Bush or Kerry or ???

Originally posted by Chaim
We did not start the war.

War has ups and downs. You can not win all the time. You need to support the people that are in charge and hope for long term win.

If somebody hides in a cave in the mountains, its hard to find him. It is as simple as that. Do you blam Bush for this?

Since we are at war, it cost money! What can we do?
Democrats have more money than republicans? Clinton started the downturn...let not forget!

We need to understand the strategy, long term goals, etc. and Bush has a vision. Its hard and takes time. Years.

Should we sit and do nothing? Hide? Negotiate with terorists? Criminals?

and about the UN...do you realy think the UN can do enything at was times? They can hardly police regions during peace times.
The the UN is not currupt?

quote posted by Chaim
Quote “We did not start the war.
War has ups and downs. You cannot win all the time. You need to support the people that are in charge and hope for long term win.
If somebody hides in a cave in the mountains, its hard to find him. It is as simple as that. Do you blam Bush for this?
Since we are at war, it cost money! What can we do?
Democrats have more money than republicans? Clinton started the downturn...let not forget!
We need to understand the strategy, long term goals, etc. and Bush has a vision. Its hard and takes time. Years.
Should we sit and do nothing? Hide? Negotiate with terorists? Criminals?
and about the UN...do you realy think the UN can do enything at was times? They can hardly police regions during peace times.
The the UN is not currupt?”
end quote

It is my recollection that the USA invaded Iraq on 17th March 2003.
The invasion of Iraq was premised, by the Bush government, on the basis that Hussein had biological weapons (anthrax, smallpox - quantities of which have never been found), WMD’s (none of which have been found) and that Hussein supported
and help instigate 11th Sept 2001 (no evidence of which has ever been found).
America invaded Iraq and thus started the current war.

You also intertwine two separate issues in to your post above.
You include Osama Bin Laden and Hussein in your post.
Let me re-iterate it again : Hussein Ba’ath regime was a secular regime and had no interest or connection to Bin Ladens.
BinLaden, in return, viewed Hussein’s regime as he does the Bush regime : Godless and anti-Islamic.
BinLaden accused Hussein of being “a bad muslim” - which to our ears may seem to be mild criticism but in the muslim world would be considered to be the worst possible criticism from one muslim to another muslim.

As I have stated before, I have no difficulty with the USA pursuing the Al Quaeda.
However, by starting the illegal war in Iraq, it is my belief that the USA have diverted valuable attention and resources away from what was a legitimate manhunt - in to an illegal war.
The Bush government, instead of avenging those poor peoples death in the Trade Center, instead fixated upon an Iraqi regime which, although terrible, had nothing whatsoever got to do with Sept 11th.

You blame Clinton for the economic downturn in your country.
The statistics show that the downturn took effect under the Bush government.
Under the Democrat government of Bill Clinton, the USA enjoyed great economic
performances.
Take the Dow Jones average for the period 1996-2000.
The Dow Jones average increased substantially, year on year, during the Democrat
period in government.

Taking the entire Dow Jones, the overall value of the price index was as follows :
1996 up 26.01%
1997 up 22.64%
1998 up 16.10%
1999 up 25.22%
2000 down 6.81%
Thus, the values for pensions, invested in stocks and shares increased dramatically in the first three years of the second Clinton terms.
Compare and contrast this to the Dow Jones performance during this Bush government.
2001 down 7.10%
2002 down 16.76%
2003 down 7.31%
The gains in terms of real wealth made during the Clinton era, were completely wiped out under the stewardship of George W.Bush’s government.

Statistics from Econstats show just how poorly the Bush Government has performed in creating jobs in the US economy since assuming office.

In 1992 when Bill Clinton became president, he inherited an unemployment rate of 8.1% from the previous Bush government and he also inherited a substantial current budget deficit of $275 billion.
By 1996, this rate of unemployment had dropped to 5.5%, and the Clinton government had managed to clear the budget deficit $275 billion.
The average unemployment rate between 1996-2000 dropped to 3.5%.(full employment in the USA is regarded as 3% !!!!!!!!!!!).
And the Clinton government created a budget surplus $250 billion, on leaving office.

Bush enters office.
By the end of 2000, unemployment had jumped to 4.2% - by the end of 2001 unemployment was up to 5.4%, by the end of 2002 unemployment was up to 6%.
In 2003, unemployment averaged 6.1%.
To March 2004, unemployment was at 6.1%.
Employment and jobs created under the Clinton administration has been steadily eroded by the Bush goverment and it has also created the largest budget deficit in history - $500 billion.

Finally, one salient point - you state in a reply to Beels, that Hussein invaded Kuwait.
Hussein did indeed invade Kuwait in 1991.
It is worth considering that up to 1948, the territory known now as Kuwait, was the 14th Province of Iraq !
In 1948, the British and US governments annexed this part of Iraq, installed a royal family and created a country called Kuwait.
British Petroleum and Exxon were given a preferential deal and oil rights and receive
(to this day) a commission payment for every gallon of oil sourced from Kuwait.
Hussein justified his invasion of Iraq on the basis that he wished to reclaim that sovereign territory.
His claim has some justification - although invading a country is not the way to go about things - a lesson that the USA has failed to heed in the last 15 months.

Limerickman, your username is appropriate for I find you most humorous in an nonsensical way... So you revoked your policy did you..That’s impressive..did you have a vote? Funny, how you in particular, find my postings to be "disingenuous." you have used that word so many times I can't help but wonder if your thumb got stuck on the "d" page in your thesaurus...

You are condescending and you call me disingenuous. You constantly query me for personal information which I freely give you yet I am disingenuous. You hide behind a shroud of secrecy when asked who do you work for and what do you do since you say you are with the media...yet you call me disingenuous. You even question my level of education based on your perception of my ineptness to assimilate information? Ah..you thumbed back to the "a" page... Hahahah...But to put your mind at ease yes, I have a degree...Bachelor of Science in Information Systems, 3 years ago.

I submit that not only are YOU disingenuous you have an enormous ego and you are playing to some imaginary audience of adoring "Limerickman" fans...dream on...

Anyway, your figures are a little distorted old man...Unemployment is at 5.6% and falling...higher than I would like but still not 6%..

I really grow tired of this but I will entertain you one last time.

1. The Clinton to Bush era comparison, 9/11. You just don't get it..never will. Read excerpts below discounting your "facts" from "independent sources"

2. Assimilate information is what I do for a living...Although it is not "financial" information. BTW, I don't spend very long responding to posts as you say..I can type 75 wpm and yes my "genetically altered, pavlovian Cro-Magnon brain can "assimilate" information and it can also determine what is fact and what is conjecture!

3. You take comments out of context like the data that you collect and spew here. I clearly stated that I could care less about how other people live their existence. Wrong again...

4. I can disagree from my fellow citizens. please tell me you don't disagree with any of yours from time to time..(another frivolous comment) Additionally, I am not defensive..I'm just not going to take any of your twisted truths and condescending attacks. For example you just jumped on "chaim" why? I would assume you have nothing else to do.. I suppose you will say that he is defensive, Deliberately misleading and Disingenuous..There you go with those "d" words again...

5. I post my replies only as long as you are on here trolling around looking for a "debate" and unleashing your rhetoric. I came across the website for good cycling info and have received it..but not from you I might add. You probably come here because you "can't hang" elsewhere... You call me "defensive" only because I refuse to let you have your way...It is you who are on the defense!

6. As far as my "anecdotal" info I offered up..Sorry I guess I don't travel in elite circles...$120.00 for melted cheese, fruit, bread and melted chocolate seems pricey to me.. After all I'm just a middleclass citizen..You know the sector that the DEMS keep saying they are ready to rush in and save the day for??? I live in a meager 3,423 sqft home. I'm sure modest compared to your dwelling...

