberlaenderm

May 31, 2003
Bush falls on bike ride
President suffers minor scrapes during jaunt on his ranch
From Dana Bash
CNN Washington Bureau
Saturday, May 22, 2004

CRAWFORD, Texas (CNN) -- President Bush fell off his bicycle Saturday while riding on his ranch, according to White House spokesman Trent Duffy.

Bush, who was accompanied on his bike ride by his doctor, Richard Tubb, a military agent and a member of the Secret Service, fell about 16 miles into a 17-mile ride.

Bush suffered minor abrasions to his chin, upper lip, nose, right hand and both knees, but was able to ride back home, Duffy said.

Tubb treated the president at the scene. Bush was wearing a helmet and a mouth guard when he fell, Duffy said.

-- I got the above from CNN.com. My question is this: is it a good sign that our president is out cycling? Or is the fact that the leader of the free world falls cycling (note they didn't say why) on a short ride an indication of his abilities to balance in general? Wonder if him going out on a bike would mean that he'd be in favor of more protection for cyclists?

And who of you out there wears a mouth guard when riding? What is that exactly? Doubt most of us ride with our own personal doctor in attendance, unless that person happens to be our best friend and riding buddy anyway. . .

Just food for thought. Would love to hear your input.

Michaela

Originally posted by oberlaenderm
Bush falls on bike ride
From Dana Bash
CNN Washington Bureau
Saturday, May 22, 2004

CRAWFORD, Texas (CNN) -- President Bush fell off his bicycle Saturday while riding on his ranch, according to White House spokesman Trent Duffy.

Bush, who was accompanied on his bike ride by his doctor, Richard Tubb, a military agent and a member of the Secret Service, fell about 16 miles into a 17-mile ride.

Bush suffered minor abrasions to his chin, upper lip, nose, right hand and both knees, but was able to ride back home, Duffy said.

Tubb treated the president at the scene. Bush was wearing a helmet and a mouth guard when he fell, Duffy said.

-- I got the above from CNN.com. My question is this: is it a good sign that our president is out cycling? Or is the fact that the leader of the free world falls cycling (note they didn't say why) on a short ride an indication of his abilities to balance in general? Wonder if him going out on a bike would mean that he'd be in favor of more protection for cyclists?

And who of you out there wears a mouth guard when riding? What is that exactly? Doubt most of us ride with our own personal doctor in attendance, unless that person happens to be our best friend and riding buddy anyway. . .

Michaela

Kerry fell on his 8,000 road bike...big deal!

Bush falls on bike ride
From Dana Bash
CNN Washington Bureau
Saturday, May 22, 2004

CRAWFORD, Texas (CNN) --

Michaela

The leader of the free world crashed his bike? I wasnt aware that the French president rode a boke!

$8,000? Really? That's a very good and/or very overpriced bike. What kind of bike does he ride?

Thanks for the input. But still, what the hey is a mouth guard in relation to cycling? Boxing, I can understand.

Bush falls on bike ride
From Dana Bash
CNN Washington Bureau
Saturday, May 22, 2004

Michaela

Dubya needs to wear a mouth guard all the time. That would prevent him from sticking his feet in his mouth all the time.

Originally posted by dickrocketjones
Dubya needs to wear a mouth guard all the time. That would prevent him from sticking his feet in his mouth all the time.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Nice :D

Originally posted by keydates
$8,000? Really? That's a very good and/or very overpriced bike. What kind of bike does he ride?

I am curious as well...Heard it on the radio and read it but neither piece bothered to mention what kind it was. My guess would be a Merlin....

Bush falls on bike ride
From Dana Bash
CNN Washington Bureau
Saturday, May 22, 2004

Michaela

Bush never had any balance in anything.
By the way, here is his not-bruised-enough face.

Uuh, some nice abrasions there! Thanks for attaching the pix. Did you notice he literally has blood on his hand now? Hmmm. . .

Originally posted by keydates
I wonder if this thread would better fit the Bloody Soapbox area?
Possibly. Although the similar thread (which I had not seen when I made my post) noted as one of the first responses to this thread was also part of the Bike Cafe forum. If you want to check it out, then here is the address again:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t124565.html

Actually, I thought I'd been relatively kind to our president. If I said what I think without editing, then it would definitely be fodder for the bloody soapbox. : ) As it is, I mostly wanted to hear other people's take on the subject.

Before the advent of television, I don't think too many news media sources would have felt compelled to note such a minor incident. But now, since the abrasions were evident on TV and in photos everywhere, even the most minor nonsense makes the news. It is just a curious sign of the times, I guess.

But no one has replied with any information about how Bush feels about cycling on a broader level, i.e., maybe cycling to work would be useful in order to conserve energy, cure the obesity epidemic, etc. So, if you have any concrete information on that, I'd still be interested to read it.

Happy and safe cycling on Memorial Day weekend!