7. Saran Gas...Gee I wonder where that came from...Oh, I know you will pull something your sources and somehow say, the CIA planted it...

So, point your finger at me..thats ok... I can take it. My blood pressure isn't rising. I'm having a great time here...But I can't help but feel that you are one of those 8.8% without employment for you certainly devote a lot of time with this thread...

By the way, just a few headlines for you. I'm not going to waste my time digging up more facts...Your facts as you call them all come from a media source or another and we could go back and forth all day and nothing would ever be solved...

oh, what's this???
Friday May 7, 02:30 PM
EU Unemployment Rate Stays At 8.8%????

May 13th 2004
From The Economist print edition “America's economic recovery became less “jobless”. In April non-farm payrolls grew by a higher-than-expected 288,000. In addition, the figures for earlier months were revised upward. New non-farm jobs in March, originally estimated at 308,000, were revised to 337,000. The figure for February grew by 83,000, nearly twice the original estimate. The unemployment rate fell from 5.7% in March to 5.6% in April”.

IRISH TIMES: “US invested over twice as much in Ireland as in China” “Despite Washington's war-related frustrations with Europe, corporate America pumped over $87 billion in foreign direct investment into Europe in 2003, a jump of 30.5 per cent over 2002.” Your welcome...I bet you like this one...

What is not in dispute is the fact that the stock market started trending downward in mid 2000. Given the availability of this data, one must wonder why you claim that the stock market started trending downward after G.W.B.

Economists Say Recession Started in 2000 By Nell Henderson
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, January 22, 2004; 1:34 PM “The last recession may have started in the last months of the Clinton administration rather than at the beginning of the Bush administration.”

WASHINGTON — "The number of Americans filing initial claims for jobless aid dropped sharply last week to the lowest in more than three years, the government said on Thursday in a further sign of a reviving employment market. The Labor Department's four-week moving average of new claims, which irons out weekly fluctuations, declined 3,250 last week to 336,750 - the lowest since 335,750 in the week of Nov. 25, 2000. "

U.S. Department of Labor: “Nonfarm payroll employment increased by 288,000 in April, and the unemployment rate was about unchanged at 5.6 percent, the Bureau of Labor Statistics of the U.S. Department of Labor reported today. The April in-crease in payroll employment follows a gain of 337,000 in March, and job growth again was widespread. In April, employment rose substantially in several service-providing industries, construction continued to add jobs, and there was a noteworthy job gain in durable goods manufacturing."

Associated Press WASHINGTON -- "The number of people filing new claims for unemployment benefits dropped last week to the lowest level in more than three years, a promising sign that companies feel better about the economy's prospects and are less inclined to get rid of workers. The Labor Department reported Thursday that new applications filed for jobless claims declined by a seasonally adjusted 14,000 to 328,000 for the week ending April 3. That marked the lowest level since Jan. 13, 2001 -- the week before President Bush's inauguration."

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - "U.S. payrolls grew at the fastest pace in nearly four years in March, the government said Friday, in a report that soared past Wall Street forecasts and could play a pivotal role in Fed policy and the presidential election. "

BUSINESS | May 18, 2004
Dollar Down Vs Yen, But Up Vs Euro
By REUTERS (Reuters) News

Stone and McCarthy:
“On the fundamental side, it's a pretty positive backdrop here," said Joe Liro, equity strategist at Stone & McCarthy. "We have a solid economy, a Fed that still shows signs of being relatively patient ... and you've got just absolutely great earnings numbers."

Originally posted by zapper
Limerickman, your username is appropriate for I find you most humorous in an nonsensical way... So you revoked your policy did you..That’s impressive..did you have a vote? Funny, how you in particular, find my postings to be "disingenuous." you have used that word so many times I can't help but wonder if your thumb got stuck on the "d" page in your thesaurus...

You are condescending and you call me disingenuous. You constantly query me for personal information which I freely give you yet I am disingenuous. You hide behind a shroud of secrecy when asked who do you work for and what do you do since you say you are with the media...yet you call me disingenuous. You even question my level of education based on your perception of my ineptness to assimilate information? Ah..you thumbed back to the "a" page... Hahahah...But to put your mind at ease yes, I have a degree...Bachelor of Science in Information Systems, 3 years ago.

Lim : The mature student route !
Enough said.

I submit that not only are YOU disingenuous you have an enormous ego and you are playing to some imaginary audience of adoring "Limerickman" fans...dream on...

Lim : no ego at play here, amigo.

Anyway, your figures are a little distorted old man...Unemployment is at 5.6% and falling...higher than I would like but still not 6%..

Lim : Econstats directly contradict your value 5.6%.
6.1% is the US unemployment figure according to your goverments statistics to March 2004.

I really grow tired of this but I will entertain you one last time.

Lim : tired, you must be - posting all these replies to people that
you don't give a damn about.

1. The Clinton to Bush era comparison, 9/11. You just don't get it..never will. Read excerpts below discounting your "facts" from "independent sources"

2. Assimilate information is what I do for a living...Although it is not "financial" information. BTW, I don't spend very long responding to posts as you say..I can type 75 wpm and yes my "genetically altered, pavlovian Cro-Magnon brain can "assimilate" information and it can also determine what is fact and what is conjecture!

3. You take comments out of context like the data that you collect and spew here. I clearly stated that I could care less about how other people live their existence. Wrong again...

4. I can disagree from my fellow citizens. please tell me you don't disagree with any of yours from time to time..(another frivolous comment) Additionally, I am not defensive..I'm just not going to take any of your twisted truths and condescending attacks. For example you just jumped on "chaim" why? I would assume you have nothing else to do.. I suppose you will say that he is defensive, Deliberately misleading and Disingenuous..There you go with those "d" words again...

Lim : I have plenty to do - but I also feel that it is important to
contest every piece of propoganda that you and your ilke
insist on.

5. I post my replies only as long as you are on here trolling around looking for a "debate" and unleashing your rhetoric. I came across the website for good cycling info and have received it..but not from you I might add. You probably come here because you "can't hang" elsewhere... You call me "defensive" only because I refuse to let you have your way...It is you who are on the defense!

Lim : Haven't sen any of your posts on other threads concerning cycling.
You claimed earlier that you actually appreciated my information on cycling, training etc.
Contradicting yourself again.

6. As far as my "anecdotal" info I offered up..Sorry I guess I don't travel in elite circles...$120.00 for melted cheese, fruit, bread and melted chocolate seems pricey to me.. After all I'm just a middleclass citizen..You know the sector that the DEMS keep saying they are ready to rush in and save the day for??? I live in a meager 3,423 sqft home. I'm sure modest compared to your dwelling...

Lim : your self aggrandisizing again.
Meager 3,423 sq foot home - do we really need to know this ?

7. Saran Gas...Gee I wonder where that came from...Oh, I know you will pull something your sources and somehow say, the CIA planted it...

So, point your finger at me..thats ok... I can take it. My blood pressure isn't rising. I'm having a great time here...But I can't help but feel that you are one of those 8.8% without employment for you certainly devote a lot of time with this thread...

Lim : Wrong again - putting labels on people - trying to categorise
them and put them in a box, eh ?
Gainfully employed : professionally qualified (did the degree
many years ago and went on to professional membership of
the accountancy profession : no need to be a mature student when you can assimilate information !).

By the way, just a few headlines for you. I'm not going to waste my time digging up more facts...Your facts as you call them all come from a media source or another and we could go back and forth all day and nothing would ever be solved...

oh, what's this???
Friday May 7, 02:30 PM
EU Unemployment Rate Stays At 8.8%????

Lim : France and Germany are going through some rough times.
You will see an increase in the unemployment % also because
10 new states have just joined the EU.
(This rate has been predicted to increase for some months).

May 13th 2004
From The Economist print edition “America's economic recovery became less “jobless”. In April non-farm payrolls grew by a higher-than-expected 288,000. In addition, the figures for earlier months were revised upward. New non-farm jobs in March, originally estimated at 308,000, were revised to 337,000. The figure for February grew by 83,000, nearly twice the original estimate. The unemployment rate fell from 5.7% in March to 5.6% in April”.

IRISH TIMES: “US invested over twice as much in Ireland as in China” “Despite Washington's war-related frustrations with Europe, corporate America pumped over $87 billion in foreign direct investment into Europe in 2003, a jump of 30.5 per cent over 2002.” Your welcome...I bet you like this one...

Lim : Indeed keep exporting those American jobs to markets where labour costs are cheaper, productivity is higher.

What is not in dispute is the fact that the stock market started trending downward in mid 2000. Given the availability of this data, one must wonder why you claim that the stock market started trending downward after G.W.B.

Economists Say Recession Started in 2000 By Nell Henderson
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, January 22, 2004; 1:34 PM “The last recession may have started in the last months of the Clinton administration rather than at the beginning of the Bush administration.”

WASHINGTON — "The number of Americans filing initial claims for jobless aid dropped sharply last week to the lowest in more than three years, the government said on Thursday in a further sign of a reviving employment market. The Labor Department's four-week moving average of new claims, which irons out weekly fluctuations, declined 3,250 last week to 336,750 - the lowest since 335,750 in the week of Nov. 25, 2000. "

U.S. Department of Labor: “Nonfarm payroll employment increased by 288,000 in April, and the unemployment rate was about unchanged at 5.6 percent, the Bureau of Labor Statistics of the U.S. Department of Labor reported today. The April in-crease in payroll employment follows a gain of 337,000 in March, and job growth again was widespread. In April, employment rose substantially in several service-providing industries, construction continued to add jobs, and there was a noteworthy job gain in durable goods manufacturing."

Associated Press WASHINGTON -- "The number of people filing new claims for unemployment benefits dropped last week to the lowest level in more than three years, a promising sign that companies feel better about the economy's prospects and are less inclined to get rid of workers. The Labor Department reported Thursday that new applications filed for jobless claims declined by a seasonally adjusted 14,000 to 328,000 for the week ending April 3. That marked the lowest level since Jan. 13, 2001 -- the week before President Bush's inauguration."

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - "U.S. payrolls grew at the fastest pace in nearly four years in March, the government said Friday, in a report that soared past Wall Street forecasts and could play a pivotal role in Fed policy and the presidential election. "

BUSINESS | May 18, 2004
Dollar Down Vs Yen, But Up Vs Euro
By REUTERS (Reuters) News

Stone and McCarthy:
“On the fundamental side, it's a pretty positive backdrop here," said Joe Liro, equity strategist at Stone & McCarthy. "We have a solid economy, a Fed that still shows signs of being relatively patient ... and you've got just absolutely great earnings numbers."

Limerickman,

On Online Forums I like to keep it short so people actually read…

You used the following words in one of your sentences:
“…in your country…”. Where are you from? Why do you use an International Cycling forum to bring down a US president?

I agree with “zapper” regarding your “numbers; Basic, wrong, supporting evidence.

The Bush/USA long term strategy is to fight every “entity”, that can be a country, a terrorist organization (by US definition), financial institutions that support US enemies, etc. that harm the US and the Western, modern world. This can be Syria, Iran, a US Company, a European Bank, etc. Not Libya anymore.

Numbers do not work with these king of arguments, instincts, do.

While there has now been a finding of a shell that contains sarin gas, that's not exactly the several hundred pounds that Bush and other supporters had been claiming Saddam had before the war started. Maybe more will come up, maybe not. Only time will tell.

Limerickman,

You attempt to attack my intellect by suggesting that because I obtained my degree later in life, that it is somehow inferior to yours? You must have received your degree so long ago that the United States was considered a "continent?"

This little ditty is an example of your geographical prowess taken from your lengthy post of 14-05-2004 @ 10:48am:

"In comparing France and/or Germany to the USA, you fail to think that you are comparing a continent (USA) to individual countries."

Concerning your unemployment data from some website...My data comes directly from the U.S. Dept of Labor! and my data is current and not two months old like yours.

You state France and Germany are going through rough times...Yes I suppose they are.. They are no longer getting kick-backs from SADAAM!!!! Further, OUR country has suffered from attacks that directly effected our major industries and we are funding the war on terror and as you admit we are sending jobs your way and yet OUR UNEMPLOYMENT IS ALMOST 1/2 of the EU??

Now more than ever, it is obvious that you are the embodiment of what you claim that I am...give it a rest. Hell, even the DEMS have given up on the Economy in their campaign for they know it is a non-issue.

It would be refreshing to see something new besides your quotes from online magazines that are outdated or the "illegal war" rhetoric...

I would like to get back to the subject of this thread. Kerry or Bush. So I would suggest that you have another vote and return to your "policy" of not replying directly to me, since it makes you look foolish. Making fun of the fact that I put myself through school...A mature student...That's your problem.. I have proven that it is never too late to learn.. You have lost the ability long ago...

Finally, giving you "the benefit of the doubt", I actually took a little time to look up your "data" and found it to be old, out of context, and full of half truths..

Kerry or Bush Limerickman that is the name of this thread...Show me some of your "data" that supports Kerry instead of your lame anti-Bush rhetoric!

Limerickman,

“…in your country…”. Where are you from? Why do you use an International Cycling forum to bring down a US president?

I agree with “zapper” regarding your “numbers; Basic, wrong, supporting evidence.

The Bush/USA long term strategy is to fight every “entity”, that can be a country, a terrorist organization (by US definition), financial institutions that support US enemies, etc. that harm the US and the Western, modern world. This can be Syria, Iran, a US Company, a European Bank, etc. Not Libya anymore.

He claims to be from Ireland but longs to be a U.S. citizen:D

Prediction...Watch for an initiative for a repeal of the Clinton era Gasoline tax and watch Kerry vote against it... or will he vote for it before he votes against it?:)

Limerickman,

I’m from Ireland.

The category within this thread is called Soapbox : and it is the one area where
subjects other than cycling can be discussed by people who happen to have an interest in cycling.

If my numbers are wrong, as you claim, I am only quoting the statistical information
provided by the US Government for it’s own economy (see Econstats).

The linkage between the Bush/USA policy is, I think, dangerous ground.
In terms of foreign policy, I believe that the Bush government foreign policy in Iraq
is not representative of the American people.
I believe that most Americans see the injustice of that policy and are opposed to it.
Bush has got it wrong - plain and simple.
Bush lied and he continues to lie to the American people and the entire world.
In getting it wrong, he has caused thousands of deaths in Iraq, thousands of dead/injured US soldiers and he has lost “the hearts and minds” of the majority of the Middle East, Europe etc.

The US definition of terrorist - as you point out - is what is at the heart of this entire discussion.
What constitutes a terrorist or terrorist organization ?
Hussein was a friend of the USA in the 1980’s : but in 2003 he was a terrorist.
Gaddafi was a terrorist in 1989 (Lockerbie) : but he is a friend in 2004.
BinLaden was a friend in 1980’s (against USSR in Afghanistan) : but is a terrorist in 1990’s.
So just what constitutes terrorism ?
Why is a friend in one decade regarded as a terrorist in the next decade ?
US expediency perhaps ?
Wolfowitz or Cheney or Rumsfeld or Rice : do we rely on them to define what terrorism is ?
This is the danger facing everyone : the who or the what, that defines terrorism.
This Bush government do not have the monopoly on defining who is right or wrong.

Effectively the terrorists have won the war - freedom of movement has been restricted,
aspects of civil liberties and privacy have been taken away from US citizens.
Terrorists have caused a split in the “West” over Iraq.
Petrol prices have rocketed because Iraq’s supply of oil to the world has dropped by 75% (under Hussein, Iraq produced 4m barrels per day, today it is 1m barrels per day).
Democracy being established in Iraq in the foreseeable future, is non-existant.
So you can use any criteria to measure just how unsuccessful this whole saga has been.

Numbers are the only way in which to quantify the extent of how much Bush has got it wrong.
Don’t get me wrong, Chaim, I have a lot of American friends and relatives.
I have a great admiration for your country.
But Bush has seriously dented US credibility throughout the world.

Limerickman,

You attempt to attack my intellect by suggesting that because I obtained my degree later in life, that it is somehow inferior to yours? You must have received your degree so long ago that the United States was considered a "continent?"

This little ditty is an example of your geographical prowess taken from your lengthy post of 14-05-2004 @ 10:48am:

"In comparing France and/or Germany to the USA, you fail to think that you are comparing a continent (USA) to individual countries."

Concerning your unemployment data from some website...My data comes directly from the U.S. Dept of Labor! and my data is current and not two months old like yours.

You state France and Germany are going through rough times...Yes I suppose they are.. They are no longer getting kick-backs from SADAAM!!!! Further, OUR country has suffered from attacks that directly effected our major industries and we are funding the war on terror and as you admit we are sending jobs your way and yet OUR UNEMPLOYMENT IS ALMOST 1/2 of the EU??

Now more than ever, it is obvious that you are the embodiment of what you claim that I am...give it a rest. Hell, even the DEMS have given up on the Economy in their campaign for they know it is a non-issue.

It would be refreshing to see something new besides your quotes from online magazines that are outdated or the "illegal war" rhetoric...

I would like to get back to the subject of this thread. Kerry or Bush. So I would suggest that you have another vote and return to your "policy" of not replying directly to me, since it makes you look foolish. Making fun of the fact that I put myself through school...A mature student...That's your problem.. I have proven that it is never too late to learn.. You have lost the ability long ago...

Finally, giving you "the benefit of the doubt", I actually took a little time to look up your "data" and found it to be old, out of context, and full of half truths..

Kerry or Bush Limerickman that is the name of this thread...Show me some of your "data" that supports Kerry instead of your lame anti-Bush rhetoric!

Bush or Kerry ?
Certainly not Bush.
Kerry ? Being totally frank with you, I have my doubts about Kerry.
I am not particularly impressed with his skills as a politician.
He has Bush on the back foot - yet he has been mute on the disasterous US foreign and economic policy’s.
Kerry has had enough ammunition on which to berate the Bush government but hasn’t chosen to do so.
This is a mistake.
I would vote for Kerry as a protest vote ie to get Bush out and because he is a better candidate (this doesn’t make him a good candidate)
Shows the paucity of candidates and their policies (same situation here in Europe).

I was not attacking your intellect.
I was commenting upon you being a mature student.
But if you are bright enough to gain a qualification - it astounds me that you are unable to draw the correct conclusion from both the current political and economic woes befalling your country.
(and by the way, I am younger than your reported age of 41- I think you said in previous posts. I am 38 - so it’s not that long ago when I got my degree and subsequently passed my professional exams).

The economic data that I quoted is two months old - you are correct.
But if you had any knowledge of financial/economic data, you would know that conclusions can only be drawn from an entire database of economic data, and not specific time periods within a given database.
No economist would dare to suggest that a few months figures, constitute a trend.

The economic data that I referred to in past posts, cover 12 month periods (look at my posts at 18.05.2004 at 7.30pm: the statistics I quote cover 2000-2004).
I draw my conclusions from economic trends and data over a four year period -
and while 11th Sept 2001 was a huge economic shock - it was evident that your economy was in trouble during the first nine months of the Bush presidency.
Your data is based on a couple of months - one swallow doesn’t make a summer !

I actually haven’t lost the ability to learn - I am consistently learning.
As regards my geography - Germany and France have populations which are much smaller than the USA : relative population and size. By comparing the USA to either of these countries, is like comparing a continent to a country.
8.8% unemployment rate in EU is comparable to the USA but remember new countries have just joined the EU and these countries are locations where economic activity was restricted because of communism (Poland, Czechs, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Slovenia, Slovakia).

Finally, I have no wish to be an American citizen or to live in your country, I am very happy here in Old Europe, thank you very much !

Originally posted by limerickman
What constitutes a terrorist or terrorist organization ?
Hussein was a friend of the USA in the 1980’s : but in 2003 he was a terrorist.
Gaddafi was a terrorist in 1989 (Lockerbie) : but he is a friend in 2004.
BinLaden was a friend in 1980’s (against USSR in Afghanistan) : but is a terrorist in 1990’s.
So just what constitutes terrorism ?
Why is a friend in one decade regarded as a terrorist in the next decade ?

Close but not quite...

For example:
Hussein may have been used by the U.S. in the 80's for a short period of time, I concur with that... but he definitely stopped being used by the 90's after all, there was that Gulf war thingy going on...

Friend is the wrong word to use in each scenario...However, there is substantiated evidence to support that Jacques Chirac was friends with Hussein...

Bottom line, America wasn't allied with England while we were fighting the Revolutionary war...France certainly wasn't allied with Germany during WWII...were they? But they are now.
Just a thought....:cool:

Bush or Kerry ?
Certainly not Bush.
Kerry ? Being totally frank with you, I have my doubts about Kerry.
I am not particularly impressed with his skills as a politician.
He has Bush on the back foot - yet he has been mute on the disasterous US foreign and economic policy’s.
Kerry has had enough ammunition on which to berate the Bush government but hasn’t chosen to do so.

Limerickman, first of all, I commend you for your most civil post yet. As for your stand on Kerry? Most who are voting for him would agree that they are voting for him just to take Bush out.

However, from my perspective, voting for just anyone out of protest just is not acceptable to me. I contend that GWB is not perfect..But, we need a President who can make decisions. upon review of Kerry speeches and appearances it is obvious that he panders to the crowd that he is addressing thereby contradicting himself on a daily basis... There 9 out of the 13 or so Vietnam veterans that are pictured in the photo he displays on his campaign ads, have joined a growing movement called "Vietnam veterans against Kerry". Those 9 want their mugs removed from his ads!!! I don't blame them for he betrayed them when he came back to this country...

As far as a trend is concerned, if you had reviewed my data one of my points was that the downward trend was a carry over from Clinton.

Did we enjoy economic boom under Clintons first 4 years...The answer is a resounding YES..Largley due to the dot com boom and his cuts to the military(yes, that ticked me off as it directly affected me)

Certainly if you look at the data with an open mind you will see that the Trend downward started as Clinton was leaving office. Then, 9/11 on top of that.

I appreciate the freedom we enjoy to be able to vote for our leaders...I just don't agree with voting just anyone in out of protest....

The bottom line is if the Dems conclude that the Economy is a "non-issue" then what point are you trying to make?

What do you think will happen when Kerry votes against a repeal on the gas tax?

I see Nader gaining ground and Kerry not capitalizing off of the worse 6 weeks of any sitting president…Just think what will happen when things turn around in Iraq… Kerry will be back in his SUV that he claims he doesn’t own when he addresses environmental groups.….

Limerickman, first of all, I commend you for your most civil post yet. As for your stand on Kerry? Most who are voting for him would agree that they are voting for him just to take Bush out.

However, from my perspective, voting for just anyone out of protest just is not acceptable to me. I contend that GWB is not perfect..But, we need a President who can make decisions. upon review of Kerry speeches and appearances it is obvious that he panders to the crowd that he is addressing thereby contradicting himself on a daily basis... There 9 out of the 13 or so Vietnam veterans that are pictured in the photo he displays on his campaign ads, have joined a growing movement called "Vietnam veterans against Kerry". Those 9 want their mugs removed from his ads!!! I don't blame them for he betrayed them when he came back to this country...

As far as a trend is concerned, if you had reviewed my data one of my points was that the downward trend was a carry over from Clinton.

Did we enjoy economic boom under Clintons first 4 years...The answer is a resounding YES..Largley due to the dot com boom and his cuts to the military(yes, that ticked me off as it directly affected me)

Certainly if you look at the data with an open mind you will see that the Trend downward started as Clinton was leaving office. Then, 9/11 on top of that.

I appreciate the freedom we enjoy to be able to vote for our leaders...I just don't agree with voting just anyone in out of protest....

The bottom line is if the Dems conclude that the Economy is a "non-issue" then what point are you trying to make?

What do you think will happen when Kerry votes against a repeal on the gas tax?

I see Nader gaining ground and Kerry not capitalizing off of the worse 6 weeks of any sitting president…Just think what will happen when things turn around in Iraq… Kerry will be back in his SUV that he claims he doesn’t own when he addresses environmental groups.….

I don't have extensive knowledge of Kerry or what he stands for.
This is my concern - I agree with the view posted by the people who support Bush, ie it is impossible to know what John Kerry
actually stands for.
That being said - I also do not agree that just because I would not vote for Bush (if I was a citizen) that I would automatically vote for Kerry.
In my view it is cynical to vote for someone who you do not want,
just because you don't like the other candidate more !
A persons vote is too precious for that.

The information about the Vietnam vets is very interesting - basically they don't want to vote for one of their own - which is
surprising.

Nader ?
I have no real knowledge about him or his policies.

What I can say ?
Zapper, it is obvious that you are a Republican supporter and I can't criticise you for that.
We all have our political leanings and indeed as you say, we are
fortunate to be able to express those views (sometimes very heatedly !!) openly.
Where we disagree is in respect of George Bush.
I don't have anything against the Republican party - I do feel though that Bush comes from a very polarised viewpoint of that
Republican party.

The next point is controversial - but I think that it is important for a leader to have seen combat.
It is important because those of whom have seen real combat
will do anything - anything - to avoid going to war.
I don't get this impression when I look at Bush - in fact it appears to me that Bush and his people have no real concept of what
is involved - they have never seen mangled bodies in reality.
They have never witnessed open warfare at first hand.
They have never seen, at first hand, just what damage warfare
reeks.

Unfortunately, our country has experienced terrorism for 30 years.
Some of us have seen at first hand, just how destructive terrorism
and bombs are.
The decision to go in to combat should be the very last resort of an person, group or goverment.
It is not a sign of weakness not to strike back.
It is a sign of strength.

Your country is the only superpower left on the planet.
It could crush any enemy - but in doing so, it would also cause the deaths of millions of innocent people.
I think the USA is big enough and strong enough to tackle the problem of terrorism without resorting to what it is now doing in
Iraq.
I fully understand and support your country's invasion of Afghanistan.
The majority of Afghans don't even know where the USA is : a small bunch of bullies allowed a terrorist safe haven.
The Taliban subjected most of those innocent Afghans to a life of misery.
The decision to go in and try to get BinLaden was right and proper.
But Iraq is wrong, in my view.
Those people in Iraq suffered terribly under Hussein.
He slaughtered millions of them.
He allowed his people to starve through UN sanctions.
Those same people now feel oppressed by the USA.
They don't deserve to be treated this way.
Iraq is one of the oldest civilisations in the world : I work with a
Sunni and Shia Iraqi.
They are good, sincere, devout people.
They practice their religion - they both pray five times a day.
They put a catholic like me to shame.
They want to get on with their lives - just like you, me and everyone else.

I don't have extensive knowledge of Kerry or what he stands for.
This is my concern - I agree with the view posted by the people who support Bush, ie it is impossible to know what John Kerry
actually stands for.

Ok...I appologize for this lenghthy post. I feel that there are many.... "Americans" included that can't figure out what he stands for." Listed below is a Bio summary and some key facts about Kerry's military career. I submit that it was not the destinguished career he refers to all to often...

Limerickman, I agree that war is horrible and it is beneficial to have someone in the position who has the authority to send our kids to war to have military experience...However, in my humble opinion, he discredited the uniform and is not worthy to be MY Commander-in-Chief. I would rather elect someone who served in the National Guard than someone like Kerry, who not only killed women and children with his "own hands" and admitted it. He jeapordized the lives of our POW's after he ran back home...He is not JFK! He is more like E.M. K. or more commonly known as Ted Kennedy."He's and excellent driver!"

Anyway, here is some information about Kerry. To me the only choice is Bush. Had the Dems picked Lieberman or even Edwards there may have been a choice. By choosing this loser, they sealed their fate....BTW, I admit that most of this didn't come from a "Kerry" friendly source...it came from his fellow veterans.

"Young John Forbes Kerry grew up well connected in the upper-class due to his Forbes and Winthrop roots. Kerry is said to have idolized John F Kennedy, with whom he and his family socialized. Kerry, often compares himself to John F. Kennedy since he does indeed have the same initials Kerry attended Yale University.

Before graduating in 1966, he tried to defer his draft status for a year by writing to his local recruitment board seeking permission to spend a further 12 months studying in Paris, according to The Harvard Crimson newspaper, which had followed a youthful Mr. Kerry in Boston as he campaigned for Congress in 1970.

In the course of a lengthy article, "John Kerry: A Navy Dove Runs for Congress", published on February 18, 1970, The Harvard Crimson reported: "When he approached his draft board for permission to study for a year in Paris, the draft board refused and Kerry decided to enlist in the Navy.Like John F. Kennedy (who served on a World War II patrol boat, PT 109), Kerry sought to become a naval officer.

After training, Kerry volunteered for Vietnam. He served a relatively uneventful six months, far removed from combat, from December 1967 to June 1968, in the electrical department aboard the USS Gridley, a guided-missile frigate that supported aircraft carriers in the Gulf of Tonkin. His ship returned to its Long Beach, Calif., port on June 6, 1968. Five months later, Kerry went back to Vietnam, securing an assignment as "swift boat" skipper.

Kerry commanded his first swift boat, No. 44, from December 1968 through January 1969. He received no medals while serving on this craft.While in command of Swift Boat 44, Kerry and crew operated without prudence in a Free Fire Zone, carelessly firing at targets of opportunity racking up a number of enemy kills and some civilians. His body count included-- a woman, her baby, a 12 year-old boy, an elderly man and several South Vietnamese soldiers.

Kerry experienced his first intense combat action on Dec. 2, 1968. He was slightly wounded on his arm, earning his first Purple Heart. In late January 1969, Kerry joined a five-man crew on swift boat No. 94 completing 18 missions over 48 days, almost all of them in the Mekong Delta.Kerry earned his second Purple Heart after sustaining a minor shrapnel wound in his left thigh on Feb. 20, 1969.

February 28, 1969:When Kerry's Patrol Craft Fast 94 received a B-40 rocket shot from shore, he hot dogged his craft beaching it in the center of the enemy position. To his surprise, an enemy soldier sprang up from a hole not ten feet from Patrol Craft 94 and fled. The boat's machine gunner hit and wounded the fleeing Viet Cong as he darted behind a hootch. The twin .50s gunner fired at the Viet Cong. He said he "laid 50 rounds" into the hootch before Kerry leaped from the boat and dashed in to administer a "coup de grace" to the wounded Viet Cong. Kerry returned with the B-40 rocket and launcher On March 13, 1969, a mine detonated near Kerry's boat, slighting wounding Kerry in the right arm.

He was awarded his third Purple Heart and a Bronze Star for valorKerry was given a Silver Star for his actions. Kerry was given a Silver Star for his actions. When later asked about the severity of the wounds, Kerry said that one of them cost him about two days of service, and that the other two did not interrupt his duty.

In April 1969, having engineered an early transfer out of the conflict because of his three minor wounds, John Kerry left his crew behind and returned home to a sweet assignment as an aide to Rear Admiral Walter F. Schlech, Jr. Navy rules permited a Sailor who had been wounded three times to return home “if requested!”

In October 1969, while Kerry was still on active duty assigned to Admiral Schlech, Kerry was flying Adam Walinsky (Robert F. Kennedy's former speech writer), around New York state to deliver anti-war speeches. By Jan. 3, 1970, Kerry had become so inspired by Walinsky's anti-war beliefs that he petitioned Admiral Schlech, "to tell his boss that his conscientious dictated that he protest the war, that he wanted out of the Navy immediately so that he could run for congress."

Admiral Schlech consented and Kerry received an honorable discharge from the Navy six months early.

Kerry, a decorated veteran who seemed to be a clone of former President John F. Kennedy, right down to the military service on a patrol boat made a 1970 bid for Congress in Massachusetts' Third District. Kerry's candidacy was soon rejected. Several weeks later, Kerry was featured in a on CBS's "60 Minutes." Correspondent Morley Safer, in the segment portrayed Kerry as an eloquent man who had a "Kennedyesque" future. "Do you want to be president of the United States?" Safer asked Kerry. No," Kerry replied. "That's such a crazy question when there are so many things to be done and I don't know whether I could do them Kerry graduated from Boston College Law School in 1976, then worked as an Assistant District Attorney in Middlesex County.

He was elected Lieutenant Governor in 1982.
Elected to the U.S. Senate in 1984 Re-elected to the Senate in 1990"

Originally posted by keydates
While there has now been a finding of a shell that contains sarin gas, that's not exactly the several hundred pounds that Bush and other supporters had been claiming Saddam had before the war started. Maybe more will come up, maybe not. Only time will tell.

The shell in question posessed two chambers which at impact mixes the contents in those two chambers and produces the deadly gas which by the way is 300-400 times more deadly than cyanide! One drop can kill you, and approx. 3 liters were found here... For your sake and mine we had better hope that we were wrong...However, I don't think so. It took over 4 months to find a "MIG" buried under the sand...How easy to you think it is to hind canisters that are very much smaller than a fighter aircraft??? There is also the shell with mustard gas found on 2 May that is unexplained...I fear that this will not be the last time we hear of a discovery....

WMD's is not the issue...Clinton both B and H, Gore and company have admitted that They had them... Sadaam used them on his own people over 300,000 bodies in mass graves are evidence of that.

The problem I have is that Bush and others seemed very certain on the whereabouts of all these items. Of course, now they are blaming it on bad intelligence (which it might very well be). It really isn't a question on if Saddam had WMD, as you mentioned he used them on the Kurds etc. a while ago. It's did he have them and in the quantity that was suggested in those days and months before the war.

Originally posted by keydates
The problem I have is that Bush and others seemed very certain on the whereabouts of all these items. Of course, now they are blaming it on bad intelligence (which it might very well be). It really isn't a question on if Saddam had WMD, as you mentioned he used them on the Kurds etc. a while ago. It's did he have them and in the quantity that was suggested in those days and months before the war.

I think (my opinion) that he certainly did possess them. I think this latest shell that was found was part of his arsenal. However, I believe an Iraqi fellow, code named "curveball" was feeding the administration with info concerning the mobile labs and did in fact deceive them to that end.

From my perspective, at the end of the day with WMDs or not, we expunged a cancer (Sadaam and sons) and created the possibility where none existed for a civil government in Iraq. We took action while the U.N. refused. He "Saddam" had been shooting at our jets everyday while "we" were enforcing U.N. resolutions. Maybe, just maybe if Sadaam had fully cooperated and stopped shooting at our planes, maybe if there wasn't just tiny bit of doubt that terrorist had been operating in his country, maybe if Saddam had taken the oil for food program seriously and helped his country instead of starving them and lining his own pockets, I would feel we made a mistake by going in.

This from 19 May 04 – “The Scottsman “ newspaper
“Foreign firms paid Saddam commission in oil-for-food deals
KHALED YACOUB - The bulk of goods were supplied by Australian, Vietnamese, Thai, Russian, Jordanian and Syrian firms, said an official. Saudi and US firms were also involved, although as minor players. Under US pressure, the UN is conducting an investigation into possible corruption in the program. The amendment to the Australian wheat contract read: "The United Nations is implementing a price correction at the request of the Coalition Provisional Authority”

However, we are there, we need to stay the course and then get out and let the chips fall where they may. But at the very least don't pull out until they have the best opportunity for a fresh start.

Bush vs Kerry...not contest!:D

Ok...I appologize for this lenghthy post. I feel that there are many.... "Americans" included that can't figure out what he stands for." Listed below is a Bio summary and some key facts about Kerry's military career. I submit that it was not the destinguished career he refers to all to often...

Limerickman, I agree that war is horrible and it is beneficial to have someone in the position who has the authority to send our kids to war to have military experience...However, in my humble opinion, he discredited the uniform and is not worthy to be MY Commander-in-Chief. I would rather elect someone who served in the National Guard than someone like Kerry, who not only killed women and children with his "own hands" and admitted it. He jeapordized the lives of our POW's after he ran back home...He is not JFK! He is more like E.M. K. or more commonly known as Ted Kennedy."He's and excellent driver!"

Anyway, here is some information about Kerry. To me the only choice is Bush. Had the Dems picked Lieberman or even Edwards there may have been a choice. By choosing this loser, they sealed their fate....BTW, I admit that most of this didn't come from a "Kerry" friendly source...it came from his fellow veterans.

"Young John Forbes Kerry grew up well connected in the upper-class due to his Forbes and Winthrop roots. Kerry is said to have idolized John F Kennedy, with whom he and his family socialized. Kerry, often compares himself to John F. Kennedy since he does indeed have the same initials Kerry attended Yale University.

Before graduating in 1966, he tried to defer his draft status for a year by writing to his local recruitment board seeking permission to spend a further 12 months studying in Paris, according to The Harvard Crimson newspaper, which had followed a youthful Mr. Kerry in Boston as he campaigned for Congress in 1970.

In the course of a lengthy article, "John Kerry: A Navy Dove Runs for Congress", published on February 18, 1970, The Harvard Crimson reported: "When he approached his draft board for permission to study for a year in Paris, the draft board refused and Kerry decided to enlist in the Navy.Like John F. Kennedy (who served on a World War II patrol boat, PT 109), Kerry sought to become a naval officer.

After training, Kerry volunteered for Vietnam. He served a relatively uneventful six months, far removed from combat, from December 1967 to June 1968, in the electrical department aboard the USS Gridley, a guided-missile frigate that supported aircraft carriers in the Gulf of Tonkin. His ship returned to its Long Beach, Calif., port on June 6, 1968. Five months later, Kerry went back to Vietnam, securing an assignment as "swift boat" skipper.

Kerry commanded his first swift boat, No. 44, from December 1968 through January 1969. He received no medals while serving on this craft.While in command of Swift Boat 44, Kerry and crew operated without prudence in a Free Fire Zone, carelessly firing at targets of opportunity racking up a number of enemy kills and some civilians. His body count included-- a woman, her baby, a 12 year-old boy, an elderly man and several South Vietnamese soldiers.

Kerry experienced his first intense combat action on Dec. 2, 1968. He was slightly wounded on his arm, earning his first Purple Heart. In late January 1969, Kerry joined a five-man crew on swift boat No. 94 completing 18 missions over 48 days, almost all of them in the Mekong Delta.Kerry earned his second Purple Heart after sustaining a minor shrapnel wound in his left thigh on Feb. 20, 1969.

February 28, 1969:When Kerry's Patrol Craft Fast 94 received a B-40 rocket shot from shore, he hot dogged his craft beaching it in the center of the enemy position. To his surprise, an enemy soldier sprang up from a hole not ten feet from Patrol Craft 94 and fled. The boat's machine gunner hit and wounded the fleeing Viet Cong as he darted behind a hootch. The twin .50s gunner fired at the Viet Cong. He said he "laid 50 rounds" into the hootch before Kerry leaped from the boat and dashed in to administer a "coup de grace" to the wounded Viet Cong. Kerry returned with the B-40 rocket and launcher On March 13, 1969, a mine detonated near Kerry's boat, slighting wounding Kerry in the right arm.

He was awarded his third Purple Heart and a Bronze Star for valorKerry was given a Silver Star for his actions. Kerry was given a Silver Star for his actions. When later asked about the severity of the wounds, Kerry said that one of them cost him about two days of service, and that the other two did not interrupt his duty.

In April 1969, having engineered an early transfer out of the conflict because of his three minor wounds, John Kerry left his crew behind and returned home to a sweet assignment as an aide to Rear Admiral Walter F. Schlech, Jr. Navy rules permited a Sailor who had been wounded three times to return home “if requested!”

In October 1969, while Kerry was still on active duty assigned to Admiral Schlech, Kerry was flying Adam Walinsky (Robert F. Kennedy's former speech writer), around New York state to deliver anti-war speeches. By Jan. 3, 1970, Kerry had become so inspired by Walinsky's anti-war beliefs that he petitioned Admiral Schlech, "to tell his boss that his conscientious dictated that he protest the war, that he wanted out of the Navy immediately so that he could run for congress."

Admiral Schlech consented and Kerry received an honorable discharge from the Navy six months early.

Kerry, a decorated veteran who seemed to be a clone of former President John F. Kennedy, right down to the military service on a patrol boat made a 1970 bid for Congress in Massachusetts' Third District. Kerry's candidacy was soon rejected. Several weeks later, Kerry was featured in a on CBS's "60 Minutes." Correspondent Morley Safer, in the segment portrayed Kerry as an eloquent man who had a "Kennedyesque" future. "Do you want to be president of the United States?" Safer asked Kerry. No," Kerry replied. "That's such a crazy question when there are so many things to be done and I don't know whether I could do them Kerry graduated from Boston College Law School in 1976, then worked as an Assistant District Attorney in Middlesex County.

He was elected Lieutenant Governor in 1982.
Elected to the U.S. Senate in 1984 Re-elected to the Senate in 1990"

I read with interest the post about Kerry’s activities in Vietnam.
It doesn’t cast him in a very favourable light.
I don’t think that trying to regurgitate information from 1966-1970 is indeed
any way to evaluate the suitability of a candidate for president.
This type of re-hashing issues that are not relevant, simply clouds the issue
of who is more suitable to be president of the USA.

Bush’s past life isn’t too great either, is it ?
If you look at Bush’s history - there are plenty of skeletons there.
He’s an alcoholic - he’s a failed businessman - his criminal record has mysteriously
been covered up - he was a complete waster up to the age of 40.
His daddy got him in to the Texas spraycroppers flying division - when he should have
been serving his country in Vietnam.
He lied repeatedly to the people of the USA between 2000-2004.
So, one can dredge up dirt on any candidate in any given election and point and say
“this or that makes this guy a bad candidate”

So let’s move away from who did/didn’t do something in their past life.

The issues for me concerning this presidential race would be :
1.Has Bush been a good president ?
2.Would Kerry make a good president.

Question one for me is clear.
I don’t consider Bush to be a good president for several reasons.
I don’t believe that his foreign policy has made the USA or the world any safer.
In fact I suggest that he has made the world a more dangerous place.
I think that he has mismanaged the US economy - to me it is fundamentally crazy
to deliberately devalue the dollar to try to kick start the economy.
Given that the US dollar has a lot of international currencies pegged to it (like the Yen),
this decision to devalue not only after the USA but countries who currencies are
pegged to the dollar also.
There are other ways in which to generate economic activity - devaluation should only be used as a last resort.

Question two - the answer to this is not so clear.
I don’t know if Kerry would make a good president.
I think he vacillates on issues - he voted to invade Iraq.
He does however get the endorsement of Warren Buffet and George Soros (both economic gurus).
The question for me is, are these two only endorsing Kerry because Bush is so hopeless or does Kerry’s economic plans have some good remedies ?
I suspect that it’s a bit of both.

The real issue for me is the relative weakness of both candidates.
Like it or not, what happens in November 2004, affects the entire world.
Those who claim that Nov.2004 is unimportant in world terms, is living in cuckoo land.
I don’t believe that Bush is the best Republican candidate nor is Kerry the best Democrat
candidate.
They are both poor politicians.
Bush has had four years - and I think that these four years have not been very successful.
His track record is there for people to evaluate.
Kerry ?
We have only his Senate record to measure his performance.

Neither Kerry or Bush are statesmen - never mind politicians.

Re : the war in Iraq, on 19th May 2004, British Television had a one hour program produced by the distinguished journalist Jane Corbin.

In the program, Corbin visited the Maryland town where the notorious 372th Command
are located and interviewed parishioners about the torture and humiliation of Iraqi
prisoners in Iraq.
She also conducted extensive interviews with General Janis Karpinski, had footage of
Lynndie England’s interview with US television, she interviewed Charles Grainers
lawyer (Guy Womack) and she interviewed Haydar Saed who was tortured by Grainer and England,
She also disclosed the names of the military personnel involved in the systematic torture of Iraqi’s.
Corbin also detailed the death in custody of an Iraqi - under the Queens Lancashire Regiment.
Baha Moussa was the victims name.
Corbin also interviewed recently released British suspects from Guantanemo.
Corbin also interviewed the Director of Operations of the Red Cross.

The evidence provided in this program is startling.
General Karpinski is now alleging that General Miller of Guantanemo infamy, was brought to Iraq in summer 2003.
To set the chronology, Karpinski states that the US forces were on the brink, in summer 2003.
Hussein was still free at that time - the UN HQ in Baghdad and it’s chief were blown up - Islamic forces and Ba’athist insurgents were (separately) picking off US troops.
General Miller was brought to Baghdad to “extricate valuable information concerning terrorist activity”.
This meant that the prisons were literally filled with people suspected of being insurgents
in a mass round up of approximately 6,000 people.
The Red Cross have confirmed this number, given by Karpinski.

Karpinski alleges that Miller sought and obtained permission from the US gov. to reopen Abu Ghuraib.
This is important - because to Iraqi’s, Abu Ghuraib is where Hussein imprisoned, tortured and executed literally thousands of people.
Abu Ghuraib, to most Iraqi’s, still engenders enormous fear and terror.
To reopen the weapon of choice of the dictator who the US claimed to oppose, was the start of the psychological torture of the Iraqi people.

Karpinski alleges that Miller requested and obtained the use of military intelligence personnel (MI) to staff the prison.
Karpinski alleges that Miller told her that he would take over the running of all prisons in Iraq.
The Pentagon have confirmed that all prisons were put under the command of Millar.(Cofer Black)
Karpinski alleges that Miller and his officers pulled rank and took direct command over her personnel within 372th command.
This would have included England and Grainer.
Karpinski was informed that military intelligence and contractors (mercenaries) would be delegating duties to her soldiers, as required.
Karpinski alleges that the images in the photographs was not the conduct or behaviour of the officers under her command.
Karpinski alleges that England, grainer etc were order by MI to humiliate and torture the prisoners and to photograph these images “so as to humiliate these prisoners, within the
prison, within Baghdad and to humiliate the muslim people”
The photographs were taken because, “in the muslim culture, it is humiliating to have a naked muslim man in the presence of a clothed white woman. Especially an American woman”.
Karpinski alleges that she was told by Miller that MI were to be given “every assistance, help and co-operation in their activities”.
Karpinski alleges that she did not consider England and Grainer to be willing participants in these ritual.

Grainers history though is aprticularly interesting.
Grianer, from Union Town, Pennsylvania employment record shows that he was charged with gross misconduct in his employment there.

Military Intelligence officers were identified on this program as
Srg.Ivan Frederick
John Isreal (Contractor - Mercenary) of Titan Inc.
Stephen Stephanowicz (Contractor-Mercenary) of CACI Inc.
Thomas Pappas - military intelligance 205th
Steve Jordan - military intelligance 205th

Haydar Saed contradicts Karpinski’s analysis : he identified both Grainer and England.
Haydar said that Grainer enjoyed “positioning our bodies, so that we were humiliated as much as possible”
Haydar says “we were manacled together - we were positioned so that my head was at the feet of my fellow prisoner and our bodies were piled up on each other. You have no
idea how humiliating this is to a muslim, to be exposed like this. He (Grainer) took his time to make sure that we were positioned so that our sexual parts were in the face of the prisoner underneath each of us”
Crying, he says “how can they do that to us - I was imprisoned - I was never charged with anything - I was never involved with any attacks
on American troops. The Americans came to my family’s home and they took me away to that prison. I have never been involved in any fighting - I am a Shia, we welcomed the fall of SH, we welcomed liberation but is this liberation ?”
Haydar says “I saw Grainer with a dog - he was using the dog to attack another prisoner.
I will never forget the screams of terror from that man. Grainer was screaming at the poor man. The man knew nothing and he told him (Grainer) so. But Grainer kept screaming “you’re going to tell us ****er”.
Haydar says that he was physically beaten and punched repeatedly.

The Red Cross (RC) confirmed that these tactics were employed in other prisons in Iraq.
RC confirmed that they met with the US gov. in summer 2003 to discuss their information of prisoner abuse in Iraq.
The RC, for reasons of confidentiality, cannot disclose this information publicly but they have confirmed that they put their data in writing to the US gov.
They are still (summer 2004) awaiting a response from the US gov.
Director of Operations : Pierre Krahenbuhl was interviewed by Corbin.

The lawyer for Grainer states that Grainer was only following orders.
He states that his client is going to provide names and details of those who ordered him to carry out this torture.

It appears that the tactics adopted in Iraq - replicate those adopted in Cuba.
A recently released (and uncharged) detainee has said that similar tactics were used in Cuba.
Inmates are confined to cells 8ft by 4ft : with no sensory stimulation : they are often shackled for hours on end, allowing little or not movement within these cells.
If they move while shackled they are beaten by guards.

It is now evident that not only is the Iraq military campaign been a failure - it’s
ability to win the war on terror is now in question.
I refer in particular to the US inability to obtain intelligence.

Since the outset, we’ve heard a breakdown in intelligence, as the excuse for the US getting it wrong.
The Bush gov. blames “a breakdown of intelligence for 9/11” : “a breakdown in intelligence for WMD” : “a breakdown of intelligence in respect of biological and
nuclear weapons” : “a breakdown of intelligence concerning the war in Iraq”.
The US government even claims that “if we had the intelligence that these abuses
(in Abu Ghuraib) were going on, we would have acted to stop this treatment to prisoners
immediately” quote, Rumsfeld before the Senate Arms Committee.

I suspect that no administration could miscalculate some many issues, at so many times, over a three year period.
It is simply inconceivable that they could get it wrong so much.
Either this administration are complete fools (which they are not) or else they are willfully lying through their collective teeth.
Every intelligence agency knows that physical torture does not extract information.
If physical torture worked (at Cuba), we should be witnessing the demise of the terrorist threat from Al Qaeda.
Instead, the threat steadily increases.
Leaders of Al Qaeda are still at large and are still operating.

Intelligence agencies know that terrorist organizations are subtle.
The undefeated IRA and other organizations operate on a cell structure basis.
This ensures that information is compartmentalized within the overall terrorist structure.
The use of physical torture only enforces a suspects will to not concede information.
Andy McNab the former SAS officer has stated “the IRA actually gained recruits because
of the decision by our country to engage in physical and psychological torture - it was their best recruitment policy, the evidence of our treatment of them (IRA).
They didn’t crack under torture - and when released they’d show their beatings to the
mates and they’d join up, to avenge us (the British Army)”
And even when we did manage to extract some useful data, we could not be certain that this information would actually progress our struggle against terrorism in Northern Ireland.
We found that by engaging with them - by using what’s known as human intelligence,
that is, infiltration of the IRA - were we able to get sustainable and truthful data”

What is going on in Iraq with those prisoners has nothing whatsoever to do with General
Millers objective of trying to get intelligence information.
It is simply an attempt by an occupying force to humiliate a nation.
What is going on in Iraq is despicable.
The Bush gov are not interested in the cost of it’s own citizens lives - much less of those who happen to be non-americans in Iraq.

I read with interest the post about Kerry’s activities in Vietnam.
It doesn’t cast him in a very favourable light.
I don’t think that trying to regurgitate information from 1966-1970 is indeed
any way to evaluate the suitability of a candidate for president.
This type of re-hashing issues that are not relevant, simply clouds the issue
of who is more suitable to be president of the USA.

I don’t consider Bush to be a good president for several reasons.
I don’t believe that his foreign policy has made the USA or the world any safer.
In fact I suggest that he has made the world a more dangerous place.
I think that he has mismanaged the US economy - to me it is fundamentally crazy
to deliberately devalue the dollar to try to kick start the economy.
Given that the US dollar has a lot of international currencies pegged to it (like the Yen),
this decision to devalue not only after the USA but countries who currencies are
pegged to the dollar also.
There are other ways in which to generate economic activity - devaluation should only be used as a last resort.

Lim, I can identify with a few of your points, well taken indeed. The only reason that Kerry's past is an issue is:

A. HE keeps bringing it up in his own ads and every opportunity he gets...So, if you are going to brag about it every time you have an opportunity, expect it to be a factor...right?

B. He brought up Bush's past military career first..I believe it was plastered all over CNN for several weeks...Funny how a young Bush is considered a playboy and a young Kerry is a patriot? My point? It's was ok to bring up Bush's past but let us mention Kerry's then it's a mute point?

C. Some find it hard to understand that some of us feel that the Media is a Liberal mouth piece...This is a prime example. You don't hear any anything concerning Kerry and his past deeds. but we endured almost a month straight of whether GWB showed up on time charges of records being doctored etc... I can tell you that being in the military I've seen Active Duty Service records lost... both paper and electronic versions, much less records from 40 years ago.

As far as the Economy like I said..I'm not an economist but in my humble opinion, he has done a fine job.

I cited reports from the U.S. department of Labor, not a "independent private organization. The data I see shows job growth up, unemployment slowly decreasing and the deficit figures that were projected were exaggerated. it is actually decreasing and 400 bil is projected not the 516 bil or so that your sources indicated. Now that the economy has taken hold, interest rates will be raised so the it doesn't overheat... I fail to see the gloom and doom here... I really feel here that not enough credit is being given to the bush admin for saving our economy post 9/11.

As far as a choice goes..I will attach just a snapshot of Kerry's voting record on the following post to keep this short...Finding adverse information on Kerry is too easy...

The choice is easy....:cool: